Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

eband
Adept II

How to remove and pack away the processor in a package

I have a few questions:

1. When I remove the Ryzen fan I just wiggled the fan and it came came off without me pulling/lifting it out. The thing didn't break itself nor the CPU, to my knowledge, and the CPU was still in the slot. However, I want to know how this is done from now on.

2. I hear that if I pack away the Ryzen processor in the original boxing, the pins will bend. How should I do it from now on?

0 Likes
4 Replies

Here is AMD Support Webpage on how to pack your AMD Processor to be shipped: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/rma-01

0 Likes
eband
Adept II

About the fan, what I meant was that I wiggled the fan and the heatsink and the things detached themselves from the processor; the processor was still in the socket and didn't come out, so the operation seemed successful. I did not lift it out, I just gave it a light wiggle.

Should I do it like that from now on, me not lifting it?

0 Likes

It might help to know the processor model, stock fan or aftermarket model.

They shouldn't detach like that, the locking mechanism may not have been engaged fully.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Besides referring to AMD's support page, can you please tell me how I should have done it?

When I pulled it out the first time, there was damage made to the processor, The second time, after unscrewing the Wraith Stealth cooler, I just wiggled it as was shown in many Youtube videos. the heatsink/fan would just come off without much resistance; I did not pull it.

I bought a Ryzen 5 5600G. At this point, replacing it is not a problem, but should the time comes to wipe clean the old thermal paste and then applying a new one, how should I do it?

EDIT: When I said "wiggle," I meant twist, using a small amount of back and forth sideways force. I did that instead of just forcing it out. Is that the proper way to do it at all?

0 Likes