Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

sxvereign
Adept I

Game Framerate Issues

Hello to everyone - first time posting,

To clarify in advance, I have a rudimentary knowledge of these things, but I am not overly savvy with the PC space - I may need a little bit of hand-holding here and there. I apologise in advance.

Today, I upgraded to a Ryzen 7 5800x from a Ryzen 5 3600. Installation went smoothly, updated BIOS, etc, however I have noticed upon trying various games that my PC is currently performing at a notably lower framerate than what I was achieving with my previous CPU. I have made sure Windows is fully up to date, there are no driver conflicts, enabled XMP - nothing that I have done seems to have alleviated my issues. With my prior CPU, I was having zero issue at all and things seemed to be running fine prior to my installation of the 5800x.

I'd like to clarify that--at least from what I've seen--it doesn't seem to be a temperature issue as the CPU has not exceeded 75C, however, it does seem to jump anywhere between 45C to 75C at random intervals whilst a game is running. I have also attempted to crank down in-game settings to their lowest, however I only seem to gain a marginal difference in performance between low vs. high settings. The CPU's load seems to be quite low whilst testing games, and seldom rises above 10%.

I'm really not sure what's going on, and I don't think I have the know-how to fix this myself. I would really appreciate some potential advice. PC specs are as follows:

- Ryzen 7 5800x 3.8GHz (Cooler is NZXT T120 RGB)
- Radeon 5600 XT MSI MECH OC
- Corsair Vengeance LPX (4x8GB, 3200MHz) 32GB
- MSI X570-A PRO
- 1TB Sabrent Rocket Gen 4 NVME SSD
- 2TB Crucial P3 PCIe Gen 3 NVME SSD
- Corsair RM750

Feel free to ask for any additional information if necessary.

4 Replies
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Is the problem occurring with every game, or is it specific titles? I have an RX 5600 XT that did struggle with some games, and many newer games would probably need upscaling to achieve a solid 60 FPS experience.

Are the framerate issues accompanied by a crash, or is it strictly just lower performance than you experienced with your old CPU?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB

Hi - thanks for the response.

Oddly, one game--Darktide, of all things--doesn't actually seem to have taken an FPS hit, or at least hasn't from what I can recall my prior performance being. I tested on Darktide (as stated), FFXIV, Battlefront 2, Deep Rock Galactic and Warframe, and all but the first are running at notably lower frames (albeit to different degrees - FFXIV seemed the most impacted, as it's currently stuck at around 25 frames on the lowest settings.)

I do understand that the RX 5600 XT isn't the best of cards (currently upgrading parts - GPU is next on the list), however on the games that I have mentioned in this post, all of them were running very smoothly on medium to high settings prior to changing CPU, so I'm really not certain where the culprit lies.

As for the mention of crashing, no - nothing seems to crash, it just seems that games run far slower than usual. To clarify additionally, nothing seems wrong or slow with the desktop itself, video playback seems unaffected, etc - it's just games.

0 Likes

So the only thing that changed between now, and then, is the CPU?

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
0 Likes

Yes, that is correct.

0 Likes