Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

jeoozcan
Adept I

About 'AMD Threadripper 3990X sTRX4 3.7/4.5 GHz 64C/128T' processors

Hello,

I bought the mentioned 'AMD Threadripper 3990XsTRX4 3.7/4.5 GHz 64C/128T' processor from Turkey.
I'm a scientist at a University and I bought the processor as part of a project to try out an inversion algorithm I wrote to get the image of the underground.
But I sent the processor to the company in Turkey due to overheating within 6 months.
The company in Turkey said that they did not have the product and offered to refund the money.
As you know, the dollar price has increased compared to the Turkish currency, and I cannot use the money to buy a new processor, so it will be insufficient.
So I asked to buy a new one from the manufacturer. Although it has been 1.5 months since I sent the processor, the processor still has not arrived.

Shout out to AMD officials. Please ensure that your products are tested first before releasing them to the market.
I can't finish my project because of this, I wish I had bought an intel processor, I wouldn't be a victim like this.

Thanks...

0 Likes
1 Solution

What type of CPU Cooler were you using that didn't prevent the Threadripper from overheating?

The processor could have been working fine except the CPU Cooler wasn't powerful enough to maintain the processor from overheating under loads.

You need a powerful AIO Liquid CPU Cooler for that processor.

Also unless the vendor/Retailer you purchased the Threadripper from still had a Warranty in effect and you purchased an official Sealed Retail Box AMD processor than you have a 3 year warranty from AMD.

AMD Warranty starts when the Retailer/Vendor's Warranty or Return date expires.

Unless you purchased a OEM/Tray Threadripper, in which case, the AMD Warranty is voided and only the Retailer/Vendor can warranty your processor.

NOTE: AMD Warranty is international. Here is AMD Warranty for purchasing a Processor in a Box: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

View solution in original post

6 Replies

What type of CPU Cooler were you using that didn't prevent the Threadripper from overheating?

The processor could have been working fine except the CPU Cooler wasn't powerful enough to maintain the processor from overheating under loads.

You need a powerful AIO Liquid CPU Cooler for that processor.

Also unless the vendor/Retailer you purchased the Threadripper from still had a Warranty in effect and you purchased an official Sealed Retail Box AMD processor than you have a 3 year warranty from AMD.

AMD Warranty starts when the Retailer/Vendor's Warranty or Return date expires.

Unless you purchased a OEM/Tray Threadripper, in which case, the AMD Warranty is voided and only the Retailer/Vendor can warranty your processor.

NOTE: AMD Warranty is international. Here is AMD Warranty for purchasing a Processor in a Box: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

Hello again,

I was using the 'MSI MAG CORELIQUID 360R 3x120mm ARGB' cooler to prevent overheating.
I have the best computer hardware to avoid the overheating problem.
In addition, the company I bought gave me a 3-year warranty and even gave me an RMA report about my processor's problem. But they say they don't have 3990X. I said that please import from AMD internationally.
The CPU started to heat up 3 months after I bought it. I still have a 3 year warranty.
My processor were not OEM/Tray, It was an official Sealed Retail Box AMD processor.
But the seller/Retailer says it is out of stock in the World. What should I do to speed up the work?

0 Likes

I had another user here at AMD Forum where his AMD Ryzen processor was also overheating using a MSI MAG LIQUIDCOOL 240R on his Ryzen 5900x. His Ryzen reached 90C which is at its Maximum Operating Temperature very quickly.

It also was overheating. He proved it by replacing the MSI AIO CPU Cooler with a CoolerMaster Hyper212 Black Air CPU Cooler as a troubleshooting procedure to eliminate the CPU Cooler from MSI. 

No more overheating no matter what loads were on his processor. He started RMA ticket to MSI: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/water-cooled-5900x-temperatures/m-p/502463#M44939

It is possible your MSI AIO CPU Cooler could also been defective and not the ThreadRipper. The ThreadRipper requires a very powerful Liquid AIO CPU Cooler to maintain it from overheating.

Here is AMD official CPU Coolers for Threadripper processors. None are from MSI: https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

As to your situation, unfortunately if your Retailer/Vendor gave you a 3 Non-AMD Warranty on your processor it pretty much voids AMD own warranty since it also is for 3 years from date of purchase.

AMD Warranty doesn't start UNTIL the Retailer's Warranty expires.

Did the Retailer check the processor and verified it was defective?  I bet it was a good CPU.

Another User here at AMD Forum a few months ago, not sure, but I believe he lived in Turkey and had a similar problem with his Turkish Retailer. He RMAed his processor and the Retailer also said there were no replacement and offered to give that User a refund knowing that it wouldn't pay for a new processor due to the Turkish lira economic situation. 

The Turkey Retailer also mentioned that AMD didn't have any in stock. So it sounds like the same situation you are in as that other User from Turkey was in.

EDIT: Found the thread about the other Turkish User and his issue with RMAing his processor in Turkey: https://community.amd.com/t5/processors/forced-return-of-processor-under-warranty/m-p/484806

If you want you can ask AMD SUPPORT - Warranty about your situation and see what they say about the AMD Warranty on your processor from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form\

Screenshot 2022-01-06 123016.png

AMD Support might be able to tell the legal Terms & Conditions for AMD Warranty in another country.

Dear elstaci,

Thank you very much.

Was this problem also caused by that MSI AIO CPU cooler?

YES UNFORTUNALITY