cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

vahkish86
Adept I

5800x running extremely hot

So when I run cinebench or even the benchmark included with Ryzen master, my cpu boosts up to about 4.4 ghz, my core temp skyrockets to 85-89 degrees and sustains that temperature the entire time. My 3700x Never got that hot under the same cooling (be quiet! dark rock pro 4)

Is this because of the infancy of the bios? I'm underclocking my memory profile because i cant boot due to BSOD when using the default DOCP profile as well.

28 Replies
keytop
Journeyman III

Same, it was around 87 degrees when I ran cinebench, same temps when I ran Aida64 stress test (only a few minutes).
I also use be quiet! dark rock pro 4 for cooling

Case - be quiet! pure base 500dx

Ambient temps - 23 degrees

0 Likes

what kind of motherboard are you running?

0 Likes

Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro

The 3700X is a 65w TDP processor while the 5800X is a 105w TDP processor, so it's going to put a much larger strain on your cooling system. It is possible your motherboard's BIOS is using too aggressive a voltage, but the much higher TDP explains why it is getting to those temperatures.

Yes, i understand that by design, this chip will run hotter. however, the benchmarks ive been seeing dont even come close to 90c. 75-80 is what ive been seeing. Its possible that the bios needs to be updated to change how the voltage is handled or something.

0 Likes
exxt
Journeyman III

I have the same problem i use a kraken x62 i dont know what i cant do to fix this temp problems -.-

0 Likes
Earnhardt
Grandmaster

https://community.amd.com/thread/196209 

what case, ambient temps,cooler installed correct? Lots of variables that you haven't listed.

0 Likes
mrsense
Adept II

My 5800X is also having this same temperature issue when running benchmarks.

I've tried different coolers (280mm water and D15), different thermal pastes and multiple reseating of the heatsinks.

My motherboard is Gigabyte B550 Master with the latest bios installed.

Pretty much all review sites reports much lower temperature except Anadtech. 

Anandtech review also reported 90C.

"Also of note are the last two processors – both processors are reporting 4450 MHz all-core turbo frequency, however the 5800X is doing it with 14.55 W per core, but the 5600X can do it with only 10.20 W per core. In this instance, this seems that the voltage of the 5800X is a lot higher than the other processors, and this is forcing higher thermals – we were measuring 90ºC at full load after 30 seconds (compared to 73ºC on the 5600X or 64ºC on the 5950X), which might be stunting the frequency here."

Falloppium
Journeyman III

Until a better fix, you may try to run the processor in ECO mode: temps should drop, but unfortunately also clock frequency on all cores. If you only use it for gaming, you should still be able to achieve good frequency on single core.

I know this is not a real fix, but at least you don't risk to compromise your system, until a real fix is suggested. Could be the Bios of course, in which case setting it on the safe side temporarily will ultimately be beneficial.

There are many reports which suggest that 5800x runs at higher temperatures. If I'm not mistaken, 5800x die is a single CCD which consumes the same power as a the 2 CCDs on the 5900x; this makes it use more voltage and therefore power. 

If you know what you are doing, you could also trying to undervolt the CPU on max boost and play with negative offset, but this can be dangerous territory and it's entirely at your peril.

During my normal usage, the temperature seems to peak up to 81C.  As long as I don’t “play” benchmarks I think it’s okay.

I reached out to the warranty support and got responses from a tech.  He asked me additional system information, screenshots and photos.

I’m waiting to hear back from him.

Try to OC in BIOS...

If you can, try setting it to 4.5GHZ with a voltage of no more than 1.18-.1.20V ... That should be enough to keep it cool. It's really easy, if you don't know how to configure it in bios, let me know to help you better.

0 Likes
THICC_D0GG0
Adept II

maybe undervolt if you dont have a good cooler :smileytongue: :smileytongue: :smileytongue: :smileytongue: :smileytongue:

0 Likes

It’s not the cooler issue.😤

install hw monitor and you will scroll down to cpu temparatures then screenshot them for proof :smileyvery-happy:

0 Likes

Chiming in here. I'm not seeing excessive heats (>85), but I do see high temperature spikes for nominal tasks.  Something as simple as loading up firefox would  cause the cpu to hit 75c, under 10% load.  Seems a bit odd.  I added a -.1 voltage multiplier and it seems to have helped a bit. 

Edit: I also noticed Ryzen Master seems to be reading temperatures 5~10C lower than other software.  If you are using Ryzen Master, double check another monitoring tool to see if they can replicate this.

same issue here, temps in low to mid 80s on cinebench and with normal tasks I can hear my system spike. I use Ryzen Master and Cam from NZXT. Cam shows higher temps. Currently in a H510 Elite with the Z63 cooler. 

Ryzen master temps flux between 41-51 within a sec and continue to flux.

Cam shows CPU temps around 7* higher also in a flux. Default setting (as this is my first build and dont know how to make changes).

Hopefully its some kind of software update, I would hate to have to replace it? Only had it working for about a week.

0 Likes

Experiencing the same thing,

Setup:
NZXT Phantom 410 case with good airflow
Noctua D15 with single fan in middle
ASUS b550-E motherboard bios 1004, all settings at default
5800x hitting 80 degrees C after 40 mins of Prime95 Smallest run 16 workers.
Ambient temps around 18 to 19 Degrees C
I noticed the all core OC in this workload was around 4.35GHZ, i didnt take noticed of the voltage.

update BIOS to 1401
5800x hitting 90 degrees C after a few seconds of Prime95 Smallest run 16 workers.
Ambient temps around 18-19 degrees C
All core OC reported in Ryzen Master 4.45 - 4.5GHZ, and voltage around 1.36V to 1.37V.

edit: i have also re-seated the cooler and changed to MX-4 paste to see if temps got any lower but there have been no change in temperatures.

i can set a negative voltage offset of 0.0625V which results in 4-5 degrees lower Temps on Prime95 after a minute or two. but the allcore frequencies drop now to 4.35-4.4 GHZ on Ryzen Master (bios 1401)

Also noticed HW monitor reporting slightly different frequencies than  Ryzen Master.

0 Likes

I upgraded from a 1700X to a 5800X and I'm expriencing the same thing. TDP is a little bit higher on the 5800X (and yes, I know that TDP isn't an exact measure of thermal or power or anything but within the same CPU manufacturer it should be a decent indication) but I went from max temps of about 60*C on load to upwards of 85*C once the system is saturated with heat. On idle, I when from about 35*C to 45*C. I run a custom water loop with both a 360MM and 240mm radiator, which is more than enough to handle a CPU and GPU (I use an RTX 2080). The other weird thing is that the temps spike to 70*C immediately once the CPU has *any* load, even the slightest. 

It really feels like it's an issue of poor contact with the heat spreader, to me. I just wanted to add to the mountain of evidence that seems to be piling up that *something* is wrong with these things.

0 Likes

FYI, some more details:

No overclocking, the 1700X was stable for daily driving at 3.8GHz, at the temps mentioned above. Lian Li PC 011 dynamic Case, EK D5 pump, good air and liquid flow, push pull setup on the radiators.

0 Likes

I'm glad I read this. I'm using x570 aorus ultra with arctic liquid freezer 360 (thermal grizzly paste) and I was getting 85ish stock in R23 multi. I've tried everything to get it down, finally landed on curve optimizer (-5 on best two and -15 on the rest). Brought me down about 8C. 

But now that I'm checking in all apps, Ryzen Master is consistently 7-10C lower that HW Info, CAM, Riva Tuner and CoreTemp. I guess they just aren't monitoring correctly yet...

0 Likes

Thank u very much man for the -.1 tip !  Using a be quiet! Pure Loop 360 with an ASUS TUF Gaming B550-Plus (Wi-Fi) (2006 BIOS) my Ryzen 5 5800X I had reach 82C (Package) in CB R23 at first pass.  With your advice it dropped to 60C (CPU) / 71C (Package) and I was able to set the rad fans no more than 1000 rpm.  Awesome.

0 Likes
_Cookies_
Journeyman III

Using Be Quite 280mm AIO water cooling and hover around 78c using Cinebench R20 so it gets hot but 5Ghz max is exciting to see. Check to see of PBO is on. Turn PBO off and see what your temps look like.

0 Likes

as Igor showed today - the heatspreaders arent that plane as they used to be

grind off heatspreader plane with correct sandpaper and polish it off ;)

use a GOOD Thermalpaste like ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut
use a good Cooler (minimum is Thermalright Macho 120 Rev.B; better a Thermalright SilverArrow-Extreme; or 360er AiO)

PC: R7 2700X @PBO + RX 580 4G (1500MHz/2000MHz CL16) + 32G DDR4-3200CL14 + 144hz 1ms FS P + 75hz 1ms FS
Laptop: R5 2500U @30W + RX 560X (1400MHz/1500MHz) + 16G DDR4-2400CL16 + 120Hz 3ms FS
0 Likes
xesap58662
Adept II

Thats fine

Are you going to be running cinnebench all day everyday?

I'm guessing no

0 Likes

Turn off PBO in the bios. It seems to push the core voltages really high and therefore temps. Then if you want do an all core overclock go for it. Mine is now running all benchmarks much faster at lower core voltages and temps. Have it at 4.7, 1.294v on all cores (not set just using auto). Cinebench r20 temp max 75 using a small aio 120 cooler. Scores 6229 and 605.  Was 85+ degrees using defaults.

I have Gigabyte B550 Aorus Master with F11n bios.  It seems the PBO setting doesn't affect 5800X.  5800X behaves as if PBO is on even though it's off in the bios.  I've tested the PBO setting with a borrowed 5950X.  I could see the maximum boost clock and temperature differences between PBO on and off.

Could you open hwinfo and make full load test with pbo on and off and show hwinfo values? E.g. there is Core 0 Power to Core 8 Power, etc. it would clarify as how CPU is working.

0 Likes
Bobeluch99
Journeyman III

0 Likes