Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

leif111
Adept I

Chrome freeze with 7950x3d

Problem:
When I use google Chrome it happens from time to time that it starts to hang, Chrome freezes but not only Chrome but the whole PC. The problem only occurs in Chrome other browsers / apps / games have not yet shown this problem. I haven't gotten any help yet and: "Just don't use Chrome" doesn't help me much either. This should not lead to such problems.

System:
Windows 11
Ryzen 9 7950x3d
Asus strix 4090 oc
Asus x670e a gaming wifi
2x 4TB 990 pro SSD
Corsair Titanium expo (6000mhz cl30 2x 32gb)
Be quiet dark power pro 13 1300w
Corsair link 150i lcd

Drivers:
I use the latest AMD chipset driver on the homepage of my motherboard (currently: 5.11.02.217)
I have tried different Nividea drivers (current: 551.52)

Settings:
I have deactivated the igpu in the bios (but the problem was already there before)
I have loaded expo 1

14 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

leif111, please get your AMD drivers from here. Please look in the Event viewer for errors at the time of the hang. How does this end? Do you need to reboot? Can you open the Task Manager? Thanks and enjoy, John.

EDIT: AMD chipset driver is 6.01.25.342.

0 Likes

It freezes 2-3 times a few seconds then when it runs again it is very laggy and I have to close chrome then it works again after a few seconds sometimes there are a few stutterings on the desktop but after a short time it runs again.

0 Likes

i installed 6.01.25.342 now. (The old chipset driver was previously uninstalled). Now I have to see if it has gotten better, it sometimes takes a while until the problem occurs

0 Likes

leif111, any better with the new driver?

I am using Chrome 64 bit, are you? Might be worth a try if not, thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Grandmaster

Since edge runs on chromium its a bit farfetched to call the CPU guilty as charged. Could be a chrome setting somewhere, I don't know.. 

But if you dead set on Chrome and want to clear it out, its simple, get Chrome OS on a USB stick, boot from it, choose try it without installing and run Chrome. If it doesnt crash then could be Windows itself, a software error, which is more likely.

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I have already reinstalled chrome

0 Likes

Have you tried my suggestion?

Does it crashes while on inprivate browsing? Have you disabled hardware acceleration inside chrome?

Like I said, Edge and Opera run on chromium so I find this very odd.

The Englishman
0 Likes

It looks like switching off hardware acceleration fixes the problem. But this is not a permanent solution as it also has disadvantages. But since the problem is so rare and not really caused by a valid reason I can't say for sure

0 Likes

Hardware acceleration is tied to the GPU, not the CPU. If switching off hardware acceleration resolves the issue, perhaps it is related to your discrete GPU and not the CPU. Try temporarily removing the RTX 4090 from your system, and connect the display cable to the motherboard and use the integrated graphics of your CPU. Does the same behaviour occur with the discrete GPU removed from the system?

I have now tried a lot and the problem still persists, at some point after prolonged use the pc starts to slow down and stutter, so far it has only occurred in chrome but once it lags then everything lags. I have the latest drivers for the processor from the amd site i have the latest driver for the graphics card. i don't know what else to do it's just annoying me.

0 Likes

Is your motherboard BIOS up to date? If not, I would consider updating it. After the update, please use the BIOS default settings and do not apply EXPO or any other memory overclock settings. Run the system like this in a stock configuration to see if it helps. If you are already on the latest BIOS, try restoring the BIOS default settings instead.

0 Likes
Teadrinker
Adept I

Hello

This is interesting. I too have this exact problem with 7900X3D though I'm on Windows 7 and have Firefox. I was under impression that this was somehow a GPU driver problem (I have AMD GPU too) because Firefox sometimes suddenly goes into a slow motion state as if it is running in 20 fps or something and also when system freezes I get BSOD screen which does not show normally and is not even readable ... but according to nirsoft BlueScreen Viewer I get 2 kinds of BSODs: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and MEMORY_MANAGEMENT and also ntoskrnl.exe driver is source of this errors yet I'm still not sure what is the problem ...

you don't get any errors?

0 Likes

i don't get an error nothing

0 Likes
Teadrinker
Adept I

Hi again. Did you fix this issue?

My problem was fixed. It was RAM too high frequency that was crashing the CPU (6400 Mhz). I lowered it to 6200 and so far (7 days) no problem has occurred.