cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

mrsense
Adept II

Re: 5800x running extremely hot

During my normal usage, the temperature seems to peak up to 81C.  As long as I don’t “play” benchmarks I think it’s okay.

I reached out to the warranty support and got responses from a tech.  He asked me additional system information, screenshots and photos.

I’m waiting to hear back from him.

MiraEso
Adept I

Try to OC in BIOS...

If you can, try setting it to 4.5GHZ with a voltage of no more than 1.18-.1.20V ... That should be enough to keep it cool. It's really easy, if you don't know how to configure it in bios, let me know to help you better.

0 Likes
THICC_D0GG0
Adept II

maybe undervolt if you dont have a good cooler Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

It’s not the cooler issue.😤

THICC_D0GG0
Adept II

install hw monitor and you will scroll down to cpu temparatures then screenshot them for proof Smiley Very Happy

0 Likes
r0sh
Journeyman III

Chiming in here. I'm not seeing excessive heats (>85), but I do see high temperature spikes for nominal tasks.  Something as simple as loading up firefox would  cause the cpu to hit 75c, under 10% load.  Seems a bit odd.  I added a -.1 voltage multiplier and it seems to have helped a bit. 

Edit: I also noticed Ryzen Master seems to be reading temperatures 5~10C lower than other software.  If you are using Ryzen Master, double check another monitoring tool to see if they can replicate this.

Javijavv
Journeyman III

same issue here, temps in low to mid 80s on cinebench and with normal tasks I can hear my system spike. I use Ryzen Master and Cam from NZXT. Cam shows higher temps. Currently in a H510 Elite with the Z63 cooler. 

Ryzen master temps flux between 41-51 within a sec and continue to flux.

Cam shows CPU temps around 7* higher also in a flux. Default setting (as this is my first build and dont know how to make changes).

Hopefully its some kind of software update, I would hate to have to replace it? Only had it working for about a week.

0 Likes
mega_c
Journeyman III

Experiencing the same thing,

Setup:
NZXT Phantom 410 case with good airflow
Noctua D15 with single fan in middle
ASUS b550-E motherboard bios 1004, all settings at default
5800x hitting 80 degrees C after 40 mins of Prime95 Smallest run 16 workers.
Ambient temps around 18 to 19 Degrees C
I noticed the all core OC in this workload was around 4.35GHZ, i didnt take noticed of the voltage.

update BIOS to 1401
5800x hitting 90 degrees C after a few seconds of Prime95 Smallest run 16 workers.
Ambient temps around 18-19 degrees C
All core OC reported in Ryzen Master 4.45 - 4.5GHZ, and voltage around 1.36V to 1.37V.

edit: i have also re-seated the cooler and changed to MX-4 paste to see if temps got any lower but there have been no change in temperatures.

i can set a negative voltage offset of 0.0625V which results in 4-5 degrees lower Temps on Prime95 after a minute or two. but the allcore frequencies drop now to 4.35-4.4 GHZ on Ryzen Master (bios 1401)

Also noticed HW monitor reporting slightly different frequencies than  Ryzen Master.

0 Likes
ark4peace
Journeyman III

I upgraded from a 1700X to a 5800X and I'm expriencing the same thing. TDP is a little bit higher on the 5800X (and yes, I know that TDP isn't an exact measure of thermal or power or anything but within the same CPU manufacturer it should be a decent indication) but I went from max temps of about 60*C on load to upwards of 85*C once the system is saturated with heat. On idle, I when from about 35*C to 45*C. I run a custom water loop with both a 360MM and 240mm radiator, which is more than enough to handle a CPU and GPU (I use an RTX 2080). The other weird thing is that the temps spike to 70*C immediately once the CPU has *any* load, even the slightest. 

It really feels like it's an issue of poor contact with the heat spreader, to me. I just wanted to add to the mountain of evidence that seems to be piling up that *something* is wrong with these things.

0 Likes
ark4peace
Journeyman III

FYI, some more details:

No overclocking, the 1700X was stable for daily driving at 3.8GHz, at the temps mentioned above. Lian Li PC 011 dynamic Case, EK D5 pump, good air and liquid flow, push pull setup on the radiators.

0 Likes