cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

HWinfo64 Power Reporting Deviation

I have looked around the internet, and found information regarding the HWinfo64 metric "Power Reporting Deviation" and how it is not valid while the system is not under load, however I am still slightly concerned that on my system the values stay in the red and are very low at idle. 

Here is an image of the system at idle. 

cpurpe91_0-1688442532711.png

There are no thermal issues, and while under load it reads within 95%-100%, I am just not sure why seemingly overnight the metric went from reading 100%+ at idle to below 100%. 

I have updated my BIOS and reset everything to UEFI defaults. XMP is enabled, CSM disabled, Secure Boot enabled, and SVM is disabled.
I have reinstalled Windows.
I have changed my Power Plan settings.
I have tried different chipset drivers as well.

My machine appears to run properly, with the occasional stutter in some games, but that is normal.

I can't think of why the machine would read one way, and just start reading what it does now.

As I previously stated, HWinfo's forum posts insist the reading is meaningless when not under load. Am I just being paranoid? Should I try changing BIOS settings, like turning on "Low Current Idle"?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
1 Solution
qbtheslayer
Challenger

It IS a meaningless number unless the system is under 100% load...  It's as simple as that.

QB

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Jurn
Journeyman III

Did you ever find a fix? I feel like I notice frame drops and I’m not sure what to chalk it up to

0 Likes
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

I never found a fix. I'm just assuming all is well with my PC. I haven't had any performance issues.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes
qbtheslayer
Challenger

It IS a meaningless number unless the system is under 100% load...  It's as simple as that.

QB

Thanks for the replies. I figured as much, and I did read on the official HWinfo forums that it was a meaningless metric unless the PC is under full load. I read in the mid 90s under full load, and have had no real reason to investigate further. I score well within range of others in benchmarks, so I gave up trying to figure out what it meant. 

I will leave this open as others may be curious and this is just more affirmation that everything is fine.

0 Likes

Here's a simple test, open hwinfo64 & cpu-z.

Reset hwinfo, run cpu-z stress. should be around 96% if good mobo spec?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..