cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Dreadk1d
Journeyman III

5950x underperforming on benchmark 70vs 110% avg

I really have been enjoying my 5950 for about 4 years now with an AIO cooler and max fans on pretty much 24/7. The Benchmark I ran today said I was underperforming by about 40%. I have recently updated my bios and chipset to the latest version about 3 weeks ago with helldivers 2 launch. I see massive fps drop and I have this paired with a 3090FE and only see about 100 fps when I think it should be close to 150 200. I also get some really bad lows even if the fps makes sense.  Capture.PNG

0 Likes
22 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Dreadk1d, please post all your parts. Post a screenshot of Ryzen Master (RM) running Cinebench R24. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) 
Corsair CMH32GX4M2D3600C18 4x16GB
NZXT Kraken X62 280mm
6 fans with the 2 on the rad

0 Likes

Dreadk1d, really need to see the  screenshot of RM running Cinebench R24. Thanks, John.

0 Likes

Running Cinebench zoom chrome and discord.  There is a single core and multicore ss of both cinebench and Ryzen master. I didn't fully run them but I can if thats needed.
spu4.PNGcpu3.PNGspu2.PNGcpu1.PNG

0 Likes

Thanks, Dreadk1d. I only need to see multi-core and run to completion. Just post the final score;  SSs of Cinebench are not needed. Thanks, John.

EDIT: The red meter (EDC) is causing throttling. It surprises me it is the only meter red. If you want to run faster, you can raise the limit for EDC. These limits are set by the MB vendor.

0 Likes

Dreadk1d has some non-default limits set on PPT and TDC, 1000W and 1000A. The red on EDC at 100% of 180A is less concerning than the peak CPU speed of 4000MHz.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

Updated the setting off of default and it seems to do better. LMK if you think this is appropriate.

cpu6.PNGcpu5.PNGcpu7.PNGI changed off default

0 Likes

No, something is still off. Your second screenshot above of the Multi Core Cinebench shows peak CPU speed still set at 4000MHz and all of your cores are topping out at 3999-4000 which is not normal. Your PPT is 1000W and your TDC is 1000A, these are not factory settings.

0 Likes

Dreadk1d, the RM numbers are garbage. This bug showed recently, please open a Bug Repot. Do a Clear CMOS and try again. Please post what the CB score is and post no more SSs of CB. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

FunkZ, some MB vendors set those limits to yield no limit. John.

0 Likes

Yes, if PBO is enabled and limits are set to Motherboard, motherboard manufacturers set the limits to the moon. There is no need for 1000W PPT or 1000A TDC, there is also no reason to limit the CPU speed to 4000. Something is off in the BIOS settings and as you and I indicated a reset BIOS is in order.

0 Likes

Latest update- bios cleared with jumper and followingcpu9.PNGcpu8.PNGIMG_7851.jpg settings applied  I didnt really see any single core boosting but I did see over 4ghz on multicore. There is probably some thermal throttling as I dont know if this is package temp or jtemp either but it jumped up to 88 under heavy load but stabilized a little lower after it probably throttled itself.

0 Likes

4227 is better than 4000. Still not sure what is setting the limits so high. John seems to think it may be a Ryzen Master bug. I'm curious what that BIOS setting "ASUS Performance Enhancement" is doing? That could very well be a motherboard modification that is altering the PBO settings and causing some undesirable results.

The reason I say undesirable is I would expect more from a 5950X than a mere 4.2GHz all-core and even worse apparent single core performance. It should be approaching 5GHz single core. Can you try resetting BIOS defaults again? Are you manually enabling that "ASUS Performance Enhancement" or is that enabled by default? Can you find that setting in BIOS and disable it?

Also as your temp was approaching 82°C on that multi-core Cinebench, you mention you have an AIO cooler but not what make/model/size?

0 Likes

That is a manual change, It says it is an OC auto booster from ASUS which I think is the board manufacturer. Ill swap it off check again then if it occurs still I can set it to default. Im only using a 220mm rad as well that is eating the gpu heat as well so thermal throttling may be an issue. But like I said I didn't see single core boost up and thats a low temp test with 1 core. I think I also said I had the x63 kraken,? Maybe not I dont remember but 3 intake and 3 output blowing hot air out the top.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Exemplar

My 5700X runs flat out 4600MHz+ on all cores using PBO and Auto-OC, it outperforms a stock 5800X in all benchmarks. Dreadk1d why are you manually setting 4000MHz frequency on a 5950X? That CPU should be capable of boosting up to 4950MHz at all stock settings. You are literally throttling your processor on purpose.

0 Likes

I havent set anything in master. I think I got it just to view temps a while ago.

If its set I would have no idea why .

Edit: If you have a recc to swap some settings I'm all for it.

0 Likes

Then your BIOS settings are not correct. Recommend you make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your board and reset to default.

0 Likes

IMG_7862.jpgIMG_7861.jpgIMG_7860.jpgIMG_7859.jpgcpu11.PNGIcpu10.PNG

I turned off the Asus and saw the core speed increase when boosting. I then ran the OC for all cores on master. Overall saw no crazy changes and the core speed appeared to settle at 4.2ghz multicore and 4-4.1 single core. sits at 67 but yoyos the clock speed from 1-4ghz so maybe tjunction is hitting thermal limit. It seems to have lost like 5% performace after doing the OC at -22 for all cores. I also replaced the thermal paste so I know its good between the 2 pics. Also you can see the task manager and the ryzen master not agreeing on the clock speed as well.  Just to make sure you understand I ran both the tests before and after core optimization and it seems to make the timing worse.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Is that UserBenchmark?

Just put "UserBenchmark" & "AMD" on google and you'll know whats going on.
They are highly suspicious.

The Englishman
0 Likes

It was but also i have terrible framerate and lows with my system. On helldivers 2 I was getting frame drops while my uncle has a worse build and did fine. I also think the benchmarks were against the same cpu in different builds and mine did worse. Check above i just gained like 25% performance from no where

0 Likes

The thing is, you have stated little information and then posted an userbench to back it up.

Don't get me wrong but I don't even know the resolution and/or settings you play, and we are  jumping into conclusion saying: The CPU is to blame.

I don't know the game, I don't play the game but Youtube sure has lots of small time creators mass posting gameplays into it.

From the 3 videos I saw, the 3090ti on a 5900X got 120fps with ULTRA Quality at 1080p, consistent. So its a bit off track from the 150-200fps you should be getting unless the scaler was used. I know its not a 5950X but its a TI model nonetheless. Even a 4070 Ti Super on a 7950X3D got around 140fps.

I am always a bit cautious on my replies and by that I mean, not saying that the CPU is 100% free of guilt. For that matter, there are already two other guys helping you, so I won't interfere.

However.... From your system specs post:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Nvidia RTX 3090 FE
WD Black SN850 NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 1TB
Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) 
Corsair CMH32GX4M2D3600C18 4x16GB <- 4 STICKS
NZXT Kraken X62 280mm
6 fans with the 2 on the rad

My question is simple and out of the box, do you run them at 3600?

Ryzen CPU's like fast memory and lower latency, it really impact fps BIG TIME, if you are not running them at that speed, it could be a possible culprit. And 4 sticks at 3600 is not easy or common specially if they are dual rank, too much on the CPUs IMC.

Good Luck

The Englishman
0 Likes

I added this in with the others suggestions as well. I think this may have been the culprit but who knows. Also I agree that 150-200 fps is a big over the top but I was having like 5 fps lows and like 40-60 fps on 2k. And to be fair 2k is not 1080 but I think it generally has been struggling and I think with the last suggestions you would say there was an improvement from where it was. Look above for upd.

0 Likes