cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

dylanday2017
Adept I

fTPM Screen, Can't use keyboard

I just installed a new CPU in my PC and have booted it up to the fTPM screen where it asks me to press Y or N to either reset the fTPM or not.

The problem is that the computer will not respond to keyboard inputs at all. The keyboard is plugged in with its USB cord and lights up and is on, but the PC won't respond to me pressing anything. I can't get past this screen because of this and have found no info online anywhere.

Is there some way for me to get through this step that I'm missing? I'm very new to doing PC upgrading.

0 Likes
1 Solution

You are a lifesaver. The USB to PS/2 adapter finally arrived. Got through using that, and windows is up and running.  Thank you!

For anyone finding this forum thread in the future, plug your usb keyboard into the USB to PS/2 adapter (linked below on Amazon). Dong so should allow you to use your keyboard in the BIOS instance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5MYE72?psc=1&smid=A10RLP3JOTR16H&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

View solution in original post

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

dylanday2017, very strange. Please try all USB sockets on your board. I suggest you open a Main Board support request. Good luck, John.

0 Likes

Thank you for the response. I've tried all of the USB ports to the same result unfortunately. How can I open this up as a main board support request? Sorry, new here.

0 Likes

Your mouse doesn't work?

Or you don't have a mouse installed?

Try connecting your Keyboard to a PS/2 Adapter if your Motherboard has one. Normally if USB doesn't work the PS/2 Adapter will:

Screenshot 2023-02-20 182002.png

I need to use the above legacy adapter on my wife's computer because her Wireless Keyboard is not recognized during POST or in BIOS, so I use an old USB Keyboard connected to the PS/2 adapter to be able to enter BIOS and configure settings in BIOS.

0 Likes

It doesn't seem like my mouse is recognized either, but that could just be because the screen I'm on doesn't show the mouse. Not sure. My board does have one of those PS/2 adapters, so I'll order one of those. Didn't know what they were called, so thank you! Hopefully I can overnight one.

Before you order one look in the rear of your PC Motherboard outputs and see if it has a PS/2 port. If it doesn't then you will be wasting your money.

Screenshot 2023-02-20 182002.png

The above image is how it looks like on your rear Motherboard outputs.

The PS/2 is still being used in most Motherboards since they are so handy to have. So it is a good chance your Motherboard might still have one also.

NOTE: Walmart sells those if there is one close by: https://www.walmart.com/c/kp/ps2-to-usb-adapter

So does Best Buy, Office Depot, Home Depot, and Staples

0 Likes

I checked and do have one! I have an amazon order for a PS/2 adapter supposed to arrive today. Hopefully that gets me through BIOS.

Please keep me posted whether it works or not.

0 Likes

You are a lifesaver. The USB to PS/2 adapter finally arrived. Got through using that, and windows is up and running.  Thank you!

For anyone finding this forum thread in the future, plug your usb keyboard into the USB to PS/2 adapter (linked below on Amazon). Dong so should allow you to use your keyboard in the BIOS instance.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5MYE72?psc=1&smid=A10RLP3JOTR16H&ref_=chk_typ_imgToDp

Please go to the MB site and look for Support. Some have only e-mail but some have a phone number. Good luck, John

0 Likes
rod6700
Adept I

Have you tried clearing CMOS/RTC? Look in the board's owner's manual for how to do this. If you have enabled Bitlocker in a Windows OS before upgrading the CPU, then you will have to disable it with the old CPU installed before upgrading to the new one unless you have the decryption key available as well. 

0 Likes