Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Anonymous
Not applicable

5800x3d single rank vs dual rank ram

4 single rank sticks

2 dual rank sticks (should be same as 4 single ranks)

4 dual rank sticks

what is best of 3 options for 5800x3d?

0 Likes
10 Replies
Jumu
Adept III

Not a professional here, but i think the best would be two dual rank sticks. And it doesnt need to be very expensive 3600mhz cl 16 is optimal for me, good performance and not that expensive.

What did you choose?

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 4 single rank sticks 3200mhz cl16 but maybe I will upgrade to 3600mhz or more so I ask to be ready if I upgrade ram.

0 Likes
Jumu
Adept III

You're not losing much performance with that memory, i would not upgrade. Upgrade only if you need more ram, x3d is not that ram sensitive.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 32gb and that is fine for me.

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Very simple, ask the QVL listing for you Board

They normally mention if they tested and certified Speed, Dual rank, dimm population and timings.

The Englishman
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did use qvl when I was choosing ram.

I wonder about performance difference with 5800x3d and various ram speeds and number of sticks, impact of single and dual rank sticks on performance.

0 Likes

There is plenty of youtube creators uploading comparison footage.

But from I've seen, its kind of negligible differences and sometimes results not making sense between games. 

The Englishman
cpurpe91
Volunteer Moderator

Isn't it typically recommended that you only use RAM from a single kit? Example would be populating all dimm slots with two kits of dual rank causing issues?

I know from personal experience that I bought two of the exact same Corsair LPX kit and installed all four dimms from both kits and it caused blue screens all the time. 

I fixed this by returning both kits and buying a 4 dimm kit.

Ryzen 7 7700X, MSI MAG X670E Tomahawk Wifi, Corsair DOMINATOR® TITANIUM RGB 2x16GB DDR5 DRAM 6000MT/s CL30, AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT, Corsair HX Series™ HX1000, Corsair MP600 PRO NH 4TB
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did buy one 2x8gb kit and later got one more 2x8gb kit. xmp on and ram set to 3200mhz, I do not have problems when I play warzone 2 and other games.

I wonder what is difference between 4 single rank sticks and 2 dual rank sticks. 4 dual rank stick will create more pressure on memory controller but again I wonder what impact that have on performance.

0 Likes

Normally.. two kits won't cause you any trouble if you stick at advertised speed. You may on some instances dial back some timings to make them work.

- in Silicon lottery

According to some guys at ASUS, the order of IMC pressure would be:

SR < DR < DIMM Population

But I'll say it straight, this is a piece of info I got on the ASUS DIY Official facebook page, not sure if it holds up to be 100% true.

The Englishman