Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

zinoby
Adept I

CPU death? Ryzen 7 9700x on new build

Hi,

I just recently got a new PC and as I was starting it for the first time I got a CPU error on the motherboard, I had made sure to update the drivers ahead of turning it on and after a quick check everything seem in order. I checked the power cables, if the CPU was aligned right, ram position, bios compatibility, power source should be more than enough and so I think it might me a CPU issue?

Build:

• AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8x 3.80GHz So.AM5
  • ASRock B650 Steel Legend WiFi AMD B650 So.AM5 DDR5 ATX 
  • 32GB (1x 32GB) Kingston FURY Beast RGB  DDR5-6000 DIMM
  • 16GB Sapphire Radeon RX 7800 XT Pure Gaming Aktiv PCIe 4.0 x16
  • 2TB Kingston KC3000 M.2 PCIe 4.0 x4 3D-NAND TLC
  • be quiet! Silent Loop 2 360mm All-in-One
  • 850 Watt be quiet! Pure Power 12 M Modular 80+ Gold
  • NZXT H9 Flow Midi Tower 
  •  

Any suggestions or ideas what I should check out would be appreciated, I am out ideas in what I could do. 

10 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

zinoby, most of your analysis seems valid but how did you draw the conclusion blaming the processor and not the MB? How did you update the drivers before you booted your system. Be sure to get your AMD drivers from only here. Can you boot into BIOS? Where do you see the CPU error? BTW your processor supports dual channel, by using it your memory data rate doubles. Are you using your GPU card or the iGPU? John.

I updated the BIOS through Flashback ( a quick process by ASRock)  by USB mean. However, I cannot boot into the BIOS, the error is a red light on the motherboard indicating there is an issue with the CPU, basically not detecting it. I also thought it could be the motherboard, but I am sceptical of the CPU still, so is there any way to check if its actually working?

zinoby, you need to decide to RMA the MB or the processor. I hate to suggest you remove the processor, but at this time I will. Make sure there are no bent pins or damage in the socket or goop on the pins. If you have access to any DDR5 sticks of memory try one of those in several memory sockets. Try your one stick in several sockets. Here is the customer portal for RMA. They may have more suggestions to help make the decision. John.

Hi,

I am sure now that the processor is death, I checked it with another working motherboard and it wont run, now I am wondering if it came defect from the seller or if my motherboard somehow put too much voltage on it and kill it. I dont want to kill another CPU if thats the case, what are the chances of that happening?

0 Likes

first thing I would do since the PC is not booting up at all is remove the Kingston 1x32 RAM and see if the Motherboard's CPU LED Trouble light go on and then off and the RAM LED Trouble light stays on.

Incompatible RAM can cause the CPU Trouble LED light to stay on.

Looking at your ASRock QVL List for Phoenix RAM memory which seems to be compatible with all the "G" and "GE" APU processors there isn't an 32GB 6000 MTS Kingston RAM listed as being compatible: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650%20Steel%20Legend%20WiFi/#MemoryPHX

Screenshot 2024-08-20 171009.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 171128.png

But for the QVL List for the Raphael Processor there are a few that support 32GB RAM sticks: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B650%20Steel%20Legend%20WiFi/#MemoryRAP

Screenshot 2024-08-20 171408.pngScreenshot 2024-08-20 172330.png

Are any of the above RAM part numbers to the one you have installed in the PC?  If not go to Kingston Support and ask them if your Kingston RAM part number is compatible with your motherboard or not.

Also according to ASRock CPU LIST you need to have BIOS version 3.01 installed for the CPU to be recognized and boot up.

So first thing I would do is make sure your Motherboard's BIOS version is 3.01 or newer and that your RAM is compatible with your motherboard and processor.

You can use your Motherboard's Trouble LED Lights to troubleshooting your booting issues.

1- I would disconnect all hardware from your motherboard and just leave connected all motherboard cables and Case fans and just connect your CPU and CPU Cooler, PSU, Windows Drive and leave disconnected your GPU and RAM, Keyboard and mice and all other hardware connected to your motherboard.

Power up and your Motherboard CPU Trouble LED should come on the turn off and the RAM Trouble LED should light up and stay lit.  That means that BIOS checked your CPU and it passed inspection and then found no RAM installed thus lighting up the RAM Trouble LED light.

But if the CPU Trouble LED still stays lit that would indicate it failed the BIOS test. So you either have a bad CPU or Motherboard.

Note: Make sure you have your Motherboard's ATX CPU Power connected from the PSU to the Motherboard. If this plug is left unconnected your Motherboard won't boot up.

2- Install the one RAM Stick you have and when you power up the same thing occurs as before the CPU Trouble LED stay lit up probably indicates incompatible RAM. See if you can borrow one RAM stick, either 8GB or 16GB, and see if when you apply power both the CPU and RAM Trouble LED lights turn off and your computer starts to boot into Windows if you have your Monitor connected to the Motherboard's Video Outputs.

Note: when installing the single RAM Stick make sure you install it in the correct DIMM Slot (A2 normally) on the motherboard. Check your manual to see which slot pertains to a single RAM stick installation.

If the Monitor is not connected then you might get the GPU TROUBLE LED light to turn indicating a problem with GPU since you have no GPU installed or monitor connected to the motherboard. Install your GPU and Keyboard and Mice and monitor to the GPU card. Boot up and see if you get video output in BIOS and the CPU, RAM, and GPU LED lights are off.

Hi thanks for the help,

The I tried contacting Kingstone and ASRock to see if its compatible and so far it looks like the RAM is. I updated the BIOS  to the newer version also and tried the process by disconnecting the GPU and RAM and it keeps giving me this CPU red light on the board immediately. I think it might be the CPU or motherboard defect, anyone way I could rule out any of  them?

If you disconnected all hardware from your motherboard except the PSU, CPU, and Windows Drive and you get the CPU TROUBLE LED immediately means that BIOS test failed on the CPU.  So it can be either a defective CPU, Motherboard, or even PSU ( bad output voltages) or the CPU is not compatible with the Motherboard due to BIOS issue.

Best way to eliminate the CPU or Motherboard is by installing another compatible CPU on the motherboard or install your current CPU in another compatible motherboard to see if the same thing occurs.

You do have the Motherboard's CPU Power connected right - the 8 pin power connector?  The PC won't boot up if that isn't connected which powers the CPU.

In another words, make sure all the Motherboard/PSU connections are connected.

Normally I would just RMA both the Motherboard and CPU but if you have the time open a Warranty ticket with both AMD and ASRock and see if they suggest turning in the hardware to be checked.

You can open a AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY ticket to see if  they believe you need to RMA the CPU to be checked from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Screenshot 2024-08-21 125818.png

You can also open a ASRock SUPPORT Warranty ticket to see if they also suggest turning in your Motherboard to be checked.  But if you can borrow a compatible CPU and install it and it boots up then you definitely know it is a CPU issue or Vice versa.

FunkZ
Exemplar

@zinoby wrote:
  • 32GB (1x 32GB) Kingston FURY Beast RGB  DDR5-6000 DIMM

This is most definitely not a recommended memory configuration.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
roupa_de_trapo
Adept III

BIOS Setup Guide

https://download.asrock.com/Manual/Software/AMD%20B650/Software_BIOS%20Setup%20Guide_English.pdf

BIOS update page

ASRock > B650 Steel Legend WiFi

How To Use USB BIOS Update Flashback Asrock B650m HDV M.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNoNVL0dYL8

A similar problem occurred to me during installation, it was the 24-pin plug that was not properly fitted.

thanks mate I tried it but still not turning on, CPU is death as I tried it in another board and didn't work as well 

0 Likes