My build:

• 8700G
  • B650I Aorus Ultra
  • Crucial 64GB CP2K32G56C46U5 
  • Inwin Chopin Max case/PSU
  • Ubuntu 24.04

I get artifacts in the form of flicking white/red dots across the screen:

• Visible on darker areas
  • Particularly on continuous tone (eg on images/videos) - noticeably absent (or much less so) on flat dark colours, eg plain black
  • Increases with CPU usage - eg I can run stress to increase the frequency of dots - although the temp stays in 50s

These do not seem to appear under Windows, they seem Linux-specific.

I've tried:

• Different PSU
  • Different MB (I started with Asus but gave up with the coil whine)
  • Swapping out memory sticks to  use 1 at a time
  • Disabling EXPO
  • Different distros (X11 or Wayland)
  • Upgrading kernel (now on latest 6.9.9)

So pretty sure it's not hardware, and seems Linux specific. I'm guessing I might need to try some combination of kernel parameters and/or change something in BIOS - any suggestions?

1 Solution
otoh
Journeyman III

Following up on this in case anyone else finds it...

Firstly, I was somehow mistaken that it's only on Linux - more testing showed it happened on Windows also.

I posted about this elsewhere and found one other person with the same issue (albeit with 8600G and different MB and memory) - and ultimately the same (improbable) resolution...

This seems to be triggered by increasing memory frequency - eg enabling EXPO in my case. Once triggered, lowering the frequency again somehow doesn't fix it. Resolving it requires a BIOS reflash on the motherboard (and not enabling EXPO etc).

It's very odd and I suspect it's a faulty CPU (otherwise it would be more widely reported) - but it's otherwise stable and I'm past the point of RMAing it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
roupa_de_trapo
Adept III

First, you should check if you can stabilize the memory on Linux or Windows, my suggestion is to test y-cruncher or TM5 with profile 1usmus_v3. 

as you say this problem does not happen on Windows, it could be a problem with a Linux driver and maybe it affects other distributions, however, Ubuntu may have problems that do not happen on others, in the same way that some less popular distributions also depend of what they are packing.

0 Likes
otoh
Journeyman III

Following up on this in case anyone else finds it...

Firstly, I was somehow mistaken that it's only on Linux - more testing showed it happened on Windows also.

I posted about this elsewhere and found one other person with the same issue (albeit with 8600G and different MB and memory) - and ultimately the same (improbable) resolution...

This seems to be triggered by increasing memory frequency - eg enabling EXPO in my case. Once triggered, lowering the frequency again somehow doesn't fix it. Resolving it requires a BIOS reflash on the motherboard (and not enabling EXPO etc).

It's very odd and I suspect it's a faulty CPU (otherwise it would be more widely reported) - but it's otherwise stable and I'm past the point of RMAing it.

Could you link to the page you mentioned? I'm having a similar problem in my 8600G build.

0 Likes

I would contact AMD SUPPORT and let them be aware of your findings and fix.  May not be a defective CPU rather more of a BIOS issue that AMD might be able to look into.

But if your CPU was overheating that could be a good reason for the artifacts to show up.

AMD SUPPORT: https://www.amd.com/en/forms/contact-us/support.html

0 Likes

otoh, I suspect it is the EXPO timings that are the problem not the frequency and not the processor. A Clear CMOS should have resolved the issue. John.

0 Likes
ygwd111
Journeyman III

I have a 8700g and a 8600g,both of them have the same problem.white dot especially at high temperature 

0 Likes