Ray91
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3600 with x570 motherboard not letting me use linux

I have amd themed pc. Here are the specs of my pc -

motherboard - MSI x570-A-pro

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - radeon rx 6700 xt

ram - 16x2 3200mhz g.skill trident

These specs are good for linux support. But inmy case display output start to stutter, then display freezes, then pc restart. And on the next boot before os booting i see some error codes with hardware error. And if you think any component is damaged, it's not the case because windows works just fine.

From bios side, bios is updated to most recent version as of today. UEFI only is enabled(which is good/recommended for every os today), secure boot disabled which is necessary for linux, no overclocking enabled, no overheat issue(because i am using third party cpu cooler, which is maintaining temp close to 50 at idle). Last but not least as some other older discussion of users with your team sugesting that in case of amd 3000/5000 series processor amd 500 series motherboard chipset, disabling c-state and one more option fix the issue. I did the same but still having the issue.

I have forum opened to msi, OS maintainer and amd. nothing helping me so far.

Here are the link to other forum if that could help you.

MSI Forum - https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/how-do-i-install-linux-os-x570a-pro-motherboard.387690/

Linux Forum - https://forum.garudalinux.org/t/linux-crashing-on-my-pc/36780/3

2 Solutions
Ray91
Adept I

A workaround helped, disabling c-state from bois->overclocking fixed issue temporarily.
That's just a temporary solution suggested by amd on some other post.
Issue was for ryzen 3000/5000 series and 500 series motherboard chipset only.
Some users may also have to change power control from auto to typical.

Again that's just temporary solution amd promised to give bios update to fix that issue but seems like issue still persist for ryzen 3000/5000 cpu with 500 series mobo.
It's risky, as changing power control can lead your processor to work at higher watt, which may or may not cause damage.

View solution in original post

SerchTech
Adept II

Hi Ray91

I have no experience with MSI or X570 boards, I'm on Fedora40 using Threadripper/X399 with Secure Boot and fTPM enabled, CSM and Fast Boot disabled, no stability issues with Windows11 dual boot.

CPU power management doesn't change much between Zen+ (Ryzen 2000) and Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000), AMD still recommends using Ryzen Power Plan on Windows for both generations. Perhaps your board being designed for Zen 3 requires BIOS changes that have been useful for Zen and Zen+: I recommend looking for a setting in BIOS called [Power Supply Idle Control] and changing the value to [Typical Current Idle], see what happens.

I hope this helps

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Ray91
Adept I

A workaround helped, disabling c-state from bois->overclocking fixed issue temporarily.
That's just a temporary solution suggested by amd on some other post.
Issue was for ryzen 3000/5000 series and 500 series motherboard chipset only.
Some users may also have to change power control from auto to typical.

Again that's just temporary solution amd promised to give bios update to fix that issue but seems like issue still persist for ryzen 3000/5000 cpu with 500 series mobo.
It's risky, as changing power control can lead your processor to work at higher watt, which may or may not cause damage.

SerchTech
Adept II

Hi Ray91

I have no experience with MSI or X570 boards, I'm on Fedora40 using Threadripper/X399 with Secure Boot and fTPM enabled, CSM and Fast Boot disabled, no stability issues with Windows11 dual boot.

CPU power management doesn't change much between Zen+ (Ryzen 2000) and Zen 2 (Ryzen 3000), AMD still recommends using Ryzen Power Plan on Windows for both generations. Perhaps your board being designed for Zen 3 requires BIOS changes that have been useful for Zen and Zen+: I recommend looking for a setting in BIOS called [Power Supply Idle Control] and changing the value to [Typical Current Idle], see what happens.

I hope this helps
0 Likes

That's what worked for me.

SerchTech
Adept II

Thanks for share your own solution.

0 Likes