cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ItsOK2L0SE
Adept I

High cpu temps when running games

I am using a ryzen 7700x with an rtx 4070 gigabyte gaming and when switching to direct x 12 on fortnite my cpu temperatures spike to over 96 degrees celsius and my frames per second fluctuate from 165 what i have capped it at to 3 or 4 making my pc fans take off and the game unplayable.

Is this normal?
I am using a 750watt psu from corsair if that has anything to do with it and on direct x 11 my temperatures aren’t too bad. I have a 240mm aio from nzxt kraken elite and a total of.six fans in my case which i think is enough.

Also, in windows my monitor only lets you select a refresh rate up to 143.91 hz instead of the advertised 165hz so does anyone know any way to fix this it is an aoc 27inch 1440p display.

Even when playing fortnite in direct x 11 my frames per second in fortnite go from a normal 165 down to in the 50s often making for a very inconsistent experience apparently this may be because of clashing software and i just did many drivers and a windows update so that may be why. Should i reset my pc to clear any files or is there something better i should be doing.

Sorry for the high amount of questions but it is really stressful for me and i am starting to regret building a pc.

Thanks to anyone who can help me with any of these issues.

2 Solutions
misterj
Big Boss

ItsOK2L0SE, 7700X maximum temperature is 95C, so doubt you are seeing higher. Please talk to AOC about frame rates. Is this a fresh install of W? or a processor change. You may need to do a fresh install of Windows. Please do a Clear CMOS, run Cinebench R24 and post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM). Thanks and enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

ItsOK2L0SE; Ryzen Master (RM), Cinebench.  Third party utilities are always suspicious in my eyes. RM is an AMD utility and I trust it. I assume this is a store bought system? Please show us the RM temperature, but I expect you are OK. CMOS is the memory in BIOS with parameters controlling the system. A Clear CMOS puts all these back to default and cures many problems. On most home built systems there is a Clear CMOS button or jumper. There are several ways to install a fresh copy of Windows, but I do not think you need that at this time. Thanks and enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

31 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

ItsOK2L0SE, 7700X maximum temperature is 95C, so doubt you are seeing higher. Please talk to AOC about frame rates. Is this a fresh install of W? or a processor change. You may need to do a fresh install of Windows. Please do a Clear CMOS, run Cinebench R24 and post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM). Thanks and enjoy, John.

Where can i download cinebench r24?

Also my nzxt aio display is what tells me my temperatures and it says 96 degrees when using dx12.

What is a CMOS and how can i do a fresh install of windows?
Thanks for all the support it really helps, ItsOK2L0SE.

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE; Ryzen Master (RM), Cinebench.  Third party utilities are always suspicious in my eyes. RM is an AMD utility and I trust it. I assume this is a store bought system? Please show us the RM temperature, but I expect you are OK. CMOS is the memory in BIOS with parameters controlling the system. A Clear CMOS puts all these back to default and cures many problems. On most home built systems there is a Clear CMOS button or jumper. There are several ways to install a fresh copy of Windows, but I do not think you need that at this time. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Downloading cinebench now but i’m not sure about the CMOS but i will get to it i tested fortnite at direct x 11 and teh exact same settings at dx12Testing at idleTesting at idleMy dx11 settingsMy dx11 settingsThe full settings for dx11The full settings for dx11Ryzen master on dx11Ryzen master on dx11My frame rate in  fortniteMy frame rate in fortniteLoading into fortnite after changing to dx12 in settingsLoading into fortnite after changing to dx12 in settingsRyzen master loading inRyzen master loading inStill loading inStill loading inIMG_1361.jpegSame thingSame thingSuper inconsistent frame rate on dx12 sometimes going below 20 making the game unplayableSuper inconsistent frame rate on dx12 sometimes going below 20 making the game unplayableGets better and worse every couple secondsGets better and worse every couple secondsRyzen master in the dx12 gameRyzen master in the dx12 gameMore inconsistent Fps and high tempsMore inconsistent Fps and high temps

0 Likes

i noticed the temperatures displayed on my aio from nzxt  cam were not the same as those on ryzen master which one of them is right and how can i make it so both display the correct info?
Also, with the cinebench download i downloaded it from chrome off of Maxon.net and it just puddles the files into a folder so i am extracting them but i don’t really know how it works i located the actual application in the folder and opened it but when i did that my cpu temps went straight to max and my fans sped up like crazy i’m not sure what i should do right now on cinebench but here is a photo nonetheless.

I don’t know what extracting means but i think it just copied all the files so now do i have two of them clogging up storage?
I don’t really know as this is my first pc and i built it myself.image.jpg

ItsOK2L0SE, you do not need to do anything about the Clear CMOS. Readings from RM are the ones used internal to the processor and we take them as correct. You can ask your AIO vendor about the temperature, but RM is the one to rely on. All the temperatures in your pictures are well below 95C and fine. You were correct to extract Cinebench download and to execute the cinebench.exe file. It is distributed as a portable executable and is not installed. To run Cinebench, please open it and then start CPU (Multi Core). Have RM running before running Cinebench. I need to see the Advanced View of RM. Ryzen processor will make sure it does not exceed limits like temperature, so do not worry about that. Please post a screenshot.

Are you using the GPU in the processor or the rtx 4070? I suspect you are not using the rtx 4070. This maybe the frame rate problem. Please make sure you are using the rtx 4070. Please ask more questions. Thanks and enjoy, John.

My monitor is connected to the graphics card not the motherboard so that should mean that the gpu processor is being used but if there is anything else i need to do then please let me know?

IMG_1372.jpegI will speak to Nzxt about the temperatures displayed and give you updates on the cinebench test tomorrow thank you for all the help. When my pc boots the full gigabyte logo has started to not show up in the centre as shown in the image. This has only started occurring since all my other problems but i don’t know what it means.
I couldn’t capture all of the temperatures with my photos but it far exceeded what was shown and reached 95 degrees when loading up cinebench every time i load into an application or a game is usually when my temperatures are consistently highest whereas while using them they are more random but when my fps lowers my temps increase most of the time.

I will run all cinebench tests tomorrow but am i correct in saying that i don’t need a CMOS?

Best wishes, ItsOK2L0SE

Yes, ItsOK2L0SE, no need at this time for a Clear CMOS. Check your MB manual to see how to do it, though. I also have a Gigabyte MB and what I see is the Gigabyte logo with a DP on top of part of the logo in the center. Goes away in a few seconds. This is the monitor showing what interface is being used, Display Port (DP) in my case. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I just got results in for the cinebench test and my cpu on the multi core test (ryzen 7700x) got a score of 1093 pts  which is fourth in the rankings on cinebench and while testing my cpu temperatures went up to 95 degrees on my aio screen and on ryzen master 94 degrees.

I have looked up other scores online and they are getting more than double what i got so that makes me slightly unsure of things but while testing i confirmed with my parents that my aio was whirring and one pipe was hotter than the other and they agreed that both things were as they should be.

Does this mean there is something wrong with my CPU?
Thanks for all the help, ItsOK2L0SE.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Hi, temperatures is a highly debated topic in this forum and they also depend on many factors.

Some like ambient room temperature, type of case, fan position, cooler selection, thermal paste and how was it applied, is the cooler well seated and If they have a plastic peel, some have, was it taken off? Some higher end boards also ship with tweaked settings, some RoG boards normally come with PBO enabled instead of Auto, they are quite different. And so on and so on.

Finally, you have the safe operating temperature and other opinions. My opinion, during gaming, anything above 85 on a 7700X is too much.

Here is a stock 7700X on cyberpunk not breaking 60C, just browse youtube for what average gamers are getting.

Screenshot_20240218-000530_YouTube_1.jpg

I'm saying this because not even my 7950X gets hotter than 80ish, and that is a far more toasty CPU. Even though mine is a little bit tweaked.

What can you do for safety, check if your cooler is working well. Take the panel off and hear if the pump is making whirring noises (which is good) and if one of the tubes is colder than the other. If both are pretty hot, thats bad.

Do a clear CMOS and use Ryzen Master or HWiNFO to monitor only, those are accurate. The board vendors sensor suite, If you have one, is much more comprehensive, and should, in theory, be more accurate. At least ASUS one is much more accurate than even Ryzen Master but can be very misleading as they read from several places of the CPU, the CPU, around the CPU and the board under the CPU. All these can be confusing.

Also, take into consideration that fan curves need to be adjusted with their software package in mind or on the BIOS.

Example: Fans will ramp up with specific sensors, not what Ryzen Master or others read. If you have the fans of the radiator hooked to a special controller, they rpm increase is set by that software readings. I usually connect to the board headers and so they will only "Obey" to ASUS software, FansXpert or Armoury Crate readings.

Do some troubleshooting, thats my advice. Because 96C and games getting unplayable, theres something there....

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I noticed that your gpu temperatures are quite high but my cpu has never gone above 60 degrees so maybe i am not utilising my gpu and putting too much pressure on my cpu but the monitor is plugged into my gpu so i’m not sure.

For my case i am using an NZXT h5elite with a 240mmaio and 6 fans including 2 140mm and 4 120mm 2 of which are found in the aio. My fans are definitely running fast because my cpu heats up they take off in sound. My idle temperatures on my pc however are usually below 40 but i’m not sure if that is good or bad my motherboard is a gigabyte gaming x ax b650. I mostly use NZXT CAM as my software for my fans. and aio and from my personal experience it is fine. My aio came with pre applied thermal paste without a sticker but there was protective cover which i had to remove.

I will run cinebench and do a CMOS clear tomorrow  as well as checking my aio pump.

I will report to this forum tomorrow with all results.

Thank you for all help, ItsOK2L0SE

0 Likes

Just noticed i had a usb for my wireless headset plugged into my bios usb slot, is this bad?

Im getting to the Clear CMOS now.

Best wishes, ItsOK2L0SE

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE, I would suggest not a good idea, so use another USB. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I did a clear CMOS and a cinebench test and when testing fortnite on dx 11 just like dx12 the temperatures get really high and the frames go below 20 making it completely unplayable on both settings when it was fine before all my problems started.I got a bad score compared to other users for my cpu and the temperature was pretty much locked at 95 degrees including on RM during the full benchmark.

In all my gameplay my Gpu stays at 46 degrees when my cpu is constantly high. I have checked my aio and it is working fine. 

I really don’t know what to do at this point as i have tried everything.

Is it time to reset my pc?
Thanks for all the help, ItsOK2L0SE

0 Likes

I cleared CMOS and did all the checks to make sure that my aio is working fine and made sure that there was whirring and one pipe was colder than the other so i will do more trouble shooting to try and fix my problems.

Many thanks, ItsOK2L0SE.

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE, please post the RM images so I can see if you really have a problem. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

IMG_1386.jpegIMG_1385.jpegGot higher than these temps many times but this is while i was doing the multi core test on cinebench

Got a low score compared to others. Got a clear CMOS but nothing has changed with games being unplayable.

0 Likes

Thanks, ItsOK2L0SE, this temperature is fine; you even have a little headroom. I'll post of what I want to see. I think these types of temperature are fine and I suspect you are still remembering the AIO readings. Please run Cinebench multi core and post a screenshot. Thanks, John.

Mine:

RM+Cinebench.jpg

0 Likes

Even if my cinebench temperatures on RM were not quite at 95 that still doesn’t explain why i got a low score compared to others with the same cpu and why my games are unplayable. I will re test Cinebench when i can but i only have the RM images i posted so far when testing cinebench and i don’t know how to access the full view like you have in the image. 

Thanks for all the help.

Best wishes, ItsOK2L0SE

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE, we are working multiple problems here. My first is to answer the high temperature of which I have seen no evidence. Here's how to get a screenshot, then post it your reply.  Please ask any questions you have. Post the Cinebench score with the screenshot. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Still a pretty rubbish cinebench scoreStill a pretty rubbish cinebench scoreTemperatures stayed at 95 degrees or a fraction over 90% of the time while the other 10% it dipped to high 94.8….. degreesTemperatures stayed at 95 degrees or a fraction over 90% of the time while the other 10% it dipped to high 94.8….. degreesIMG_1425.jpegWent up to 97 degrees on my aio coolerWent up to 97 degrees on my aio coolerIMG_1418.jpegusually just a fraction over 95 in RMusually just a fraction over 95 in RMIMG_1415.jpegIMG_1414.jpegHopefully displays a bit more infoHopefully displays a bit more infoIMG_1411.jpegIMG_1401.jpegIMG_1397.jpeg

0 Likes

Thanks, ItsOK2L0SE. Your score compares well with others, see here. Your processor is throttling due to CPU Power and Temperature (red meters) and pending PPT (yellow meter). These limits are set by the MB vendor and can be raised, but that is considered overclocking by AMD. I guess you could not figure out how to take and post a screenshot. I put a link in my last reply for screenshot. Ask for help if needed. I suspect you are just up against your MB limits. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I don’t get how it is overclocking when i never asked it to but are you saying that i could get more out of my cpu but it is limited by the power that it is being supplied? How come my cpu randomly spikes in games and other apps if the cinebench is fine making them unusable? If my MB is a problem then does that mean that i picked a bad one for my build it is a gigabyte b650 gaming x ax.

Thanks for all the help, ItsOK2L0SE.

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE, only overclocking if you change the limits. You should make sure your cooler is installed properly. I run my pump and all my fans straight from 12 Volts. PPT and CPU are referring to power supplied by the MB VRM. You can try to get more air to it. Windows schedules the task to the processor. The processor goes to work and the speed picks up. If this leads to throttling, then spikes until back under the exceeded limit. What version of MB do you have? Gigabyte is on 1.5 and there have been a number of improvements. I am not a gamer, so it is hard for me to comment. I do think it is worth a try to go into BIOS and set all fans and the pump on full speed. It may be too noisy, but well worth the test. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

I am pretty sure my pump is installed correctly and it gets pretty loud already so i’m wondering if the problem might be with my thermal paste.

My MB is a gigabyte b650 gaming x ax.

Thanks for all the information.

Best wishes, ItsOK2L0SE

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE, probably not. What paste did you use? Thanks, John.

0 Likes

The default nzxt one that came with my cooler.

0 Likes

ItsOK2L0SE, that is probably ok. I use Arctic Silver 5, but mostly because it is what I have always used with no problems. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

If you troubleshooted the AIO and its fine, then have you tighen it well to make contact with the cooler block?

Another thing, does it help when the side panel is off?

Try disabling PBO to see if it changes.

If all fails, could be good if you had a friend with an AM5 board to check the CPU.

Or last resort, scan for malware, there could be a background task eating up your CPU. Repair/reset or completely reinstall Windows. Run it afterwards with only adrenalin if the frame gets hit again.

Its troubleshooting time all around but to be honest with you, sounds more like insuficient cooling or a setting thats pushing the CPU too hard.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I scanned for malware but there is none to be found and i have made sure that the aio is tight. All my settings were medium to begin with and my fps is at 165 when it doesn’t suddenly drop to 50 or below every other second making it unplayable. To be honest i think that it is most likely a cpu issue because ever since i got it my cpu has had high temps when doing anything but good in idle. PBO was also not enabled to begin with.

0 Likes

If you don't have a way to test it on another system, you could follow your hunch and RMA the CPU.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes