cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

firehazard51
Adept I

Low Bench Scores for 5900X (Cinebench R23: 10478, Time Spy CPU: 7822)

System Configuration (PC Part Picker):

Operating System: 64-bit Windows 10 Pro (10.0.19044)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, Ryzen Master Auto OC

GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 12 GB FTW3 ULTRA

Motherboard: Gigabyte X570S AERO G with 4Fc BIOS

RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-3600 CL18 with XMP settings

PSU: Enermax Revolution D.F. 850 W 80+ Gold

My 3DMark Time Spy score is in the bottom 6% and looks like the CPU is the source of the problem (Time Spy Score of 15,908) I've been trying to trouble shoot the problem. Made sure BIOS is on latest version, AMD chip drivers are updated, XMP profile is turned on, PBO is enabled, Ryzen Master control mode set to Auto OC, triple checked RAM is installed in correct slots on motherboard, and I'm at a loss what to do next. Here is my specific 3DMark CPU Profile results (Bottom 4%)

3DMark CPU Profile.JPG3DMark Time Spy.JPG

0 Likes
1 Solution
firehazard51
Adept I

So over the weekend I was trouble shooting the problem when for about 30 mins it was performing correctly and then the bench scores tanked again.  People said its clearly a software issue and basically ruled it down to a fresh install of Windows will likely fix everything and it did.  Bench scores are exactly in the range they should be and are consistently hitting that score.  I think the problem started when I did a BIOS update and I never caught the issue till I bench tested my rig after I got a new graphics card.  I had notice performance issue earlier but had miss diagnosed the issue as a poor graphics card that needed to be upgraded.  More likely my CPU was bottlenecking my graphics card (AMD 6600XT) when I was doing PC VR with a  Quest 2.  I had read that AMD cards don't perform as well with VR and just thought that was the whole problem.  I upgraded to GTX 3080 Ti and still notice some issues and clearly shouldn't be present.  Now when I play a VR games it's perfect so the CPU was really causing a lot of issues.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

firehazard51, please post a screenshot of Ryzen Master while Cinebench is running. Also post a screenshot of CPU-Z memory tab. No Cinebench screenshot is needed. What is your processor cooler? Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

CPU-Z memory tab with Cinebench.JPGRyzen Master with Cinebench.JPG

When I've done a full test the max cpu temp never got over 60C.  I use a Noctua NH-D15 chromax.black 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler for the CPU.  The case is a  Fractal Design Meshify S2 so air flow should be pretty decent.

0 Likes

Thanks, firehazard51, you have the OC Mode set to manual and all your clocks are at 3700MHz.  Your processor is capable of 4800 MHz. You are giving up more than 1000MHz of clock.  Why? If you want good bench scores you need to let the processor go. I suggest you try Control Mode Default and Control Mode Precision Boost Overdrive.  Good luck and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
firehazard51
Adept I

I've been trying some things out and getting not very far.  A friend thinks my motherboard is the source of the bottleneck and is a hardware issue and not a BIOS issue.  I reached out to AORUS Discord to help determine if it's true and we basically set the BIOS back to the default settings and got the CPU Cores to reach 4,850 MHz under full load.  BUT the Cinebench results were still poor at 13693 (multi core).  CPU temps peak around 73C so temperatures aren't the issue.  Then they thought it had to be the power.  But looking at these results I don't see where there is an issue.

firehazard51_0-1662011654883.png

I'm just not finding where the giant bottleneck is taking place.  The scores are so low it's like something is faulty but I'm in over my head with this stuff as I never was looking for maxing out my performance.  I just wanted the standard performance.  Speaking of that when I turned on XMP the Cinebench score went from 13693 to 13091.  

0 Likes

firehazard51, please post a screenshot of RM with Cinebench at a processor speed of 4800MHz.  Also post a screenshot of RM in Basic Mode. Did you see my post about RM Control Mode being set to Manual? Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
firehazard51
Adept I

So over the weekend I was trouble shooting the problem when for about 30 mins it was performing correctly and then the bench scores tanked again.  People said its clearly a software issue and basically ruled it down to a fresh install of Windows will likely fix everything and it did.  Bench scores are exactly in the range they should be and are consistently hitting that score.  I think the problem started when I did a BIOS update and I never caught the issue till I bench tested my rig after I got a new graphics card.  I had notice performance issue earlier but had miss diagnosed the issue as a poor graphics card that needed to be upgraded.  More likely my CPU was bottlenecking my graphics card (AMD 6600XT) when I was doing PC VR with a  Quest 2.  I had read that AMD cards don't perform as well with VR and just thought that was the whole problem.  I upgraded to GTX 3080 Ti and still notice some issues and clearly shouldn't be present.  Now when I play a VR games it's perfect so the CPU was really causing a lot of issues.

0 Likes