cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

bholthaus32
Adept I

7950x Games Constantly Crashing HELPPPP

I've been reading every thread on every website about the 7950x crashing, and absolutely none of the threads have helped solve my issue. So I just upgraded my rig Switching from Intel to AMD. I started this rig with Win 10, and upgraded to Win 11 in the hopes that it would help. It didn't. This is my current system:

ASUS PRIME X670-P

AMD Ryzen 9 7950x

Rtx 3070 Ti

64gb XPG Lancer RGB DDR5 6000 MHz.

Windows 11.

1000w PSU

Basically, I can't game. Note, I'm a filmmaker and do a lot of 4k editing, really heavy workloads, and I have 0 issues, no crashes. The crashes are only in videogames. Between, Cod MW2, Cod Cold War, Rainbow six Siege and Microsoft Flight Sim, they all randomly crash at random points, but within 5-15 minutes of playing. Rarely do I get more than 15 minutes of play time. This happens regardless of graphics settings, although it seems to happen slightly less often in Cod MW2 when I use super duper low graphics, like potato graphics. I don't think it is the GPU, because I had the 3070 Ti in my previous Intel Rig for over 6 months without so much as a hiccup. I don't think any of my games crashed once in the past year and a half.

This is everything I've done so far:

Ran TestMem5 to look for any issues with the ram. There were 0 errors found in 1 hour of running TestMem5.

I reinstalled windows, and even upgraded to the latest Version. Was Win 10, am now Win 11.

I reseated the GPU and Ram.

Made sure all drivers were installed and updated, including the BIOS. I've reinstalled the games. I've turned off every setting related to overclocking, and turned them on. When I messed with the Ram settings, the system became incredibly unstable, crashing left and right. So I put the ram settings back to Auto and it calmed down. 

I've monitored the Temps of everything, including the CPU. At full workload the CPU never goes above 96c, which from what i've read is seemingly normal for this CPU. 

There is nothing helpful in the Windows event viewer.

I'm at my wits end with this CPU. If I'd have known the stability issues this chip has before purchasing, I never would have wasted my money. I hope someone has some insight. Thanks!

52 Replies
TrapHouse1
Journeyman III

Hey man it's currently March 3 of 2023 and I was able to get a stable boot and play games I went into bios DCOP 

Selected manually then set memory frequency to 4800mhz amd saves and quit and booted went into call of duty mw2 and it ran the game just fine before I was expiring the same things you were I hope this helps everyone cus man was it a long 24hrs of my life trying to figure out if I did something wrong 

0 Likes
KingYIEH
Adept I

Thank god I'm not alone. I'm having exactly the same issue! Dude I'm starting to regret going AMD. Seriously! I tried every trick and every driver. The **bleep** thing keeps crashing.

My setup :

Processor : AMD Ryzen 9 7950X

RAM : Kingston Fury Beast RGB 64 Gb DDR5-6000 Profile 1 EXPO

SSD : WD_Black SN850X

Motherboard : Asus ROG Strix X670E-A

Cooling : AIO Fractal Design Lumen S36 RGB

My setup doesn't overheat! It just doesn't accept any driver I give it. I tried the latest one from AMD site 23.4.1 and same issue.

Did you manage to fix this?

0 Likes

same things. Amd- never **bleep**in again. 

0 Likes
Headwires
Journeyman III

I'm late to the party here but I've also had issues with my 7950x.

All drivers, BIOS and Windows up to date.

I've been having random restarts with no black screens.  Worked fine during games, it seemed to be when using Teams or using the internet.

I found some others with the same issue and had to disable C-State in my bios.  Not had a random restart since. 

Hopefully this helps others users here.

0 Likes
Leonid3dviz
Adept I

mate, wich motherboard do you have? And where you find C-state in bios? 

0 Likes

MSI MPG X670E Carbon WIFI

I just searched for 'state' in BIOS and the option was there.  Disable it and fingers crossed it will stop the random restarts.

A lot of people here are talking about RAM issues.  I did suspect mine, but luckily it wasn't.

0 Likes
Agracuta
Journeyman III

Hello everyone I have the exact same issue, and i was also at my wits end, but I found one small setting that fixes it:

Bios settings find Core Boost Overdrive (henceforth refered to as CBO) and set it to DISABLED

Once I did that, the crashes have completely stopped. I lost about roughly speaking 8% CPU performance, but it is now stable.

A couple of asides:

Processor should no longer crash but you will lose some performance due to speed not quite hitting the highest possible mhz underload, this is a small price to pay IMO if the cpu is crashing all the time however.

Also, if you want to further improve your system when you turn off CBO its actually pointless to run it at 170w tdp, so if you go to your Performance Boost Overdrive settings (PBO, not to be confused with aforementioned CBO) then i also reccomend setting it to 'ECO Mode' and setting it to 105w.

with CBO disabled, theres almost no difference between 170w and 105w performance modes at least in my testing. so its a way to get a cooler running CPU as well.

this changes should hopefully fix your crashes, and ensure your system is stable.

Also, just as one final aside: X670 boards are crap at ram with 4 sticks, so stick to 2 stick of ram only for now until they hopefully fix the BIOS issues with these boards. as that could be another reason your machine is unstable.

I hope this helps and please let me know if this worked for you.

Alita
Adept I

I have similar issues, my configuration is the following:

• Motherboard: GIGABYTE B650 GAMING X AX
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7950X (Default settings)
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4080
  • Memory: 2x 32 GB PC-5-41600 DDR5 SDRAM Corsair CMK64GX5M2B5200C40
  • Display: 2x ASUS TUF Monitor (Display Port)
  • Drivers: up to date

Observation:

• VGA light is red on the motherboard all the time (tested GPU with furmark, got 29820 score)
  • When I get the issue, I lose display on both monitors, HDD led is off but the RGB + fans are working properly and I have to hard reboot the computer
  • Sometimes a simple use of the web browser is causing the issue

0 Likes
Leonid3dviz
Adept I

i swap memmory, ssd, powercase and motherboard. Nothing help. Today i both 13900k and new motherboard. I cant keep this circus more. I want just work like it was everytime when i use intel. Amd- newer @#$% again

update to latest bios for your mobo, and then Try setting C-state to "disabled" if you use bios search c-state it should come up.

this solved all my issues.

Angeluk
Challenger

64gb XPG Lancer RGB DDR5 6000 MHz. What is this? 2x32gb or 4x16gb? I have 2x16gb and i have no problems, but i heard that people having problems with 2x32gb... did you try with just one stick of ram? Would still be crashing? try 2x16gb if you can.

0 Likes
Jerichos911
Adept I

brother i have the same problem. my pc has been dead for 6 months now. I have replaced every part on my pc and the last item replaced was the 7950x. However, it still crashes and doesn't display bsod at all. just black  blank screen and you cant turn off pc unless you unplug. 

0 Likes
B3tterRun
Journeyman III

I have the same issue, has anyone found a fix? My system crashes while playing any game but nothing else causes crashes. My systems is:

Asus Strix X-670E- E Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7950X3D

Gskil Trident G5 AMD Expo - 48GB RAM

Corsair 360mm AIO Cooler

Samsung M.2 SSD 990

AMD 7900 XTX GPU

Corsair 1000W Power Supply

Windows 11

All drivers and updates are current.

I have tried everything including replacing everything but the CPU.

0 Likes