cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

BradButter
Adept I

Brand New 5900x wont boot past Mobo logo screen! (Freezes)

Got a BRAND NEW Ryzen 9 5900x that worked for about 12 hours then my PC randomly crashed while watching YouTube and could never boot after that. It boots up to the ROG Logo for the motherboard and freezes on that screen (the loading wheel stops circling and freezes immediately.) If I reboot holding the power button it will restart and try to "prepare startup repair" but it freezes on that same screen if it doesn't just immediately restart before that process can finish, which it then just freezes on the ROG logo again.

I know its the CPU because if I put my Ryzen 5 3600 back in everything works totally fine. Ive swapped them out 4x already just to make sure. Everytime I put the 5900x in the same thing happens. It freezes on the ROG logo. If I put my Ryzen 5 3600 back the entire system loads up fine and fast. 

Ive done everything imaginable to fix the issue. This includes reset cmos, trying to boot with devices unplugged, install latest bios, turn on/off DOCP, load optimized defaults, update drivers, turn off PBO and CBP in bios, but I think I may have a faulty CPU.

Does anyone know why this could be happening or potential fix if its not faulty?

System Configuration:

Operating System: Windows 11 22H2, OS Build 22621.819

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, no overclock

GPU: PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX 5700 XT

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming with 2806 bios

RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 4x8GB DDR4-3600

PSU: Thermaltake - ToughPower Grand RGB 850W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular

Monitor: Gigabyte G34WQC 34" 21:9 VA Curved Gaming Monitor

0 Likes
6 Replies

Are you able to boot into BIOS itself?

To check your CPU using BIOS disconnect all hardware from your motherboard except the PSU, CPU, and Windows drive.

Since your Asus Motherboard has the 4 TROUBLE LEDs power up the PC with just the PSU, CPU and Windows drive installed.

The CPU Trouble LED should go on and off and the DRAM Trouble LED should go on and stay on. The means that BIOS tested your CPU during POST and it passed the hardware test and found no RAM installed and lit up the DRAM Trouble LED light.

If it stays on the CPU Trouble LED then you either have a defective CPU or Motherboard. But if the DRAM Trouble LED light on then install One Stick of RAM in A2 DIMM Slot and see if the DRAM TROUBLE LED light goes off and the GPU Trouble LED lights up and stays on.

At this point the PC might be booting up into Windows without the GPU installed by watching your PC HDD/SDD LED. If it is flashing or on solid that indicates that it is booting into Windows.

But if you install one stick of RAM and either the CPU or DRAM TROUBLE LED lights up than you have an issue with your RAM MEMORY.

In which case I would check each DIMM Slots on the Mobo with the one Stick of RAM.

NOTE: You can open a AMD SUPPORT -WARRANTY ticket and see if AMD believes you should RMA your processor to be checked or replaced from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form

Thanks for the reply! 
it turns out it was the cpu. I exchanged it at the store and the new one worked fine but then I started getting the BSOD. I turned off CPB and PBO and it worked fine. It seemed like with CPB on my system was running at 4.9 GHz all the time even when idle. So I think that was the culprit. 

You lose some performance by having CPB disabled tho.

Im not into overclocking and all that stuff. I just wanted something better than I had. I had a Ryzen 5 3600 before. Even with those settings turned off, this Ryzen 9 5900x should still run better than the 3600 right? thats all im concerned about. Dont want to drop performance to the level of the 3600 if thats the case

0 Likes

I would ditch my cpu if it can't run at advertised speed. You should be able to run CPB enabled without issues. I doubt your CPU will run static clocks by having CPB enabled, I think you should re check. Also make sure your windows power plan is set to "BALANCED"

0 Likes

BradButter, please post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) in both Basic and Advanced mode. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes