Adept I

Can't enter BIOS on Ryzen 7 5800X

Rig:
Motherboard: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX

GPU: Sapphire RX 580

RAM: Corsair DD4 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

System Software: Windows 10 64

I flashed Bios to most recent update, but every time I try to enter Bios, i get black screen and nothing happens, windows however is booting. Tried to benchmark CPU and everythings fine, clockspeed good, temperatur good.

I tried clearing CMOS and reinstalled BIOS update several times, but no effect. 

The moderboard does have EZ Debug LED's and the CPU-LED is lit, which means the CPU is not detected or failed, which is weird because windows is booting. I have an old Ryzen 5 2600 and with this CPU the LED is NOT lit and I can enter BIOS properly.

I also tried to enter UEFI Firmware Settings via Troubleshooting, which also leads to black screen.

I only connected a HDMI cable to the GPU and my keyboard should respond quick enough to activte Bios, but I only get black screen.

Please further Troubleshooting would be great.

25 Replies
xund123
Adept I

AMD Support said I should try only one RAM stick and a different motherboard but both suggestions did not resolve the problem, so i am going to raise a warranty request.

0 Likes

Hi,

if your are changing the bios but cannot get into the bios you are presumably doing this through windows? Do you see the post screen which indicates which key to press to enter the bios, this is maybe disabled in the bios of course. It is not always the same key ins, del f4 plenty of options.

if you have the motherboard manual you could check if you can reset the cmos on the motherboard by shorting to pins often.

a simple option may also be to disconnect your boot drive. Without this the machine will not boot straight to windows, it can’t! And might allow you to find the way in.

i recall having the CPI led lit on a B350 from MSI and this was resolved by the bios if and reducing memory speeds if I remember correctly.

hope some of this helps.

just a word of caution, repeatedly flashing a bios was in the past a rather risky business. They are surely more robust today but perhaps not tempt fate.

0 Likes

Just reread your post and it makes me think you RAM is having trouble supporting the FSB does it all show up at the correct speed when in windows?

0 Likes

When I'm in windows the Ram and their speeds (2133MHz) are detected properly, also the CPU actually runs fine when in windows. (CPU Z Benchmark: Multi: ca- 6600 Single: ca. 630)

The bios update was first done on the old Ryzen 5 2600 CPU and after that I flashed the BIOS with an USB (FAT32 and Renamed File to MSI.ROM) and the "BIOS Flash Button" the Motherboard supports.

I do NOT see the screen, which indicates which button I have to press to enter BIOS (del- Button), this is skipped and directly boots windows. However, if I press the del button, befor windows can boot, I get the black screen.

I also tried to clear CMOS.

Thanks for help!

0 Likes

Give this a look and see if there is a solution that helps you:

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmanager/msi-boot-menu.html

Thanks for your replies, I have already tried those suggestions, but unfortunately no solution.

0 Likes

Shame,

i guess you have the latest bios from last month. With the cpu led may well go out after a successful number of posts. 
if the system works ok even under stress I guess it is not the end of the world but definitely annoying. 

0 Likes

Just read one other MSI specific bios entry method by holding in the power button for 4 seconds to start the machine that can lead to the bios if this feature is enabled.

the only other thing I would suggest/ ask is when the screen is black how long do you wait? I understand it can be long in certain circumstances (ie minutes) to get to the bios.

0 Likes
Sergio23
Journeyman III

same problem  TUF GAMING B550-PLUS    yellow LED monitor does not work black screen replacement of RAM did not lead to anything impossible to get into the bios

0 Likes

If you have the option to drop the old cpu back go into the bios and look if Go2bios option can be enabled to turn on the power switch bios access

0 Likes

I have already tried entering Bios through pressing power button over a long period, which lead to black screen. I have also noticed that I could not install AMD Ryzen Master and every time I start the installation it will shut down automatically( haven't  noticed with any other installation). Now I have already changed back to the old CPU (Ryzen 5 2600) and the System just runs fine, no LED indicator lid and BIOS is accessible. Unfortunately I couldn't find any option to enable accessing Bios throuh power switch.

However I noticed that in my advanced settings the Windos OS Configuration for "BIOS UEFI/CSM Mode" is set to [CSM], whereas the "Boot mode select" is set to [LEGACY+UEFI], does this may have to do something with this issue?

Thanks for the suggestions!

0 Likes

entering bios is pressing DEL after hearing bip when powering up (press several times if nothing appears because booting too fast for screen to display bios post , if windows boots then that must not be the good key or not pressed at good moment ...)

regarding bios and brand the bios key can change , you can try F2 maybe too

if nothing displaying after that and windows not booting (maybe you are in bios then , but screen not displaying), try switching screen off and on again ... (just the screen)

0 Likes

The Button definetly does not have to be pressed only once at a certain time to enter BIOS, usually u can smash button to not be too late until the system starts booting the OS. However I have also suggested this and switched between the DPI and the HDMI connection, which did not resolve the problem, in fact the Monitors just shut down as if theres nothing connected to them.

Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Likes

Normally for windows 10 you will be better served by UEFI . This could lead to usb keyboards not working but this doesn’t appear to be the case as you get the black screen.

The CPU LED makes me think the bios isn’t identifying the cpu but after that it is OK, could you share the bios revision you are using ( late 2020 or early 2021?) with the code. And make sure you have the one from February with updated Ryzen 5xoo support.

As the problem appears to be the CPU this is unlikely but I understood the 5x00 cpus require at least 2666 MHz RAM, which yours is not, the clock ratios are potentially causing conflicts.

The fact you cannot install the Ryzen master software does suggest there is some low level identification problem.

0 Likes

https://de.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
From here I got the latest version of the BIOS: 7C02v3A ; 2021-02-08

Thanks for your replies

0 Likes

Definitely the most recent. Apart from retrying the flash using the old cpu to confirm it is well installed no other ideas I’m afraid, with the possible exception of trying some 2666 or faster ram

sorry

0 Likes

Yeah I see, but my RAM actually suopports up to 4200MHz, but it is stuck at factory settings of 2133MHz, which I'd love to crank up to the 3200MHz the CPU supports, which I can't cause I can't enter BIOS

Thanks for your suggestions

0 Likes

Do you have 'Fast Startup' turned off in windows power plan settings.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

Yes, the fast startup is also turned off.

Thanks for the suggestion!

0 Likes
benji5isalive
Journeyman III

After a couple months of using the processor and having the same problem I accidentally got it to boot with the boot screen and bios access. I am using a 1080ti and have dual monitors. While in windows with the computer running I unplugged both display port cables and switched them(I had my 1 monitor plugged into port 2 and my 2 plugged into port 1 so I switched it to 1-1 and 2-2). To be clear, the computer was running and in windows and I unplugged both cables from the gpu itself. When the computer booted next the bios was on screen 2. I was then able to OC my cpu and ram through bios.

0 Likes

What OS  you running?

If on Windows 10 or 11, you can tell it to boot to EFI from within Windows.

Start - Settings - Advanced Startup -UEFI Firmware Settings

0 Likes

ODD question, I was looking at my clock speeds when playing a game with hwinfo and noticed it only went to 4.6 even with pbo on and asus performance enhancer on "OC", did your settings and while gaming I get a constant 4.8 or 4.825 now with way lower temps??? I'm so confused why this is so good and allows me to get higher clocks during gameplay. I have the same motherboard and an aio so temps never really mattered but I've never seen a 4.8 unless I was doing something other than gaming before this.

Show less unionwells

0 Likes

What happens when you try to enter the bios with windows advanced startup and clicking the UEFI option? If you cant boot and are using a displayport cable try swapping it to an HDMI or DVI cable.

0 Likes
StaticLNX
Journeyman III

0 Likes
arsalpt
Journeyman III

Yes you need to flash at least 2606 or higher for that cpu to work on the motherboard. Source
0 Likes