cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AnimeAlex
Journeyman III

CPU Overheating on idle

I got my first AMD processor in may 2021, a Ryzen 7 5800X. It worked great up until around the end of this October. Its been overheating on idle, and my computer has been lagging hard as a result. Even playing youtube videos looks choppy. I've opened and cleaned my case fans, AIO radiator, and motherboard multiple times, removed panels to improve airflow, and nothing seems to work. I have an MSI MAG Series coreliquid 240R AIO, 6 case fans, 3 on intake and 3 on output, and all are running fine. Thermal paste on the AIO is also fine. Any suggestions on how to fix this?Ryzen Master SS.png

0 Likes
1 Reply

Sound like your AIO CPU Cooler is defective and not cooling the processor.

Check to see if the pump on the AIO is working and your feel liquid circulating in the tubing. Also the Input tube to the processor should be slightly cooler than the Output tubing.

Could be you have a Air clog in the AIO system or a tube is obstructed preventing circulation.

Use a Monitoring program that shows the AIO Pump RPM and Radiator Fan RPM. 

Also make sure the Radiator's Fan is spinning and running at 100% when it starts to overheat and the air flow is not obstructed.

If you are reaching 90C at idle it is a definite sign your AIO is not working the way it should and not cooling the processor.

NOTE: I would open a MSI Support  Warranty ticket to see if the AIO needs to be replaced or repaired.

0 Likes