cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Ryoko561
Journeyman III

HELP! AMD Ryzen 7950X3D temperature spikes/thermal throttling!

I’m experiencing thermal issues and I’m not sure what to do. Last night, I was gaming with no issues, temps were normal. Today, 30 min-1hr into gaming, my PC randomly shut down and did not restart. I pushed the power button and it powered back on without issue.

I rebooted the PC and began installing updates like I usually do when I get an error of some sort. Windows 11 did not have any new updates. I saw a new BIOS update (Update 1415 for my ASUS motherboard) and new chipset driver (5.05.16.539) so I began to install them. 

I started with the new chipset driver, uninstalling the old drivers. During the new chipset driver update I got the BSOD with the “driver power state failure” error message and my PC rebooted itself. Once my PC booted back up I retried and completed the new chipset driver install. I then ran the BIOS update without issue and rebooted again. 

After rebooting, I immediately noticed a high idle temp for my CPU in the BIOS (67-71°C). In the Adrenalin software, it was sitting at 67°C. I decided to run a game, and all of the numbers were fluctuating on the Adrenalin metrics overlay except for the CPU temp. It was stuck on 67°C, which was odd. The game then suddenly crashed with a driver timeout message. I updated the Adrenalin software to the most current version after the timeout message.

I called a buddy for help and he didn’t trust the Adrenalin metrics display, so he had me download a third party application to check my hardware status. He checked to see if my case was having ventilation issues, it was fine. We then booted up hogwarts legacy for a stress test, my minimum temps were in the 70’s with a max of 95°C, resulting in thermal throttling. I went back to older chipset drivers, but temperatures were still spiking. 

I’m not sure what’s happening, idk if the BSOD during the chipset install ruined my CPU? I checked my AIO pump fan in BIOS and it is working, and I can hear the fluid through the tubes on PC startup. As started earlier, temps/functionality was just fine the previous day so I personally don’t think there’s an issue with the AIO/thermal paste application?
0 Likes
2 Replies
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

If you think it all happened after a windows update, just roll back to a older restore point. 

Windows Updates are well known to mess a thing or two sometimes. 

HINT 

Every time you are about to do any update, any! Either be Adrenalin, Armoury Crate, any! Create a windows restore point.

Lost track of how many times it saved me from a bad armoury crate update. 

For sensor monitor, use HWiNFO64. Although, at least for me. HWiNFO, adrenalin, Armoury Crate and core temp report every temp reliable. 

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

Try downgrading your BIOS back to the one you had before and see if your processor's temps goes back to the way they were before.

It is possible your new BIOS version might be the cause of the issue. AMD Chip set driver shouldn't cause your processor to overheat.

Check to see if the new BIOS version, by default, has Settings for your processor that might be causing it to be overclocked or boosting .

Also check Windows Task Manager and see if you have any 3rd party program running in the background that might be scanning or some other behavior causing your processor to run hotter.

But still your CPU Cooler should be able to prevent your CPU from overheating under any type of loads unless you manually overclocked the processor past your CPU Cooler's TDP rating.

0 Likes