cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

colesdav
MVP

Re: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII, Ryzen 2700x, Corsair Vengeance RGB (Pro) 3200 4x16GB Memtest86 failures.

Jump to solution

I started to test the memory performance and overall system stability in Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
First test to see if I can load ~ all of the memory and check system stability at ~ default clock speed.
Here is task manager showing how loaded the system is - I will attempt to run the PC for 24 hours at this load.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
noodles59
Miniboss

Re: Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VII, Ryzen 2700x, Corsair Vengeance RGB (Pro) 3200 4x16GB Memtest86 failures.

Jump to solution

you still at 2133 and that's a far stretch from 3200, no?

That's all there is in Corsair?

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

It's a baseline stability and performance test first with the CPU and RAM maxed out.
I am running RAM test within Windows 10.  
Then I will run it at 4.3GHz/3200 from within Windows 10 and see if that is stable or if it BSOD's.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Ram testing in Windows 10 completed with no errors running at stock CPU speed (Baseline 3.7GHz)  and DRAM SPD frequency of 2133MHz. 
I now start testing at CPU OC of 4.3GHz and DRAM timings set to 3200MHz.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

All requested data has been sent to Corsair and Asus.
I will update when/if further information available.

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Update for Asus Technical Support.
I updated the Motherboard BIOS from Version 1201 to version 2203 version dated 2019/04/12.

Setting the BIOS Version 2203 to Default Settings and simply applying the DDR4 3200MHz  setting fails MemTest86 with a very large number of errors.

Version 2203 accepts the colesdav.CMO BIOS settings file that I supplied to Corsair and ASUS correctly.
MemTest86 with BIOS Version 1201 is clean following 4 passes.
MemTest86 with BIOS Version 2203 fails with 33 errors on a single pass of tests 6,7,8.

Clearly some changes have happened to the BIOS w.r.t. memory stability, and I can see an expanded memory QVL list now in the latest version of the Memory QVL list, including increased support for Corsair RAM.

However the changes have made the memory stability worse for my system based on initial test.
I may have to go back and adjust some motherboard voltages and memory timings again.
Since this can take days of testing and adjustment, and I have to use the PC though, I am flashing back to BIOS Version 1201.

This is my first Ryzen 2700X build. I ususally build intel PC's. I am used to purchasing DRAM, fitting it, running MemTest86 at the correct XMP profile and Memtest usually passes. 
If Memtest fails it is because of bad RAM and the PC works without issue when the RAM is replaced.

This experience with the Ryzen 2700X and Corsair 4x16GB 3200 Memory Support / Performance needs fixed / improved on this ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) motherboard.
I do not want to have to repeat "Memory Timing and voltage adjustment" every time I update the BIOS.

Thanks.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

I decided to keep the  BIOS Version 2203  installed and I managed to come up with a new motherboard BIOS profile with alows 1 pass of MemTest86 to pass at 43MHz CPU and 3200MHz DRAM. I reported the results to Asus and supplied two settings files: 
colesdav_2203.CMO
colesdav_2203_settings. 

Asus have started to work on it according to email from Technical Support. 

0 Kudos
jorgemd
Adept II

Jump to solution

4 modules of corsair RAM.
have you identified the one "bad" module after test? (if you've tested them one by one)
You said 3x16 work good and pass the test. 

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

Hi, 

RE: have you identified the one "bad" module after test? (if you've tested them one by one)

Yes for the first two sets of RAM kits I found the modules that failed MemTest86 at default SPD speed.
These failing modules were Identified to Corsair and both Ram kits were returned. 
Corsair "were unable" to do full failure analysis on those two returned kits. 

The Third Ram kit was received and all 4  16GB Ram modules  pass MemTest86 at SPD speed. 
However they would not pass MemTest86 at 3200 MHz. 
I had to modify BIOS voltages and use the special Ryzen Ram Timing Calculator to achieve MemTest86 pass at 3200. 

The BIOS settings I used were sent to ASUS and Corsair. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
colesdav
MVP

Jump to solution

ASUS released the following BIOS Update: ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2901
Looking at the release information  for the BIOS:

Version 2901
2019/11/0814.84 MBytes

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI) BIOS 2901
01. Update Memory Overclocking Rules
02. Fixed a display issue for Ryzen 3000 CPUs in the CPU Configuration tab
03. Fixed an issue with the HDD LED not working sometimes when using SATA M.2s with Ryzen 3000 CPUs
Before running the USB BIOS Flashback tool, please rename the BIOS file (C7HWIFI.CAP) using BIOSRenamer.

I have been passing MemTest86 (MemTest86 - Official Site of the x86 Memory Testing Tool ) pre boot into Windows 10 with CPU = 4.3GHz and 64GB of DRAM at 3200 MHz. 
I have been consistently failing to pass Karhu Ram Test (RAM Test - Karhu Software ), with errors occuring at 7-30% coverage. Zero errors at 400% coverage is the minimum pass requirement for that test. 

I took a look at the latest advice from DRAM-Calculator-for-Ryzen-1.6.2. and compared those settings to those I use in BIOS for the ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI Motherboard.
The PC will not boot using the "SAFE" settings from the calculator, as memory overclocking fails at boot.

However after comparing the latest advice in the DRAM-Calculator-for-Ryzen-1.6.2. I found that making one change - dropping "procODT" from 60 to 53 allows me to boot into Windows and pass Karhu Ram Test with  ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2901 BIOS. 

This ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2901 BIOS along with dropping "procODT" from 60 to 53 allows me to boot into Windows and pass Karhu Ram Test with  ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2901 BIOS. 

More info on this thread: Maximus 

Update:

RE: I found that making one change - dropping "procODT" from 60 to 53 allows me to boot into Windows and pass Karhu Ram Test with  ROG-CROSSHAIR-VII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2901 BIOS. 

I have been testing this for a few days and unfortunately dropping "procODT" from 60 to 53 does not reliably allow me to boot into Windows.
The PC will boot into Windows if the PC has been switched off completely for a few hours and provided the room temperature is low (15-20'C).

If the PC has been running and I power down and immediatly attempt to reboot I get an F9 BIOS error for RAM settings failure.
Increasing number of Ram Tuning Passes at boot up to 10 does not help at all.

So it seems that I have more work to do with RAM Settings to improve stability with "procODT" at 60 or ability to boot with  "procODT" at 53.

0 Kudos