cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Stryker4Real
Journeyman III

9700X idle temps are insanely high for me, help?

My CPU sits at around 50-55 degrees Celcius in idle and jumps up to 70-75 degrees for a couple of seconds (2-3) when doing basic tasks, then they return back to about 52-53, although that's still high in my opinion. The interesting part is that running Cinebench multicore it never passed 61 degrees and when running Cinebench singlecore it never went over 66 degrees. I literally get higher temps in idle sometimes and this is the first time something like this happened to me.

Everything in BIOS is set on AUTO. Also, I use a couple of programs like Wallpaper Engine, RGB Fusion and GeForce Experience running in the background. Turned them all off and nothing changed.

Tried everything with the pump and radiator fans, put them at 100%, on silent mode, etc. and the differences were like 2-3 degrees. Nothing changed massively.

My curent setup is: 

MOBO: GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX V2 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 3.8GHz box 

COOLER: ARCTIC AC Liquid Freezer III 360 ARGB White 

GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4080 SUPER AERO OC 16GB GDDR6X 256-bit DLSS 3.0 

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB White 32GB DDR5 6000MHz CL36 Dual Channel Kit 

PSU: GIGABYTE UD850GM PG5 White, 80+ Gold, 850W 

CASE: Montech AIR 903 Max White 

SSD 1: Lexar NM790 2TB PCI Express 4.0 x4 M.2 2280 

SSD 2: Lexar NM620 1TB PCI Express 3.0 x4 M.2 2280 

I can't run Ryzen Master since it doesn't support the 9700X yet, or at least that's the error I get.

The BIOS is updated to the last one available F31b.

Airflow is pretty good, 3x140mm Fans intake with a 140mm Fan exhaust and the 3 fans on the radiator mounted on the top as exhaust.

Everything is brand new, got all the components 2 days ago and assembled them myself.

A thing I see is that the CPU is running at 5550MHz constantly in desktop and it never goes down, once I even hit 5.7GH which it shouldn't even be able to. When I use it in Cinebench multicore, all the cores lower down at 4.4/4.5GHz so I assume that's how the temperature is being that good, in singlecore it just stays at the same speed of 5.5GHz as it is on desktop.

I assume that the problem is the GHz, how do I set it lower on desktop? Can I even do that? My last Ryzen CPU was 2700X, not really being used to all these new stuff since most of my life I used blue team's CPUs.

IMG_8788.JPEG

Screenshot 2024-08-23 200138.png

0 Likes
6 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Stryker4Real, with 95C being the maximum according to AMD certainly none of these are "...insanely high". Open an AMD support request about RM not supporting your processor. DL RM ONLY here. If you got your copy anywhere else get the latest one from AMD. Ryzen processors are very good at attacking a task given by the OS. So the clocks go up quickly and temperatures also. You can reduce the performance of your processor and keep the temperatures lower but I certainly do not recommend it. John.

0 Likes

Apparently the Ryzen Master app from the Gigabyte website was outdated, downloaded the one from the official AMD website and it worked with my CPU.

Will run it like this for now and see if the temperature will get higher with time. I guess the only thing to do now is to wait for future motherboard and drivers updates because the CPU is still new after all and if the CPU will start to get over 55 degrees in idle I will just get another cooler and a contact frame and see if this will fix the issue.

Thank you for the help!

0 Likes

Thanks, Stryker4Real. You should get nothing but BIOS from the MB vendor. Get all AMD drivers here. John.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

A 360 AIO should be able to keep an 8 core processor in spec.

The 9000 series was purported to be more efficient than 7000 series... maybe not?

I assume the same PBO tweaks are available for 9000 series?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOYYHNGlLs

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

It indeed is more efficient in absolutely everything than idle from what I can see. Maybe it's a driver / bios problem, Gigabyte removed the bios version I have from their site so probably a new one is coming.

Never seen this processor get over 70 degrees in anything except idle, handles stress tests like a champ so the cooler 100% does its job (single core test in cinebench, 5.5GHz on the first core and it never exceeds 66 degrees, that's extremely impressive), but yeah, idle temps seem to be a problem. Did an -30 curve optimizer, I hit about 52 degrees while playing World of Warships and about 60 in COD MW3, but the idle temps didn't really improve that much (the load temps did tho).

So yeah, for now I'll be waiting for new drivers and bios updates.

0 Likes

Stryker4Real, if your MB vendor removed your BIOS version that tells us it has problem(s). Please install the latest released (not Beta) before this one. Please post screenshots of RM running Cinebench R24 Single and multicore. Thanks, John.

0 Likes