Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

beeho
Journeyman III

CPU temp spikes when interacting with Youtube

Hi. I recently bought a 7800x3d.

Using a dual tower cpu air cooler, its temps were quite nice.

Around 40c idle, around 60c gaming and around 80c when I try to stress the cpu for example by using r23.

However, when I try to "interact" with Youtube it is having some weird temp spikes.

When just having the youtube website open or when I let a video run, its temps are just fine, around 42-43c.

But when I for example:

1. scroll down the website to browse for videos (the faster I scroll, higher temps I get), I get around 60c.

2. have my mouse cursor on a video thumbnail and let youtube inline playback run, I get around 65c.

3. adjust video volume, timeline etc., I get around 50c.

beeho_0-1697480062073.png

(reaching max. 66c just by interacting with Youtube)

So I tried turning off hardware acceleration on chrome and tried some other browsers as well, but it didn't solve my problem.

I also tried applying some more thermal paste on my cpu, it didn't help either.

Is it normal that such things happen?

Not just that the cpu hitting temp spikes with youtube, but I think it's also weird that it is hitting 66c just by 16% load.

My cpu usually hits 60c while gaming with like 35% load.

This is the first pc built by my own hands and now I'm kinda scared that I might have done some mistakes installing it.

9 Replies

According to AMD specs the Maximum Operating Temperature of your processor is 89c. So you are well within your safe temperature range at 60c.

So I wouldn't worry about those temperature spikes unless the temps goes above 79c or higher.

It is possible that the CPU is under heavier loads during certain actions or possible a background app is running causing the spikes.

0 Likes

For your CPU, it would be ideal to go with an AIO for cooling, or if your case allows more intake fans just above your PSU, get yourself a fan or two!

R9 5900X 4.2GHz+EVGA X570DARK+Gskill DC 32GB 4000 CL16+TUF RX 6700XT 2710MHz
0 Likes
Angeluk
Challenger

Your CPU does not behave normal and you are right asking the question and looking for solution, such a simple tasks should not be that cpu heavy, lead to spikes and increase temps.

You can try selective start up, try disable some programs from the task manager start up tab, also make sure you use latest bios and amd chipset drivers.

Hos61
Journeyman III

Hello, were you able to resolve this?

I'm experiencing a similar issue with my 7800x3d. It consistently spikes for a few seconds to almost 60 degrees Celsius while on YouTube. It's particularly frustrating when the fans keep starting and stopping because of this.

I am using: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D (8x 4.2GHz / 5.00GHz Turbo); MSI PRO B650-S WIFI DDR5; Endorfy Navis F360 ARGB; 1000W be quiet! Pure Power 12 M ATX 3.0 - PCIE 5

0 Likes

not sure if this is what was causing it, but it may be part of the issue.  https://www.pcgamer.com/its-not-just-you-youtube-is-slowing-down-your-pc-if-you-have-adblock-install...

0 Likes
cellym
Journeyman III

i have same problem.

I bought the following product about 2 months ago;
https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/victus-gaming-laptop-16-s0097nr
ryzen 7 7840 cpu, 512 gb ssd and nvidia 4050

I am satisfied with its general performance, but when connecting to YouTube, Netflix, etc. only via Chrome, the device gets too hot and the fan immediately activates. Even when I'm not playing videos but browsing in Chrome, it still rises and falls.
However, today I noticed that this happens more while the device is charging. When it is not charging, it is around 43 degrees, but when I put it on charge, it is between 60-70 degrees and that is why the fan speeds up, the temperature drops, but it gets hot again and the fan works again. This creates an uncomfortable situation for me.
Is this kind of heating normal? Is the problem caused by the processor?

0 Likes

I solved it by trial and error, but the problem was in Chrome, yes

So let me try to explain by numbering in the image below;

I closed Chrome directly in the section that says 1, but it crashed and exited momentarily.

I waited for a while and when it didn't get better, I saw Chrome in the task manager again. When I looked at the small icons, the icon was still there, I right-clicked on that section and unchecked the Allow Chrome to run in the background and suddenly the decrease in section number 2 occurred.

I waited like this for a while in the section labeled 3, and after it stabilized, I opened Chrome again in the section labeled 4. It rose momentarily and slowly fell back to normal levels and it works smoothly as stated in the section 5.

Ekran Görüntüsü (8).png

0 Likes

I've seen this issue a lot. Try disabling ambient mode in YT. It can drain 20% and higher in CPU usage which results in higher CPU temps. Not sure if this is anyone's problem but it's helped many others. 

0 Likes
supafly208
Journeyman III

not sure if this is what was causing it, but it may be part of the issue.  https://www.pcgamer.com/its-not-just-you-youtube-is-slowing-down-your-pc-if-you-have-adblock-install...

0 Likes