cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

amd ryzen 7 clock speed slow

I recently got my ryzen 7 5800x replaced with a new one because it started overheating and out of no where couldn't run any game after 6 months of being an amazing gaming pc. I now installed a brand new one and Every time I launch a game my clock speeds of my brand new ryzen 7 5800x drops below 1000 but as I'm typing this I get around 3800 My specs are Ryzen 7 5800x Nvidia geforce gtx 1080, b450-f motherboard ,  kr4ken m22 cooler. previously this setup could run any game amazing but I can hardly stay above 70 fps in any game when just last week with the same setup I would cap my fps at 144 and it wouldn't budge any explanation for the sudden terrible clock speeds?

1 Solution
Spurious_ECG
Adept II

My guess would be the low clocks are caused by overheating. Overheating would likely be the result of an improper mount of the cooler.

However, also note that a 120mm AIO would also not be recommended for a higher TDP processor like a 5800X. That could be the main issue.

A good tower cooler or a 240mm+ AIO would better suit the CPU.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Spurious_ECG
Adept II

My guess would be the low clocks are caused by overheating. Overheating would likely be the result of an improper mount of the cooler.

However, also note that a 120mm AIO would also not be recommended for a higher TDP processor like a 5800X. That could be the main issue.

A good tower cooler or a 240mm+ AIO would better suit the CPU.

My cpu temp is a constant 91 -92 c which amd said was normal and doesn't affect the life time of the cpu and previously before I had problems with clock speeds/fps my ryzen 7 5800x with a m22 kr4ken I would never experience fps drops, but I dont know what my cpu temp was when my pc would run great, I never bothered.  Maybe a more powerful cooler to drop my cpu below a constant 92c would help?

I would try remounting first, since that will be the most likely solution.

Make sure to put on enough thermal paste to cover the CPU, since the chiplets aren't just in the centre.

0 Likes