Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Schack69
Journeyman III

AMD 7950X3D problem.

Hi

Last year in May I bought a Gigabyte X670E Motherboard together with the 7950X3D processor and 64 GB of DDR 5 RAM.

This was before all the problems with the voltage of the RAM.

I installed the system with the EXPO profile and 1.4 V for the RAM.

Running the system, I had 2 time where the system didn’t boot, and the only way to get it running was to remove the CPU and insert it again.

After the second time, I run the RAM in native settings and that seems to remove the problem.

Then all the talk about the AGESA update started. I updated my system with every new BIOS update.

After some time, my system started to freeze and reset under startup and use. With every new BIOS update it seems to remove the problem for some time.

For 2 months ago the problem was so bad that I could not use it for gaming. Sometimes I had to restart 3-6 time before I could log into windows, and many times I got the windows blue screen for repairing the operative system.

Sometimes it worked normal, but when the system crashed, it was normal with a small freeze and the reset.

For me it looked like a memory fault, so I bought some native DDR 5 memory to test with. It seems to remove the problem but after 4 days the problem was back.

Now when I have the problem, I change the memory and get the system to run for 1-2 days.

From my chair it looks like it is the Memory controller in the CPU that have got damaged from the AGESA fault. When I do the memory change the CPU/Motherboard runs the memory optimization and that seems to remove the problem for some time until the memory seems to be unstable again.

Do any have similar experience with your CPU?

Mikkel

0 Likes
5 Replies
WayneF11
Journeyman III

Hi,

I read your issue and I have a suggestion for you to solve this issue. It seems like your CPU’s memory controller might be struggling due to the initial high voltage settings. It’s a good idea to keep the BIOS updated and run the RAM at default settings. If issues persist, consider reaching out to the motherboard or CPU manufacturer for potential repair or replacement.

I hope my suggestion will be helpful for you.

Best regard,
AarpMembership
0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Schack69, I would suggest you talk to your MB vendor for a possible replacement. Thanks and enjoy, John.

Schack69
Journeyman III

Thanks for the reply.

I had the understanding that the memory controller was in the 7950X3D.

But misterj talk about the MB may be faulty. Why?

The pictures of the defect CPU and MB show only damage on the MB socket from the CPU.

Mikkel

0 Likes

Mikkel, what pictures? The memory controller is certainly in the 7950X3D package, maybe a separate chip. The hex codes after POST, usually have no meaning, just last code. You definitely need to talk to Gigabyte about your problems and questions. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes
Schack69
Journeyman III

Also the Gigabyte MB show the codes 08 and 8F when loged into windows.

0 Likes