cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Xeraser
Journeyman III

Unsure about building due to (still) worrying SoC voltages (7950X + Strix X670E + 2x32 6000MHz)

I've had the parts stated above since February/March except the RAM, by the time it finally got here the whole exploding 7000s debacle had already happened. 
My board is the Strix X670E-E rather than the oddly more common(ly explosive) Crosshair Hero and I've found reports of SoC voltage spikes past 1.3 (varying from 1.35 all the way to 1.4+) even on the latest AGESA 1.0.0.7.a BIOS (1416 for this particular board)

Could other users with the same CPU/MB combo report their SoC voltages? Some claim the spikes only occur with the SoC set to auto, some claim that they occur even with SoC set manually to something as "low" as 1.2v
I don't want to play voltage watchdog but I can't return the board either despite never opening the box and I don't really want to risk frying anything attached to the motherboard.

0 Likes
10 Replies
Xeraser
Journeyman III

Anyone?

0 Likes

Might be better to ask on the asus rog forum, probably find more user experiences there.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Call me paranoid but I'm thinking people would be a bit biased there. Though I guess I might as well give it a shot.

0 Likes
SirSuperDeath
Journeyman III

Could always check Youtube or reddit to see if people are still reporting SOC Issues. 
But i think most of them got fixed with bios updates.

0 Likes

I did, that's why I started this thread to begin with.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

There are still some reports of overvoltage like you said but the issue itself never was wide spread enough, too much hype for a ultra low failure rate. 

Its also a relatively easy problem to solve, just use manual voltage. 

I too use a RoG Strix X670e with 7950X and after the issue appeared, I checked my SoC voltage and it kinda was too high for my taste.

Manually reduced CPU SoC and VDDIO MC to 1,2v. (actually its even lower now, 1,18v)

Super stable system and EXPO, HWiNFO never reported a spike. 

The Englishman
0 Likes

"too much hype for a ultra low failure rate. " isn't a good mindset, it's a latent failure at this point. The silicon will degrade sooner than later. Maybe it won't result in a catastrophic failure/a safety hazard but that's not really reassuring.

"Its also a relatively easy problem to solve, just use manual voltage. "

That's the issue. People are still reporting spikes despite setting the voltages manually - specifically on ASUS boards from what I've seen. 

0 Likes

Interesting. I have basically the same stuff, .... your holding in a pile in your room, and been running it since last November. Oh, except i run my memory at 6200, expo, the entire deal.  Had a 7600x,  a 7950x. and slapped a 7800x3d in the day of launch. 

You are reading to much on the internet. But, if your scared, sell all the gear and move on. And, no one is reporting burnt cpus. I havent seen a burnt board or cpu in months. If you actually saw what the issue was, it wasnt just "soc voltage", and, it was actually not easy to reproduce.  I cant speak much, as i only have 2 x670e asus boards........  Guess im just lucky. If your that worried and scared, sell it (ill take it all, ill send you a email, and cheap of course, because they are in fact over mindset broken") Im sending you a email now. Got cash on hand. 

So, if your worried, then, why ask? Sell the stuff (to me) and move to something else that you read on the internet works flawlessly.  Cheers and best of luck. 

0 Likes

Yeah, no thanks. Nice try though.

0 Likes

edit- which part do you mean?

Ive been running 1416 the day it came out, and, all the ones past. My gear is still running like a top....

Also, im just saying if your going to be all sorts of worried, and not build the rig, and keep it in a pile in the corner of your room, let me take it off your hands, and cheap, as according to you and the internet, its broken. Find my email on this site, and sell it to me. Ill take the entire lot.  I have paypal, or whatever money transaction site you use ready. 

0 Likes