cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

CraneRivers2024
Journeyman III

7600x extremely hot: up to 100w and over 90ºC in games

As the title suggests, high power consumption is causing high temperatures in games and loss of performance. With the mobo’s default settings I’m only able to get 13758 points in Cinebench R23 and at 3% utilization the system is already drawing 43w, which indicates it is not a gaming-related problem. For comparison, in games, this chip should draw 65 to 75 watts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HzUAd5o_zY

I’m starting to suspect many of the threads regarding 7600x high temperatures are actually due to high power usage.

I’ve mitigated the issue by manually changing frequencies and voltages (1.150, 5200mhz). I’ve also tried PBO, but it has not performed as well. These are the results of my tests:

PBO:

CraneRivers2024_2-1715566953871.png

Edit: I have not registered power draw correctly. Sorry

Manual changes: 

CraneRivers2024_4-1715567351374.png

Edit: the reason I applied a -100 to the vddcr_vdd was because the default value was 1.285, which I thought was quite high. It may be different on your mobo.

My numbers are not very accurate, so don’t take them as a faithful representation of reality, but 5200mhz at 1.150v plus changes in VDDCR and VDDR yielded the best results and I’m only getting around 65w - 70w in CS2 although I didn’t write these numbers so they could be off by a few watts. Unfortunately,  I still can’t get 15k on Cinebench R23.

Questions: 

1. Is there a way to fix the issue? Apparently the chip thinks it needs way more power than it actually does to run at the desired frequencies.Is there a way to undervolt the system without neutralizing PBO? Setting a lower voltage/frequency overrides PBO. If PBO is active, changing the VDDCR_VDD to a number as low as 25 prevents booting and  Changing the VDDR_SOC to -100  apparently prevents my system from waking up from sleep and appears to have no effect on power draw. 
  2. Are there any other settings in the bios I could change that would allow me to get a normal performance score?
  3. Could the mobo/chip be defective?

My motherboard is an ASRock B650M-HDV/M.2, BIOS version = 2.10

Thank you for your attention.

Kind regards.

0 Likes
9 Replies
FunkZ
Forerunner

Have you looked at reviews? Seems your 7600X is functioning as designed...

Gamers Nexus review of the 7600X - 90°C and 116W 

Temperature - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-twyjfYIw&t=1076s

Power Consumption - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-twyjfYIw&t=1135s

If you reduce the power consumption, you will get reduced performance. But if you still wish to do this then use PBO Limits and set a low PPT value to the wattage you want to restrict the CPU to, such as the 75W you mention.

Setting a negative value in Curve Optimizer will reduce power for a given clock speed, however as your results indicate, this simply allows the processor more clock speed for the same power draw, unless you're already at the frequency limit.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes
CraneRivers2024
Journeyman III

Hi. Thanks for the reply

A normal functioning system would get around 15k on Cinebench and would not draw 100 watts while running CS2. For comparison, here’s someone else playing CS2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUTK8kN3-14&t=405s

60 - 70 watts

Here’s HWU video on the 7600x:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WubXd2tXOA&t=255s

https://youtu.be/_WubXd2tXOA?t=1070

Power draw: 111w, clock speeds: 5,2ghz, points: 15,2k

These are my results:

CraneRivers2024_0-1715642591821.png

Power Draw: 110w, clock speeds: 4,9ghz, points: 13991.

«If you reduce the power consumption, you will get reduced performance.»

Actually, I got a higher score after undervolting the cpu: 14,6k

0 Likes

@CraneRivers2024 wrote:

A normal functioning system would get around 15k on Cinebench and would not draw 100 watts while running CS2.

Here’s HWU video on the 7600x:

Power draw: 111w, clock speeds: 5,2ghz, points: 15,2k

These are my results:

Power Draw: 110w, clock speeds: 4,9ghz, points: 13991.

«If you reduce the power consumption, you will get reduced performance.»

Actually, I got a higher score after undervolting the cpu: 14,6k

Not sure how you can compare a default benchmark run to settings that are manually tweaked and to be fair, all over the place with what you are changing, and call it a "normal functioning system"?

I did note that HWU states they tested with a 360mm AIO, but nowhere did you mention what cooling you're using? Did you factor temperature into the results comparison?

You can reduce core voltage and potentially get higher clock speed, but the power draw is still right around 100W. If you restrict the power draw, you will get reduced performance.

0 Likes
CraneRivers2024
Journeyman III

Now that you've mentioned it, I think my post is not as clear as I thought. Sorry about that.

Anyway: normal functioning system = a mobo's default settings, which got me 13758 points on Cinebench R23 and 100w on CS2.

After that, I tried messing around with PBO settings to see how things would change. Manually undervolting yielded the best result. I ran another test today ando got 14901 points with 5,25ghz@1.150 volts -100 to VDDCR_VDD.

«I did note that HWU states they tested with a 360mm AIO, but nowhere did you mention what cooling you're using? Did you factor temperature into the results comparison?»

I have a Phantom Spirit with a single fan, but I'm 99,99% sure this is not the problem, but the power draw itself. More power, more heat that needs to be dissipated, that's why 100 watts on CS2 will result in a temperature of 90ºC.

0 Likes

As far as air cooling goes, the Phantom Spirit is a good cooler, there's probably a 5-10°C difference though with a 360mm AIO. You also have to consider the ambient where you live compared to the control. The cooler isn't necessarily a "problem" but it can be a limiting factor as with these chips on Auto, the lower the temp, the higher the boost, the better the score. It seems you got close with manual tuning 14.9k @ 5.25GHz.

Aside from the cooler, various motherboards "Auto" voltage can behave differently between manufacturers. Just look at all the problems Intel is having right now with their power profiles. Does ASRock overvolt more than they should? This is where Curve Optimizer comes into play. A CPU in a motherboard with lower Auto voltage may only be stable @ -20 CO whereas in a motherboard with higher Auto voltage may be stable @ -30 CO. I use PBO and give my CPUs as much negative CO as they will take.

Here's a Optimum YT Video on using PBO to set voltage, thermal and power limits on the 7000 series Ryzen. If you are concerned about temperature and power usage give this a look.

0 Likes
CraneRivers2024
Journeyman III

Please ignore the spreadsheets I posted before, I labeled VDDR_SOC as VDDCR_VDD. Here's a new version with some more tests:

PBO settings:

CraneRivers2024_2-1715812644459.png

Blue = mobo's default settings:

Manual tuning:

CraneRivers2024_1-1715811574151.png

Power Draw = max package power

I noticed that -100 to the vddr_soc would prevent the system from rebooting properly, even though it is stable on Cinebench R23. -75 worked fine, however. 

I only used Cinebench, but cannot say if the system is 100% stable with other apps/benchmarking tools.

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

CraneRivers2024, please stay out of BIOS, do a Clear CMOS and remove any applications that claim to boost performance, especially from MB vendor. Post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) running Cinebench R24 Multicore (image of CB only.) We need to see all your parts (including CPU cooler). Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
CraneRivers2024
Journeyman III

Hello

CraneRivers2024_0-1715844764972.png

Final results: 14344

Asrock B650M-HDV/M2
2x16gb @ 4800mhz  XPG Lancer. Since I've not touched the bios, these are the default speeds.
4tb Kingston HyperX Fury Renegade 
There's also a 500gb sata hdd.

With the mobo's default settings, I am getting around 82w on CS2

0 Likes
Balrogos
Adept II

My boy its clearly shown that ur limiting factor is a temperature on CPU, what cooler are u using? is 1,150v is core voltage and if it yes why so high? Did u try Curve Optimizer?

I have R5 7600 4.35Ghz(+200Mhz auto OC) and -60 Curve optimizer in bios

And i got 15k score in cinebench, 70C on 1-pass 85Watt usage without Curve optimizer it would be little bit over 100w, wattage limits i use motherboard one. 

And i am using one of best air cooler  Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Also if u use manual voltage its stay whole time 1.15v whatever you do so ofcource in games the powwer draw would be bigger becouse with PBO it go down depended on alogithm. 

0 Likes