cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

Chillisteak
Adept I

5700x3d temps?

So I changed my CPU today from a 3600x to a 5700x3D.

I proceeded to jump on a game iRacing to be exact to see how it affected things compared to the previous CPU and immediately noticed it was running at a lower clock speed (2.7/2.9ghz) when the base clock sits at 3.2ghz.

I Checked the hardware info and it was 90c so shut the game down to troubleshoot.

Before installing the new CPU I made sure the BIOS was up to date, cleared the CMOS and updated all drivers relating to the motherboard.

I've since removed the cooler to check the thermal paste, all seemed ok so I re-applied and refitted the cooler.
I've done this twice now and both times appeared to be fine with a nice even spread across cooler head and the top of the chip so I'm confident I'm not messing that up.

Temps still quickly climb to 90c and idle at around 69c/70c.
All fans are running and from what I can tell the pump is running on the AIO cooler (Ai Suite and BIOS all show RPM data for the pump)

I'm waiting on more thermal paste but the next step is to refit the 3600x and check the temps on that, as that will eliminate the possibility of it being the cooler?

Is there anything else I can try while I wait for the thermal paste?
It would be extremely unlucky if the cooler died at the exact same time I changed CPU (don't think that's the case given all sensors say it's running.)

So I'm hoping to find another solution but my knowledge base is limited so looking for hive mind help

0 Likes
15 Replies
Chillisteak
Adept I

I've discovered a post that states running at 95c is what the chips are designed to do but if that's the case why am I seeing lower clock speeds?  

Only thing I can find directly from AMD is regarding 7 series, is 5700x3d a 7 series or 5? because box has a 7 but states 5000 series haha

0 Likes

3600X is a six core CPU, the 5700X3D is an eight core CPU plus it has extra vCache, it will run warmer than your original processor.

That said, a 5700X3D should not idle at 70°C - there is something wrong with your cooler. You mention it's an AIO but you don't state what make/model. Perhaps it is simply inadequate for the job, or there could be an issue with the pump, fans or coolant.

To @misterj's point, what motherboard do you have, did you verify it supports the 5700X3D and what minimum BIOS version is required?

Also, some AMD processors are designed to run at 95°C however the X3D chips max is 90°C due to the vCache, which is less resilient to heat and voltage.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

If memory serves correctly the cooler is an MSI Mag core 360.

I'd have thought it more than capable with its 360mm rad but I could be wrong ? 

Yes I confirmed the board supported the CPU before I purchased the CPU and then upgraded the BIOS to the newest version (which I assumed was better than just installing the minimum version required) 

But for the record, the board is an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus, please feel free to check and confirm if I messed up there but I'm pretty sure I'm right and it does support the CPU. 

What would you expect the 5700X3D to idle at? 50? 60? 

0 Likes

All info to me would suggest the pump is running, BIOS and AI Suite both show the pump RPM fluctuating slightly. 

I can also feel a temp difference on the tubes one is warm and the other well I'd say was room temp.

Also just got back to my PC after leaving it idling while I cook and eat food so roughly an hour. 

Hardware info shows an average core temp of 57c so that's with no tasks being performed just Chrome left open with a few tabs running.  So it does idle a little lower than the 70c I mentioned earlier but a constant 90c would still seem incredibly high temp to game with? 

But if it is ok to run at 90c it wouldn't explain the lower than base core speeds? 

0 Likes

57°C idle still seems high. And it's not "ok" at 90°C that's the MAX temp, ie. when it will start throttling.

Verify what motherboard header the pump and fans are connected to, and what ramp each is set for. (silent, normal, full, manual etc.) Most motherboards will have a utility that can test each header and determine what RPM range they support. Also if any are connected to SysFan headers make sure they are set to monitor the CPU temperature, not the system temperature.

By the time the CPU hits 80°C the AIO pump and fans should all be close to 100% speed.

0 Likes

Yeah fan curve is max at 75C, I'll look into that sysfan stuff, this is been a day of learning because until now I've never had an issue like this lol

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Chillisteak, your maximum temperature is 90C. Did you install a fresh copy of Windows? If not this may explain the lower clocks because it does not really know what CPU you have. You should do this including a format of your C disk. What are you using to measure temperature? You should use only Ryzen Master (RM) and remove any other applications for this. Please post a screenshot of RM running Cinebench Multicore. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hey there,

No, I didn't install a fresh copy of Windows and I was using HardwareInfo for the temps as Ryzen Master provided the message "Ryzen Master does not support current processor"

But I'll get on the case with a fresh install of Windows shortly.

You say the Maximum temp is 90c? surely it's not a good idea to run at that constant mind?
Even idle temps are higher than I'd have expected so is this chip just one that likes to run hot? Because my 3700x never got close to these temps so bit concerned. 

Also thanks for the reply

0 Likes

I got Ryzen Master running, and temps are reading the same as HardwareInfo so didn't make any difference there. 

Going to go backup everything and install a fresh version of windows, but not convinced that's the issue as those temps seem incredibly high. 

0 Likes

I wouldn't expect an OS reinstall to correct a temperature problem.

0 Likes

Thanks, Chillisteak. I do not expect new OS to correct the temperature problem but address the performance problem. When I see your RM screenshot running Cinebench, I should be able to comment on the temperature problem. I have always run my pump and all fans on 12 Volts from the power supply and not depend on the auto fan speed control. What RPMs are your pump and fans turning? AMD specifies the maximum temperature as 90C and I would expect you to be able run close to this temperature all day. Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Hope that's the screenshot you were looking for that's literally a few seconds into the multicore test.
As for what RPM fans are running at CPU fans are at 1000RPM and the Pump is at 3989 slight movement up and down on that one.

This is with a fresh install of Windows too, I can also see that peak CPU speed drops as soon as it hits 90c so it's throttling so maximum temp or not I can't run at that temp for gaming plus I wouldn't want to as the fans get so loud.
Screenshot (6).png

0 Likes

If this is the same AIO in this test it performed similar to an Artic Liquid Freezer II which is impressive. In the review they state the max pump speed is 3000rpm and the fans are 1800rpm, which doesn't match what you report.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6o-IIIg7xw

Do you have the radiator front or top mounted? If on the front, are the tubes at the top or bottom, and is the pump height above or below the height of the top of the rad?

Do you hear any gurgling, trickling or other noises from the pump?

0 Likes

Chillisteak, the yellow meter says throttling is beginning, otherwise all looks good. You have plenty of room for more performance with lower CPU temperature. What RPMs are the pump fans turning? At least as a test, please place these fans on 12 Volts and see if the temperatures come down. My way of dealing with noisy is to buy large slow but efficient fans, maybe a little late for you. What is your memory? Thanks and enjoy, John.

0 Likes
Chillisteak
Adept I

Firstly thanks for all your replies the help was appreciated, I've since stopped looking for a solution.

I changed my CPU back to one I knew worked fine in the system my 3700x and what do you know the temps skyrocketed immediately.

So I ordered a new cooler which will be delivered tomorrow, made this CPU upgrade a tad more expensive than planned but hopefully, then I discovered this post which sounds a lot like the issue I 'm having...

liquid-cooler-swap-application 

Basically, it states there's a known issue where sediment builds up inside and creates a blockage I guess that when I lay the system down flat to change the CPU it caused the sediment to move and block the system. 

So I've checked the serial number and applied for a replacement.

But thanks again folks the help was appreciated.