cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

AMDwhy123
Journeyman III

Cpu boosts issues since GPU change

Hi everyone, i recently upgraded from a gtx 1060 to a 6750xt. But since then my CPU 5600X constantly boosts to over 4 Ghz even in idle. Which leads to fan noise.

I am on the windows power saving mode and it still behaves like that. I enabled eco mode in bios and UV the CPU but still same behaviour. Only thing that fixed it was to ddui and put in the old GPU. So my guess is that the adrenaline software is kinda responsible for this, but i dont know what it exactly could be. Any ideas? Excuse my bad grammar, english is not my native language.

0 Likes
5 Replies
AMDwhy123
Journeyman III

I set it to 2.8Ghz all core in bios.I set it to 2.8Ghz all core in bios.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

Yes the Adrenalin software can apply Tuning control to both CPU and GPU. However on Default profile (appears as Standard on your screenshot) the CPU should not boost at idle, only when there is a thread or process utilizing resources. But you don't have Standard selected, so you must have a Custom profile applied.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Changed it to Standard and its even worse now, the cpu fan ramps up every 10 seconds. And same issue with adrenaline and task manager. It now boost even higher 4.3 Ghz

0 Likes

AMDwhy123, I think the decision is yours. You can select a very quiet PC or one that does the workload as quickly as possible but is noisier. Use the fan curves to not allow the fans speed to increase making noise. Ryzen will limit the clocks and voltages to keep it cool. John.

0 Likes

If the fan is increasing speed and the processor frequency is boosting to 4.3GHz it is because some process is running that is utilizing the CPU and raising the temperature.

You can use the motherboard BIOS or software utility to select for example "Silent" fan profile rather than "Normal" (or Default) however that just allows the CPU to run hotter.

You may want to investigate what process is utilizing CPU resources every 10 seconds.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes