cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Heather1
Journeyman III

BEWARE - Hot Geekom Mini PC w/ Ryzen AI 7 8845HS & Radeon 780M

I suppose the $600 price was a Hot deal, but 3 days later I discovered otherwise as it hit 89C in mere minutes while cranked on my fave game (Star Wars Battlefront II, don't be judgy). So, I contacted Amazon and after a few days of back and forth (including having to flash the cranky baby BIOS- if you've ever owned a mini, you'll know what I mean) I got another. Yeaaa....well, no. It's been 10 days and this afternoon while jumping in my X-Wing, I smelt something like burnt yuck. Yep, the new mini. Thankfully, I hadn't turned in the first and was slowly fixing it, almost reviving all the drivers and removing all the errors, except I don't see the NPU?!? It then hit me, I saw it in device manager, but it was never active. I'm really hoping that the new AI software 1.2 will solve that.     Now you got the background (and my apologies for it's length)...... But here's the rub, I can't afford more than $600 and I desperately want the AI for ML and everything else. Do I keep the 1st one I was able to recover, deal with Geekom's lack of customer support (no support page or assistance), move it to a larger housing to keep cool, like a mini-ATX then start praying daily? Or get my money back before the 30 day deadline and start the ugly journey over?   I really want ya'lls opinion cause I'm stumped.

***I was detailed to hopefully deter others from falling for Geekom's silky smooth AI and low-priced charms.

1 Reply

You might be interested in this current AMD Thread where a User also purchased a Mini-PC to replace his laptop and was asking for suggestions especially about overheating issues: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/asrock-deskmini-x600-with-amd-9700x/m-p/710076

Maybe you might want to ask him about his Mini-PC to compare with your Mini-PC.

0 Likes