cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

T0oKEN
Journeyman III

5600x Overheating even with new cooler

Hello, I tried every possible solution (listed in bottom) but it just doesn't work (unless I disable PBO which I don't want I get 75 Celsius at 3.7GHz). I though it is cooler problem so I bought Be quiet! DARK ROCK SLIM but the results disappointed me. I still got 95 degree Celsius (it even hit 97) after 45 min stress test with maximum frequency of 4.3GHz and avarage about 4.1GHz. Is it that the cooler isn't enough for the CPU (which I read it should be fine) or could it be CPU/MB issue? The issues were same with new PC and ASUS support said that the temperatures are normal...

Specs:

• The PC is Asus ROG Strix G10Dk with originally GTX 1660 Super 5600x (only motherboard and cpu is same)
  • The new GPU is Sapphire Pulse 7800XT
  • Ram: Kingston FURY 32GB 3200MHz
  • PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-850
  • SSD: Samsung 990 EVO 2TB
  • Backfan: Noctua NF-B9

I tried:

• Re-seating CPU with cooler to make sure I done it correctly
  • Made sure there are no sticker left on cooler
  • Made sure that there is enough thermal paste
  • Double checked after every mounting to make sure it is tightened enough
  • Tried using 2 different thermal pastes (1st was Arctic MX-4 then I tried Arctic MX-6 and lastly the one included with the cooler)
  • Made sure the fan is correct way
0 Likes
16 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

T0oKEN, what are you using to measure temperature (screenshot please)? In general re-pasting seldom helps and exposes possible drastic failures like processor stuck to cold plate. John.

HWmonitor + OCCT for benchmark, AMD adrenaline have same reports so I will only send you from these two

OCCT-24621-090008.pngOCCT-24621-085927.pngtemps.png

0 Likes

Thanks, T0oKEN, does Adrenalin ever report 95.8C? I have always suspected that AMD Ryzen Master (RM) knows something the rest of us do not. The maximum temperature (TjMax) is 95C. HWm does not tell us what Core temperature is but then I do not use it since it occasional reports absurd temperatures. If you ever use Windows, please post a screenshot of RM running Cinebench R24 Multicore. John.

0 Likes

1. Adrenalin reports 95C
  2. Multicore score is 626 pts and just in case single core 94 pts
0 Likes
FunkZ
Paragon

@T0oKEN is this a new build or existing that temperature changed?

My son's 5600 was recently indicating 95°C via CoreTemp, whereas previously it ran around 75°C. Must have been a chipset or Windows update, cause after updating CoreTemp to latest version it was back to reporting normal temp.

Also, you mention using PBO, assuming for higher boost? Do you also have Curve Optimizer enabled? Our 5600 runs stable at -30 CO and runs a lot cooler as a result.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

I tried Curve Optimizer running stable at -20 but the temps are still hitting 95 degree Celsius but after longer period of time (from basically instantly to one minute). I can try running up linux and do benchmark here to see any difference.

Edit: forgot to mention that I got higher boost from 4.1GHz to 4.4GHz

2nd edit: haven't answered the first question so yes, it was the same so that why I bought better cooler because the original one in PC was I think stock AMD

0 Likes

Be quiet! DARK ROCK SLIM is probably an adequate cooler for stock frequencies but when overclocking better cooling will help.

My son's 5600 overclocked gets toasty and that's even with a 240mm AIO.

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
0 Likes

OK so i tried stress test on Linux mint and got 88 Celsius at 4.4GHz. Still weirdly high but it's better.

0 Likes

FunkZ, CoreTemp along with most other non-AMD utilities often report erroneous temperatures. I use AIDA64 which is accurate but a paid application so I do not usually recommend it. I do not know where/when HWmonitor gets its maximum temperatures but I have always suspected it. Oh well, John.

0 Likes

The max temperatures are the highest temperature it hits

0 Likes

Of course, but perhaps RM knows to ignore erroneous values. Does one sample of high temperature in an hour mean the processor is running at that temperature? You are free to use any utility you choose. Enjoy.

0 Likes

For troubleshooting you should reset cmos, forget about pbo/cpb for the moment.

The Voltages, Powers readouts are too high. Is windows power plan on balanced?

Here's mine using cpu-z stress (bios changes - spread spectrum disabled, cool & quiet disabled, xmp profile on, the rest untouched),

hwm volts.png

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

With cmos restarted, it does disable PBO and D.O.C.P which runs under 80C. I'm currently trying to understand where is problem with it enabled since the cooler should be enough to cool it. You lose on performance with it disabled.

0 Likes

And what are the Voltages, Power readouts with that? Post an image.

What motherboard model is used in that prebuilt pc, and are you using any 3rd party, or asus oc  tweaking software?

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I already posted the image. The motherboard is PRIME B550M-K. I tried both using only bios and then tried using on an original prebuild ASUS Armoury Crate and on upgraded PC AMD Adrenalin and AMD Ryzen Master. All results are same.

cpu.png

0 Likes

Oh, i thought that image was from with pbo, cpb enabled, not baseline without them in use for comparison.

0 Likes