Processors

roupa_de_trapo
Adept III

AM5 OverClock does't work power limits! BLUE SCREEN OF THE DEATH

AMD RYZEN 9 7950X

64GB DDR5

ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E, BIOS 3024

Assassin III air cooler.

My overClock doesn't work as it should and for an obvious reason, the rule that limit at least the temperature issue is not respected, when it should be to avoid damage, as well as the consumption limit, which is also never respected. The result is that we easily have a blue screen. We know that electrical voltage can rise along with current, but if I say that the consumption limit is 180 watts, this should mean a barrier because coolers also have a maximum dissipation limit. There is no magical way for an air or liquid cooler to exceed its thermal dissipation capacity, and we still have the problem of heat transfer area, another obstacle to thermal efficiency.

It is no coincidence that reviewers are unhappy, because overclocking strategies are really bad and difficult to replicate, especially when we test the system's stability for a long period of time, we simply get a blue screen.

What happens is: I set a consumption limit at 180 watts, but I see that the system goes further in telemetry readings, there is no point in activating the PBO 105w which has a lower power limit, it always exceeds it.

And the "smart" options also don't work because they easily exceed the cooling capacity, they may even give a better score in a quick test, but all you have to do is repeat and the blue screen appears eventually.

This is serious, they should resolve this lack of real limits.

0 Likes
5 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

roupa_de_trapo, I assume you are aware AMD does not warranty OCing and even says it voids the warranty. AMD recommends a water cooler for the 7950X. To try to help you we need the BASIC tab of several of your crashes and screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) showing the processor exceeding its set limits and all your components. How are you setting the limits?  John.

I commented on the subject on the Asustek forum, the link below has my tests:

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/x670-resource/m-p/1035735/highlight/true#M6956

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/x670-resource/m-p/1035740/highlight/true#M6957

https://rog-forum.asus.com/t5/amd-600-series/x670-resource/m-p/1035747/highlight/true#M6959

As you can see, my air cooler saturates at 200 watts, so I tried setting it to 180 watts, which is the limit it can hold at a good temperature, but the system goes further. This also happens if I activate Asustek's automatic profile for overclocking performance mode. So, the sensors do not comply very well with the already known safe limits that I set for temperature and dissipated power.

It's an idea that I question here, because reviewers are right to complain about Zen 4 and Zen 5 regarding overclocking, because these processors become unstable due to this lack of control over the maximum limits that the user sets. The sensors also do not demonstrate intelligence when calculating the thermal dissipation capacity and allowing this to be exceeded. The processor itself comes out of the box, by default, with very high electrical voltages for low clocks.

Your statement is in line with reviewers in not recommending any attempt at overclocking.

0 Likes

roupa_de_trapo, I recommend you uninstall all MB vendor software and other go-fast applications, do a Clear CMOS and pick one method (BIOS, Ryzen Master (RM) or junk application) and have fun. If you want more help here, post all your components. John.

0 Likes

I'm using BIOS direct configurations where i put the maximum temperature for clock throttle at 89ºC and the dissipation at 180 watts, that is, I should have clock reduction confirmed before any system crash or blue screen event could occur. The logic is missing that if i say that these parameters should not be exceeded, that they are not exceeded, or that the sensors prevent incorrect maneuvers by the user in the same terms.

And, as you can see, the curve optimizer no longer makes sense with the availability of the curve shaper.

I know the limit of the machine and that's why i used a bench to have the values.

0 Likes

roupa_de_trapo, it is obvious you are not interested in my help. Please contact AMD here. John.

0 Likes