Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

ALE5510
Adept I

CPU core/CPU SoC voltage difference

Spoiler

Good evening or good morning ... yes I'm a Noob and yes ... I read about the voltage problems of the rayzen 7000 cpu with expo. I state that I don't use expo and I have all the bios in default. I got scared reading on various posts that the voltage should be below about 1.3v and from the bios (asus rog strix x670e-a bios 1415 just updated with cpu 7700X) I read CPU core voltage 1.41 and CPU soc voltage 1.048. I would like to understand the differences between the two values ​​and if this is correct. thanks a lot, help a poor Noob pls!

Cpu: rayzen 7700x

Motherboard: rog stryx x670e-a wifi

ram: Kingston FURY Beast DDR5 RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 6000MT/s DDR5 CL36 DIMM Memoria Gaming per Computer Fissi Kit da 2 - KF556C36BBEAK2-32gb

psu: NZXT Alimentatore da gioco ATX, C1000 Gold, PA-0G1BB-EU

Gpu: MSI rtx 4090 gaming x

20230629_205703.jpg

20230629_193507.jpg

20230629_193450.jpg
0 Likes
3 Solutions
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

There are several voltages and No. You don't need to know what they all do unless you are adept at tweaking.

Yes, there was a situation where vSoC was overspec specially on ASUS boards, this has been fixed with the latest BIOS!!! ASUS did some shady things but... Don't let it scare you, the fault rate was actually really really really really low.

Very speedy clarification, vCore is the primary core voltage, roughly speaking, when a higher frequency is applied the more voltage is needed. This is, like I said, a very basic explanation.

vSoC or CPU System on a Chip, is a portion of the CPU that controls variuous things, one being the IMC, integrated memory controller.

In order to achieve better memory stability, it was common practice to increase this voltage, I had to do it on my 2700X. When enabling EXPO, some boards, like ASUS, were applying well over 1.4v which is too much. So, latest BIOS have a limit at 1.3v

Both voltages if set too high will kill the CPU, normally if vCore is set to Auto, you have nothing to worry about. If you want to lower this voltage, you can. With curve optimizer or off set undervolt.

How to curve optimize 

https://youtube.com/shorts/0iyja9yQ-tM?feature=share 

CPU SoC should be bellow 1.3v if you have EXPO enabled. I have 1.18v with EXPO at 6000 super stable.

I strongly advise to enable EXPO, after you do, check this video to know which voltages you should change to be sure.

My board is the same as yours.

If you need more help, I'm,be glad to help.

Good luck

The Englishman

View solution in original post

Koyote7667
Challenger

EXPO helps keep amd competitive. You should absolutely be using it. Unless your memory is not the best sticks. Ryzen does not require "a lot of voltage" not sure where you read that. Back in November,had some odd issues with mem/expo running at 6200. But now, that is easy, and you should have zero issues if you have a decent set of mem. So, not sure why you would be having any issues. I would absolutely turn on expo. Or leave a ton of love off the table. I mean, why did you buy the stuff, to neuter it? But do you mate. 

Edit- 2 asus boards here. Never had a issue, going from a 7600x to a 7950x, to a 7800x3d. That was way over blown, and was NOT just soc voltage, but bios on said chips, doing odd behavior at the time. That is gone now. Honestly wasnt that big of a deal at the time. (1 of 100000's if that, sold)

The Ryzen 7000 does not require any more than older CPUs.

From Phenom to the latest 7950X going by a 2700X and some others in between. Pretty much same values for vCore.

As for EXPO, is not much about the EXPO itself, its the frequency and latency. But you should enable it, if you find it to be unstable, check my vid with some tricks to make it stable. One thing you could do is changing memory context restore from AUTO to DISABLED or lower frequency while tightening the timings.

However, if you game at 4K, with a 4090 you sure can, the returns are much more slim.

johnnyenglish_0-1688231220757.png

I'm glad I could help.      ; -)

The Englishman

4 Replies
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

There are several voltages and No. You don't need to know what they all do unless you are adept at tweaking.

Yes, there was a situation where vSoC was overspec specially on ASUS boards, this has been fixed with the latest BIOS!!! ASUS did some shady things but... Don't let it scare you, the fault rate was actually really really really really low.

Very speedy clarification, vCore is the primary core voltage, roughly speaking, when a higher frequency is applied the more voltage is needed. This is, like I said, a very basic explanation.

vSoC or CPU System on a Chip, is a portion of the CPU that controls variuous things, one being the IMC, integrated memory controller.

In order to achieve better memory stability, it was common practice to increase this voltage, I had to do it on my 2700X. When enabling EXPO, some boards, like ASUS, were applying well over 1.4v which is too much. So, latest BIOS have a limit at 1.3v

Both voltages if set too high will kill the CPU, normally if vCore is set to Auto, you have nothing to worry about. If you want to lower this voltage, you can. With curve optimizer or off set undervolt.

How to curve optimize 

https://youtube.com/shorts/0iyja9yQ-tM?feature=share 

CPU SoC should be bellow 1.3v if you have EXPO enabled. I have 1.18v with EXPO at 6000 super stable.

I strongly advise to enable EXPO, after you do, check this video to know which voltages you should change to be sure.

My board is the same as yours.

If you need more help, I'm,be glad to help.

Good luck

The Englishman

Thank you very much you have been very clear! I have left and continue to leave everything on auto with the latest BIOS. I didn't use EXPO except right at the beginning to try leaving everything on auto but I immediately disabled it due to instability issues. I think I don't use it at the moment also because I see almost no advantage using the pc in 4k on tv and rarely in 2k on monitor.

I've read that Rayzen 7000 processors require a lot of voltage so it's a fair value from what I understand 1.4v the VCore, while the worrying one turns out to be the voltage of the CPU SOC (which in this case is fine).

A thousand thanks

The Ryzen 7000 does not require any more than older CPUs.

From Phenom to the latest 7950X going by a 2700X and some others in between. Pretty much same values for vCore.

As for EXPO, is not much about the EXPO itself, its the frequency and latency. But you should enable it, if you find it to be unstable, check my vid with some tricks to make it stable. One thing you could do is changing memory context restore from AUTO to DISABLED or lower frequency while tightening the timings.

However, if you game at 4K, with a 4090 you sure can, the returns are much more slim.

johnnyenglish_0-1688231220757.png

I'm glad I could help.      ; -)

The Englishman
Koyote7667
Challenger

EXPO helps keep amd competitive. You should absolutely be using it. Unless your memory is not the best sticks. Ryzen does not require "a lot of voltage" not sure where you read that. Back in November,had some odd issues with mem/expo running at 6200. But now, that is easy, and you should have zero issues if you have a decent set of mem. So, not sure why you would be having any issues. I would absolutely turn on expo. Or leave a ton of love off the table. I mean, why did you buy the stuff, to neuter it? But do you mate. 

Edit- 2 asus boards here. Never had a issue, going from a 7600x to a 7950x, to a 7800x3d. That was way over blown, and was NOT just soc voltage, but bios on said chips, doing odd behavior at the time. That is gone now. Honestly wasnt that big of a deal at the time. (1 of 100000's if that, sold)