cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thedarkone198
Adept II

AMD, Please fix AGESA for Ryzen 3000 series chips

AMD, for the love of God, please fix the AGESA compatibility issues with various memory kits (such as Corsair LPX) that got broken on AGESA versions 1.2.0.5 and later on Zen 2 chips. Ever since leaving 1.2.0.3, I have not been able to run my memory at ANY speed over its base 2133MHz speeds and it is rated for 3600MHz and is on my board's supposed compatibility list. I would go back to older BIOS versions for this but I also use Windows 11 (anything under 1.2.0.5 does not have Windows 11 compatibility) and am not willing to downgrade to it just because AMD released a botched AGESA version for ZEN 2 that breaks memory compatibility for the many that use Ryzen 3000 series chips nor do I have the money to upgrade CPU or buy a different set of RAM just because AMD messed up its AGESA tables. I am not the only one experiencing this and I am leaving a solid chunk of performance on the table sticking with base DDR4 speeds in favor of not having BSODs every five seconds in daily use, assuming I don't BSOD at bootload. It went from working fine one day, then after a BIOS update, not working well at all. I am pretty sure it even caused a board I used to use (but still have) to just not even POST with the same memory kit. I thought the board died but it might just be the AGESA tables being messed up and making that board not even POST at all with this kit I have. I know another guy with a 3700X who cannot even load Windows because of this AGESA mess. Please fix this AMD. I know you don't care about anyone not using a 7000 series chip anymore but you better take care of your customers or they will not take care of you. I am probably just screaming into the ether and AMD will never see this, nor care at all if they do but even after updating to the latest 1.2.0.B update, it is not resolved. 

EDIT: Also this guy on the LTT forums was having the same issues and apparently got a special BIOS version from ASUS to fix it. We should not have to go through this kind of stuff because of AMD's ineptitude.

RAM Issues depending on AGESA version (1.2.0.5 to 1.2.0.7) - CPUs, Motherboards, and Memory - Linus ...

4 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

holy wall of text Batman ... 

Have you tried just upping the RAM voltage a smidge from 1.35v to 1.36v .. 1.37v?

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

actually yes, I have. I did not get into all the things I have tried as that would make said wall of text even more wally but yes,I have tried all kinds of different voltages and speeds under 3600MHz but over 2133MHz (and still matching memory fabrics speeds), and to no avail. I still get instability with anything over base speeds. I have tried as high as 1.4 volts and it still did not help.

you can break up your text into smaller paragraphs for easier reading, lol

So .. just to be clear .. you are running 2 sticks in slots A2/B2 (2nd and 4th slots away from the CPU socket)? ..or are you running 4 sticks? 

What motherboard and CPU are you running? 

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

yes, two sticks and they are in the A2/B2 slots. My board yells at me at POST if not using them lol. I have a Ryzen 9 3950X on an MSI X570 A-Pro. The other board I mentioned is a MSI B550 Gaming Edge Wifi but it is in its box at the moment. 

0 Likes