cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

critical17
Journeyman III

AMD Ryzen 5 5600x Saftey Shut Down

I upgraded my CPU from a AMD Ryzen 3 3200g CPU to my current CPU AMD Ryzen 5 5600x and I always find myself hitting the saftey limit for my CPU leading to my PC shutting down as a result. Originally with the 3200g I could run almost every game without any issues (however some games did often crash but never shut down my PC) however with the new CPU and the new heatsync that came with it I am unable to play such games without my PC shutting down.

I recently added 2 more 120mm fans to my case going from 1->3 fans on my case, 2 intake 1 exhaust in hopes of that aiding in cooling down my PC however it only ever delays the inevitable of a full shut down. 

My PC is currently running off the correct bios version, 2 16gb 3200ghz DDR4 ram sticks, GeForce GTX 1650, ASRock B450M-HDV mother board and CiT Seven Black Micro ATX RGB Case.

My question is, what can I do to resolve this issue? Is it a case of getting a new heatsync or are there some settings I need to go through to resolve this issue in the BIOS start up.

0 Likes
5 Replies
432hz
Adept II

I'd monitor your CPU temps using Ryzen Master and verify that's the cause of the shutdowns.

If it is, I'd return to default settings in Ryzen Master and BIOS (consider a CMOS reset for good measure) and re-test. You'll also want to make sure you have the latest AMD chipset drivers installed for your mobo.

If you're still getting shutdowns due to CPU temps, look into adjusting PBO in BIOS (or disabling it). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfkrp25dpQ0

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes
Awol
Challenger

Boot into bios and see what your cpu temp is showing in there. If its high in the bios id check that you removed the protective film on the base of the heatsink. If the film has been removed then as advised id clear cmos and take it from there.

0 Likes

Here are some critical stats on your new 5600X processor from AMD:

Default TDP: 65W

Thermal Solution (PIB): AMD Wraith Stealth

Max. Operating Temperature  (Tjmax): 95°C

Your processor comes bundled with a AMD Wraith Stealth CPU Cooler which is the weakest AMD CPU Cooler they have. It is good for normal and moderate to some heavy loads but the processor will run hot almost to its Maximum Operating Temperature of 95c.

Since your processor is overheating to the point of reaching the critical temperature to shut down your PC means the CPU Cooler is not doing its job or you have some other external factor that is not allowing the Stealth to keep your processor from overheating.

1- The CPU Cooler Wraith is not installed correctly or the Cooler's Fan is not working the way it should.

2- Under powered CPU Cooler

3-Poor air circulation inside your PC case.  Remove the side panel of your PC case and see if Temperatures are slightly lower or it takes longer to overheat. If it does it indicate poor air circulation.

You can always, temporarily, leave the side panel off and direct a floor fan directly inside your PC case until you get a better PC case or strong AIR CPU Cooler.

4-One of  the PC Case fans is not working causing poor air circulation inside the PC Case.

5-Possible poor PSU Output voltages.

In my honest opinion I would upgrade the Stealth to a CPU Cooler rated at least 150 Watts TDP or higher.  There are many that cost forty dollars or less that are that powerful.  Go to PCPARTPICKER and input your processor then click on compatible CPU Coolers. There you should find something that is within your budget and will fit inside your PC Case.

EDIT: Download and run OCCT Stress test to test your CPU Cooler efficiency. It is overheats during one of the 3 tests (CPU, GPU, or PSU) that would indicate a weak CPU Cooler. Check CPU and Case fan speeds, Temperatures, and PSU Outputs.
432hz
Adept II

If you decide to upgrade your cooler, I can recommend the Thermalright Phantom Spirit for about $35 if your case fits it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaJBsQPqxRA

RX 6800 • Intel 12600k • G.Skill 6000 32GB • MSI B760M Mortar
0 Likes
FunkZ
Forerunner

A power off event due to temperature is likely a result of motherboard BIOS setting. Here is the manual for your board: https://download.asrock.com/Manual/B450M-HDV.pdf

Page 68 details the H/W Monitor section of the BIOS.

A power off event occurring under load could also be an overcurrent protection of the power supply. You didn't mention what power supply you have.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes