JustCapable
Adept I

5600G reaches 95 degrees in Cinebench R23 with Wraith Stealth Cooler

Hello everybody, I just bought a new PC, Full Specs:

R5 5600G
TeamGroup Vulcan Z 3200Mhz(8GBx2)
MSI B450M Pro-VDH Max
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB
Ant Esports VS400L PSU(with one Molex fan preinstalled above I/O shields)
Ant Esports ICE-130AG

I ran the C23 before everything, have not played any games yet

JustCapable_0-1687892679891.png

And I was shocked, watched a YouTube video and their max temp went 83 while mine was reaching 95 in about a minute!

So I opened the case and removed the cooler, and shockingly the CPU was not there when I removed the Wraith Cooler, but it was stuck/ got glued to the heatsink with thermal paste, which I somehow managed to remove(this was so much work, took 3 hours to remove it) using hair dryers and a screwdriver, this was an experience somehow, and now I know that you don't have to pull the CPU cooler straight up in AM4 sockets, but slightly rotate it so that the thermal compound gets weekend.

Coming back from that nightmare,  I applied a thermal paste that I had from a time ago and everything came back how it was!

Now, I left the PC unused for around 25 minutes and here is the graph:(from MSI AfterBurner)

JustCapable_1-1687894978710.png

The weather here at the time of these screenshots was around 25-28 degrees, I got a good airflow in my room also, have no idea how to measure the room's temperature.

I have also tried removing the cabinet's both front and back plate cover, which seemed to have no effect at all.
So I think the airflow in the Cabinet is also good!

Also, I am running the XMP 1 profile for the RAM and No OC for any of the components, and to tell you even more, the UMA Buffer size/VRAM is set to 2GB for the Vega 7!
I set the fan to run at its Full Speed too!

Please suggest what should I do!

Thank you very much for your valuable time, appreciate it!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Upgrade to a more powerful 3rd Party CPU Cooler than the AMD Wraith Stealth, which is the weakest of the Wraith brand CPU Coolers.

I would upgrade to a CPU Cooler with at least 150 Watt rated TDP to prevent it from overheating while under heavy loads or Stress tests.

Your processor's Maximum Operating Temperature is 95c. Once it starts to reach or pass 95c the processor will automatically start to slow down or throttle.

NOTE The AMD Wraith Stealth is fine for just regular computer use but if running apps that puts a heavy load on the processor it will run hot and close to its Maximum Operating Temperature.

View solution in original post

15 Replies

Upgrade to a more powerful 3rd Party CPU Cooler than the AMD Wraith Stealth, which is the weakest of the Wraith brand CPU Coolers.

I would upgrade to a CPU Cooler with at least 150 Watt rated TDP to prevent it from overheating while under heavy loads or Stress tests.

Your processor's Maximum Operating Temperature is 95c. Once it starts to reach or pass 95c the processor will automatically start to slow down or throttle.

NOTE The AMD Wraith Stealth is fine for just regular computer use but if running apps that puts a heavy load on the processor it will run hot and close to its Maximum Operating Temperature.

That would only be possible in future, as I have already spend my money in buying the new components, but this seems weird, I have seen many people's video and this is not supposed to happen!

Any ideas what is causing this?

Also don't you think 40 degree is a little much while thers nothing running on it?

0 Likes

CPU temperatures depends on many factors including the temperature of your room. If your room temperature is in the mid 80's F. or higher your PC will run hotter than if your room temperature was around 80 F.

You can try disabling some BIOS Settings that directly affects your processor like PBO (AMD"S safe way to overclock your processor).

If your Temperature is a little bit high during idle check to see if you have any Background applications running or doing a scan that might be putting a load on the processor.

Use Ryzen Master to get Temperatures and other data about your processor and Motherboard.

NOTE: There are many very good Air CPU Coolers rated at 150 Watts or more for less than $40.00 US Dollars.

PCPARTPICKER gives you a huge lists of both Air and AIO Liquid CPU Coolers compatible with the 5600G: https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu-cooler/?compatible_with=sYmmP6

Here are some examples from the above link. I personally am using the CoolerMaster Hyper212 EVO CPU Cooler to keep my 3700X (TDP 65 watts) from going above 60c under normal use and heavy loads.

Screenshot 2023-06-28 083703.png

0 Likes

Will the cooler fit in my case?
Also, I will do a completely idle, closing even the background apps, but only be leaving MSI Afterburner and Ryzen Master for the graphs!

0 Likes

That is something you will need to find out yourself since you have the Make & Model of your PC case.

You will need to find out the dimensions of the inside of your PC case and compare it to the dimensions of the CPU Cooler to see if it will fit or not.

The previous link to PCPARTPICKER you can see if your Make & Model of your PC case is listed than click on CPU Cooler compatible list to see which will fit in with your PC Case.

0 Likes

I found out something: https://community.amd.com/t5/pc-building/r23-test-using-ryzen-5-5600g-cpu-temp-hit-above-95-celcius/...
And, you are there too, lol!

Anyways I think I should upgrade to a better cooler, which is tough for me, but still, for the sake of the pc!
Also, I am a bit worried, will it be good to use the PC for the rest of the days until the new Cooler arrives?

0 Likes

Listen if it is above your budget to replace the CPU Cooler than just wait until you have the finances to replace it.

As long as your Processor's temperature doesn't go above 95c you are fine.

Your AMD Processor has been engineered to run normally UP TO 95c without damage to the CPU.

Generally the cooler your processor runs the better it is for the CPU.

The only time the CPU might get damaged is if you run the CPU above 95c for a very long time. This will eventually shorten your CPU lifetime or possibly damage it or it surrounding hardware.

So I wouldn't worry about replacing the Wraith Stealth so quickly as long as the CPU Temperature is below 95c when you use the computer.

0 Likes

First of all, thank you so much for your humble suggestion, but I have a few questions.

First, since the TDP is 95, I don't think the processor can go above that, I think that it maybe lowers the clock in order not to exceed the mark.

Second, I will be editing videos on this machine tomorrow for a regular client which won't be much heavy but let's see!
As of today, I did the render and it consumed 100% utilization with 95C but since it was done within a minute, the temperature came back to 50s.

And, yes I do video editing and stuff, but I also plan to stream some games and record them, don't worry about quality issues, I chose 5600G after a big research!

So how much would be too much, in order to not shorten the lifespan of this brand new chip?

Again here are the graphs of the PC not being used which eventually led to its sleep:

JustCapable_0-1687982385945.jpeg
The green marker is when the PC woke!

I even turned the internet off so that nothing disturbs it, and there were no programs other than Afterburner and Ryzen Master, the control panel is the ethernet properties window by the way!

Now, I went to the BIOS and the PBO was set to Auto, I disabled it, but no changes.
The Cinebench test after the PBO set to Disabled:

Annotation 2023-06-29 010925.png

0 Likes

"First, since the TDP is 95" I believe you meant Maximum Operating Temperature and not TDP.  Your processor's TDP rating is 65 Watts.

What the Maximum Operating Temperature at 95c means once the CPU Temperature reaches 95c or surpasses it, the CPU will automatically start to slow down or throttle to keep the CPU temperature at 95c or lower. If the Temperature keep rising past 95c it will eventually reach its critical shut down temperature to prevent damage to the processor from overheating.

Video Rendering usually is CPU intensive. If you are planning on using your PC for that then you would probably need to upgrade the CPU Cooler, possibly with a Push-Pull Configuration (2 fans attached) or a AIO Liquid CPU Cooler.

"Is video editing CPU or GPU intensive?

Most video editing software mainly relies on the CPU, and only uses your GPU for specific purposes. Those specific purposes include: GPU-accelerated presets (Fast Blur in/out, Mosaic in/out, etc.)Apr 14, 2023"

Your Ryzen Master is showing that your PC is throttle due to the CPU reaching it maximum temperature.

Any RED ICONS at the top of Ryzen Master indicates either the CPU or Motherboard is throttling the processor.

IF there was no difference in temperature then reset in BIOS Settings PBO back to "Auto" so the processor will overclock when it is needed only and not all the time to get better performance.

The Wraith Stealth will get very hot and possibly overheat as shown in your Ryzen Master while being Stress tested. With a more powerful CPU Cooler that wouldn't happen and temperatures would stay below 95c depending on the CPU Cooler you install.

0 Likes

Sorry, I meant to write tjMax, not TDP, my bad I got confused!

Now, talking about the regular client's video edit, I kept the MSI After Burner open:

JustCapable_1-1688024600968.jpeg

The green marker is when I rendered the video!
The timeline is there for reference also! (you might need somewhat Premiere Pro knowledge to understand!)

Also, it looks like I would have to upgrade my cooler anyways!

I just went to the website I prefer and looks like I found the best one:

JustCapable_0-1688024027636.png

This mate is having the same problem and the same room conditions also!

So, should I get the Cooler Master Hyper 212 ARGB, would you suggest it?

Yes it is slightly stronger than a normal CoolerMaster Hyper 212 model at a TDP rating of 160 watts plus you can add a second fan if the processor still get a little warmer than you like.

Here is Coolermaster CPU Cooler TDP Chart: https://landing.coolermaster.com/faq/cooler-tdp-and-socket-compatibility-list/

Screenshot 2023-06-29 090546.png

Just make sure it isn't too large to fit inside your PC case. But it is a good choice even though it is slightly more expensive than the regular Hyper212 CPU Coolers.

If you have a Tower it should fit without any problem. If you have a Mid-Tower you will need to find the internal dimensions (height from CPU lid to PC Cover) and width (to determine if it will obstruct any of your DIMM Slots).

At Amazon.com it cost around $65.00 US Dollars.

NOTE: I am a little bias towards CoolerMaster CPU Coolers since I purchase my Hyper 212 EVO and have had excellent results with both my FX8350 (TDP= 125 Watts) and R7-3700X (TDP=65 Watts).

0 Likes

I will check the dimensions and confirm you!
By the way, I have 400 Watts of Power Supply, will that be sufficient to handle the Cooler?

0 Likes

The only wattage the CPU Cooler uses are its Fans.

according to CoolerMaster specs on the CPU Cooler fans it draws a Maximum 1.8 watts.

Caution if you should want to add a GPU Card you will need to upgrade your PSU to at least a 850 Watt PSU in the future.

According to a CPU/GPU - PSU website you will need a Minimum PSU of 300 Watts to run your Ryzen 5600G so 400 watt PSU is fine for your current needs.

0 Likes

Great then, I will be upgrading the cooler soon!
Also, it will fit, I measured the dimensions!

You have been a great person, thanks!

Post back the results. It should be running much cooler than the Wraith Stealth.

Note: you can use your Wraith Stealth as a backup or in case you build another PC.

Take care.

0 Likes