Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

blob86
Journeyman III

Getting random BSOD's with 7900X

Hi all,

I recently built a new rig but am experiencing BSOD's seemingly at random. I'll just be watching a video on YouTube and the system will crash. I've tried running Memtest86 overnight and it's OK. I also tried OCCT's CPU and RAM stress tests and they pass with no errors, but I'll do something innocuous like open a random program or open a menu and the system will crash. In fact I had a BSOD while writing this post.

My specs:
CPU: Ryzen 9 7900X (Eco mode via BIOS)
RAM: 32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 CL30 5600MHz
Mobo: ASRock B650 Pro RS
PSU: Seasonic Focus 650W

My CPU and RAM clock / voltage settings are all at default or auto. I have tried turning off EXPO and running at the default 4800MHz but I still get crashes, just less frequently. I have RMA'd my previous motherboard (MSI Pro B650-P Wifi) which was having the same issues. They had a beta BIOS that claimed to improve stability with EXPO but I didn't install it because I wasn't comfortable using a beta BIOS and my RMA window was expiring. ASRock also has released two beta BIOSes after the last stable version. Before updating the BIOS, the instability was so bad I could barely use the OS and even the BIOS would freeze or crash (both mobo's). How could this even be possible while running at default settings?

Has anyone had similar problems or know what's the culprit? I'm looking at the RAM with suspicion, maybe I should return it and get a 5200MHz kit which is the fastest officially supported speed. I really hope it's not the CPU because the RMA window on that has expired.

Thanks

0 Likes
0 Replies