System Specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 16x 4.20GHz So.AM5 WOF

be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 5 Tower Kühler

MSI Tomahawk WIFI AMD X670E So.AM5 Dual Channel DDR5

32GB (2x 16GB) G.Skill Flare EXPO X5 schwarz DDR5-6000 DIMM

Problem:

At Idle the CPU IOD Hotspot looks out of place temp wise as you can see here:

schaule64_3-1723757120950.png

EXPO is disabled and all the voltages is set to auto. Is that normal for the CPU IOD to be this Hot even at Idle? I even repaste the CPU but still no temp decrease

0 Likes
11 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

schaule64, what high temperatures are you talking about? What is your ambient temperature? John.

0 Likes

According to your uploaded image your CPU Cooler is doing a very good job of keeping your processor cool.

The CPU IOD HOTSPOT is not showing to be overheating at all.

Found this Overclock.NET forum where a User using the same program as yours is showing similar results on the same processor as yours from 2021: https://www.overclock.net/threads/cpu-iod-hotspot-temp-ryzen-7950x3d.1807357/ 

CPU IOD HOTSPOT Temp Ryzen 7950x3D

According to a couple of  Users the CPU IOD HOTSPOT seems to show slightly hotter than normal for the processor. The thread has uploaded images similar to your results.

You can compare their results to your own results that you uploaded.

Note: But if you still have any doubts you can open a AMD SUPPORT TICKET and ask them directly from here: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes

Hello elstaci and misterj,

thank you for the detailed info!

i also found this thread.  My ambient temp is 25 degrees Celsius and the CPU Cores are really cold compared to the CPU IO Die.  If I run  a stress test the CPU IO Die also gets a bit hot as you can see here:

schaule64_0-1723826478391.png

i ran Cinebench R23 and Scored 35000 points

After some cooling down and idle temps look like this:

schaule64_1-1723826597919.png

Everything is cooled down besides the CPU IO Die Hotspot

I just wanna be sure this is OK

0 Likes

If the first image was taken while your processor was under stress it does seem like your CPU Cooler is able to prevent it from overheating.

The hottest your processor got was 88.4c which is slightly below its Maximum Operating Temperature of 89c.

Your processor does have a high TDP rating of 120 watts which requires a very powerful CPU Cooler. AMD SUPPORT: Recommended Cooler: Liquid cooler recommended for optimal performance

According to both of your images the CPU IO Die Hotspot is not indicating that it is or near overheating (not in RED).

From the Overclock.net thread from 2021 and your thread showing the same processor and images it looks like it is normal temperatures for that one specific category.

But I suggest you open a AMD SUPPORT Ticket and see what they say. I would only be concerned if the temperatures were near or over 89c while under normal PC usage and not stressed.

0 Likes

schaule64, I do not see a problem. Please tell AMD about your concerns, here. John.

0 Likes

ok thanks,

i opened a ticket and hope its nothing wrong just normal behaviour.

0 Likes

Thanks, schaule64. Yours is the first thread I have seen about high temperatures in anything but the processor. Some silicon devices can happily run at temperatures well over 200C, so I think all is fine. John.

0 Likes

yeah i just wanne be on the safe side and comming from intel where idle was at max 5 degrees higher than room temp it was weird and i am concerned on the longeviety of the CPU if it runs at 50 degrees at idle

0 Likes

schaule64, AMD warrants your processor to run at 89C. 50C idle should not ever be a problem. AMD processors are not any other brand, engineered differently and perform differently. If you are still concerned, install a better cooler. John.

0 Likes

is it ok that the Cores get a voltage of arround 1.38V at load.

For example i started cinebench R23 single core test and the cores all want 1.38 V

The SOC voltage is well under 1.3 V but the Vcore voltage is very high

is that normal?

schaule64_0-1723849429490.png

0 Likes

schaule64, I cannot answer your question but can tell you SOC and Core voltage are two entirely different parameters. Core voltage is driving the core of the processor you use and the SOC (System On a Chip) Voltage is the voltage of the on chip processor used by AMD to control the whole chip. As far as I know AMD does not publish expected Core voltages. Ask them here. John.

0 Likes