cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

aru
Adept I

AMD Ryzen 5700X reached 107 degrees Celsius in the Fritz Chess Benchmark (HWInfo, Core Temp)

Hi,

"Why did the Ryzen 5700X processor continue to operate after exceeding 95 degrees Celsius and reaching a peak of 107 degrees Celsius?"

At what temperature will the computer reset?

AMD RYZEN 5700X @4500 MHz
TUF GAMING B550-PLUS BIOS 3607

Ai OverClok Tuner is DOCP

CPU Core Ratio is 45

Performance Enhancer is Enabled
"This item allows the CPU to maintain boost frequencies longer for a better performance".

https://www.jens-hartmann.at/Fritzmarks/

Regards,

aru

0 Likes
3 Solutions
misterj
Big Boss

aru, simple answer: false temperature reading. Don't know what the performance enhancer is but always suspicious of these applications and suggest you uninstall it and the temperature reporting application (HWinfo is one of the worst). Post a screenshot of the high temperature. AMD does not publish the exact temperature the processor shuts down but it is near the maximum published. Use Ryzen Master (RM) to see the real temperature. John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
aru
Adept I

109,22 C in Ryzen Master

View solution in original post

0 Likes
20 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

aru, simple answer: false temperature reading. Don't know what the performance enhancer is but always suspicious of these applications and suggest you uninstall it and the temperature reporting application (HWinfo is one of the worst). Post a screenshot of the high temperature. AMD does not publish the exact temperature the processor shuts down but it is near the maximum published. Use Ryzen Master (RM) to see the real temperature. John.

0 Likes

CPU.png

0 Likes

Thanks, aru. I would like to see a screenshot of the Advanced View when the Basic View is showing 109.2C. Please click the strange 'Bug' icon in the upper corner of RM and report this. Thanks, John.

0 Likes
aru
Adept I

109,22 C in Ryzen Master

0 Likes

What CPU Cooler are you using? seems to be either defective or not installed correctly or you have poor air circulation inside your PC.

The Maximum Operating Temperature of the 5700X is 95c which means once it reaches 95c it should start throttling or slowing down to keep the temperature at 95c or below according to AMD Specs on the processor.

The processor has a low TDP Rating of 65 Watts so most CPU Coolers rated above 105 watts TDP should be able to prevent the CPU from overheating.

To check for poor air flow inside the PC remove the side panel and see if your CPU temps are slight cooler under the same circumstances. If they are that would indicate poor air circulation inside your PC. 

Make sure all of your PC Case fans are working and running.

0 Likes

The cooling system is Fera 5, but I'm not asking about the cooling. The question was at what temperature should the CPU cause the computer to reset? Why didn't it reset, and why didn't it throttle? Could a temperature of almost 110 degrees Celsius have possibly damaged the processor in any way?

0 Likes

aru, I doubt your processor is damaged but please ask AMD. Also please answer the questions I asked above and open a RM Bug report. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

John, I have reported the lack of thermal protection for the processor.

I'll post the screenshot you asked for later

0 Likes

Thanks, aru. John.

0 Likes

John,  I forgot to mention that the second screenshot is taken under load from the Fritz Chess Benchmark. If I don't change the multiplier and keep the performance enhancement function off, temperatures max out at 75°C. However, my question is why the CPU thermal protection didn’t kick in and why the computer didn’t reset?

0 Likes

aru, I am really confused! Did you or your MB vendor Disable PROCHOT? Please look at the Settings, Advance of the Advanced View. Disabling PROCHOT simple allows the user to melt the processor. Perhaps the MB vendor discovered how to disable PROCHOT. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

aru, forcing the multiplier may prevent Ryzen from controlling the CPU clock which it does via the multiplier. Why this would prevent PROCHOT shutdown is a puzzle to me.

My recommendations: do not set the multiplier or use any applications but RM until all this is settled. Also do a Clear CMOS and stay out of BIOS. I am really concerned that your MB vendor is disabling PROCHOT. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

I would imagine at 110c the processor should have met or was extremely close to its critical shutdown temperature of shutting down the PC unless the Temperature monitoring software is incorrect or you have a defective thermal sensor either on the motherboard or CPU.

All processors are engineered to shutdown once it reaches its critical temperature where the CPU will get damaged. This prevents the Processor and Motherboard from being damaged. The Critical Shutdown temperature is different for each AMD processor model.

Your Ryzen Master is definitely showing that processor overheating at over 109c. while showing no throttling at all by the Motherboard nor the processor.  Since the Max Oper. Temp is 95c I imagine the Critical Shutdown temperature is near or slightly above 110c. just guessing though.

As an example only, When my CPU Cooler started to go bad on my FX 8350 I noticed that it would shut down once the temperature went over 80c while using OCCT Stress test. Also noticed my FX 8350 was running very hot under moderate to heavy loads. This hadn't happened in the past. The maximum operating temperature for the FX 8350 is 61c.

My FX8350 shutdown due to reaching its Critical Shutdown temperature 3 times while troubleshooting the issue. No damage to the processor nor motherboard. In fact the same FX8350 I used to upgrade my wife's PC from a FX6000 series processor and still is working like new.

So I replaced the defective CPU Cooler with a strong 150 Watt TDP rated Coolermaster CPU AIR Cooler and afterwards the FX 8350 temperatures never went higher than 60c under stress or heavy loads.

Your Processor should never have overheated to point of shutting down if your CPU Cooler was working correctly unless you have a defective CPU Cooler or processor.

According to Fera 5 its is a very strong Air CPU Cooler rated at 220 Watts TDP : https://www.silentiumpc.com/en/product/fera-5/  Your processor should never overheat under any circumstances unless the CPU Cooler was install incorrectly or it is defective or the processor is defective.

I would open a ticket with the FERA 5 manufacturer, Motherboard Support and AMD SUPPORT.

Here is AMD SUPPORT - WARRANTY and ask them if your processor needs to be checked or not: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

Note: I would first see if another CPU Cooler does the same thing by borrowing someone else's or contacting Silentiumpc Support to see if they believe you have a CPU Cooling issue or not.

So I will let you continue to troubleshoot with the other User who is very knowledgeable person to keep assisting you in fixing your problem.

Good luck and take care.

0 Likes
aru
Adept I

No overclocked processor is OKNo overclocked processor is OK

0 Likes
aru
Adept I

CPU @4500MHzCPU @4500MHz

0 Likes
aru
Adept I

John, I’ve adjusted two settings in the BIOS. I changed the CPU Core Ratio from Auto to 45 and enabled ASUS Performance Enhancement by setting it to ON.

0 Likes

Thanks, aru. I am going to try to get AMD to actually react to this. Something is really wrong. I hope it is RM and not the PROCHOT protection. Please see if you can recreate this without the BIOS changes and the MB application uninstalled. Also do a Clear CMOS. Is it possible that the MB vendor is disabling PROCHOT? Thanks, John.

0 Likes
aru
Adept I

Thank you, everyone, for your responses to my questions. I have submitted an official inquiry to AMD, and I will also be contacting ASUS support to ask if the ASUS Performance Enhancement feature disables PROCHOT.

I would like to ask if, in turbo mode, the processor should be able to reach the declared 4.6 GHz under load with a 65W TDP using a Fera cooling system and the motherboard's default settings. In my case, it only reaches 4.2 GHz.

0 Likes

aru, I cannot answer your question. AMD does not have a turbo mode. Are you talking about enabling PBO? Here is the AMD definition of maximum clock:

MaxBoost002.png

 Please run Cinebench R24 Single core and post a screenshot of RM only. Thanks, John.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Hi,

Don't use ASUS's performance enhancer if you don't have a massive cooling to go along, it raises power level in an overkill way. (Ask how intel is going with unlimited power levels)

Go back to stock and use the good ol' regular PBO with Curve Optimizer.

In the meanwhile, please tell us what is your cooling solution. Didn't read the recent posting.

Knowing quite well how ASUS tweaks stuff and how the board shoves these settings into the CPU, your Cooler is just not enought to have this option enabled, dang, I've seen good 280 and some 360 rads struggle with it.

Good Luck

The Englishman