cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

walvest
Adept I

9900X CPU Makes Music Production Impossible

I’ve discovered that the essential licensing software for music production, iLok License Manager, does not run on the 9900X. Additionally, the DAW program Cakewalk, while it installs on the 9900X, does not function properly when executed. UA Connect, which is necessary to use UAD plugins, also fails to run. Since many programs, virtual instruments, and plugins rely on iLok License Manager, it is currently impossible to produce music on the 9900X.

I’ve seen other users on Reddit experiencing the same issues with the 9900X and 9950X. It’s surprising to see such problems with well-established programs like iLok and Cakewalk, which have been consistently updated and have run smoothly on any computer until now. I hope AMD can provide a solution to this issue soon.

84 Replies

I just sent a bunch of info to AMD. I will keep posting what I learn here. Don't want to escalate this yet, but in reality if it is not fixed it is a denial of service and there are other ways to fix this. Every keep requesting info every week fro ilock, pace, and AMD. It's the squeaky wheel that gets fix. Lukas are you using software or USB? it is very interesting that your vst work - are they iLock Protected? 

0 Likes
Lukas108
Journeyman III

Reply from Sound Toys. It seems like are waiting for AMD firmware update. 

1000030105.jpg

0 Likes

I just received the exact same response (copy/pasted) from iLok...

0 Likes
OregonVideoPhotography
Journeyman III

Posted on the iLock site:

"

Unfortunately, we have discovered that this is an issue with the AMD Zen 5 CPU microarchitecture that affects iLok-enabled software. This issue prevents the software from running correctly on Windows systems with these CPUs.
The problem is due to a bug in the CPU itself, which impacts the way certain protection features in iLok-enabled software work. We have reported the issue to AMD and are waiting for their response.
Currently, there is no immediate solution or workaround. We are hopeful that AMD will release a firmware update to fix the issue. In the meantime, we are also exploring potential workarounds, but these would require updates to the software from your software provider.
For now, we recommend monitoring updates from your software provider for any patches or updates that address this issue. Unfortunately, until a fix is available, the affected software may not function properly on your system with an AMD Zen 5 CPU.
Please check with your software provider or AMD for the latest updates on this issue. We will also provide updates as we receive more information from AMD."

"Bug in the CPU itself" impacts protection features in iLok-enabled software", wow could they be any more selfserving? It's always been the software developers developing software, not CPU developers. And now they are passing off possible work-a-rounds if the software providers will modify their software.

It looks like we are going to see some fireworks on this. "Bug in the CPU"....they better have real proof to publish that and feel that they've written the right code for it. Someone put their foot in their mouth with this "notice". I am sure AMD will respond once they see this notice.
0 Likes

Thanks, OregonVideoPhotography. I was about to ask for evidence for this "Bug in the CPU itself." I really hope that AMD responds soon, very soon. If iLock reported this to AMD I would expect they would post what they said to AMD so others can try to reproduce the problem. Like, why does this only seem to effect the music industry? John.

0 Likes