cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

deanshaw97
Journeyman III

can i put 4 ram sticks with the ryzen 7 7800x3d

I've ordered another 32gb of ddr5 6000mhz ram to add to my pc but ive seen alot of places that its not good to run 4 sticks of ram as i will lose performance? is it right to be concerned or what do you guys think? if so i will just return the ram sticks when i receive them.

0 Likes
6 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

It is very possible, maybe even likely, that with 4 sticks populated the memory will not run at 6000 speed and you will need to disable EXPO/XMP or manually adjust the speed down. If you want more memory capacity and best performance then get a higher density 2x DIMM kit, ideally dual rank.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
misterj
Big Boss

deanshaw97, please see here. Enjoy, John.

First it isn't recommended to add more RAM unless you purchase the entire RAM in a Kit or Set to prevent incompatibility issues.

If the second set of 32GB RAM your purchased isn't the exact same Part number as your first set of 32GB RAM than you might end up with incompatibility issues. It is generally recommended if you are upgrading your System RAM it is best to purchase a RAM KIT or SET with the entire of amount of RAM you want to install. In your case a 64GB RAM Kit or Set.

What are the RAM Part Numbers for your 2 sets of 32GB RAM and your Motherboard's Make & Model?

Second you need to check your Motherboard's QVL List for RAM for the 7000 series processor to make sure your specific RAM part number is compatible using 64GB of RAM Memory and if it supports EXPO or XMP.

Some RAM Part numbers may not be compatible in a 4 DIMM SLOT configuration or at 64GB range of memory.

2DEZstb
Adept II

Of course you can operate the CPU with 4 sticks, provided they have the same parameters ... as the other 2 sticks. But before inserting them, do a bios reset, add sticks and first select a low xmp profile ... expo to default. There can be a loss of performance (rather minimal, barely noticeable), but it doesn't have to be...depending on the application. greetings

deanshaw97
Journeyman III

Thanks all for your help, I did get them and they were same part number and did run to the mhz stated. 

0 Likes
MaloneAbe
Journeyman III

With the 7800x3d, if you have 4 sticks of ram you are limited to 3600mhz. I didn’t know this and kept getting BSOD. Windows would not boot with expo enabled running 6000mhz. I had to disable expo and manually set to 3600mhz

If you get 4 sticks to run at 6000mhz with 7800x3d please let me know how you did it.

Max Memory Speed
2x1R

DDR5-5200

2x2R

DDR5-5200

4x1R

DDR5-3600

4x2R

DDR5-3600

0 Likes