cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

thatonenight00
Journeyman III

3960x sudden repeated restarts, now won't post

Thursday while working, my computer (my source of income... ugh) began randomly restarting. I wasn't able to dig into the problem too much at that point because it would restart while trying to look for errors in log files, or run chkdsk, sfc /scannow, etc. So sadly I don't have much info.

At this point I can hardly get it to boot. I've been able to access Bios a few times, and gotten to a cmd prompt a few times. I got chkdsk to complete one time and it didn't discover anything notable, Chkdsk /r tells me it can't run because the volume is write protected, sfc /scannow tells me "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the operation. A few times I've made it to windows log in it's given me a BSOD with "Critical Process Died". I tried system restore and rolling back updates, but none of those helped.  I flashed Bios, and that didn't help either.

Asus Q-leds for DRAM and CPU are both on when it won't boot.  No power to CPU fan socket (fan itself tests fine).

The PSU voltages read normal with a multimeter.   I tried booting with the 4 RAM sticks individually and there was no change.

So...   I'm thinking it's the CPU or MoBo at this point.  Is there anything I can do to determine for sure what the problem is?  The CPU was VERY expensive, I pray it is not the issue.  My work was already backed up, and this problem has already been detrimental to my business!  Sorry if this post/info is a mess, I'm a bit of a mess right now myself...  ugh.

Build info-
AMD 3960x CPU
Asus Prime TRX40-Pro MoBo
EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3
G.Skill TridentZ DDR4 4x32gb RAM
EVGA SuperNova 1300 G2 PSU

TL:DR- Computer suddenly began restarting randomly.  Now it won't post.  Asus MoBo Q-leds for DRAM and CPU are both on.

0 Likes
2 Replies

May be a failing hard drive (recently rma'd a year old nvme), chkdsk won't show it.

Suppose you tried the usual sfc & dism, or your security protection is overdone?

Have you tried a repair install of OS? 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, NM790 2TB, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

I can't even get it to Bios at this point!  I was able to run chkddisk from a cmd prompt a few days ago, but it didn't return any problems.  I used a simple PSU tester and all the voltages are normal.

At this point I can't make it to Bios.  The MoBo DRAM light is on, but I just tried different RAM and it's still giving me the same results.  I even tried a different (but same part number) MoBo yesterday!  Still the same results. 

It won't boot to any drive, won't make it to Bios, nothing.  The only thing I haven't been able to test or switch out is the CPU, but the MoBo is only showing the RAM light right now.  Should I send the CPU in to AMD.  I have no idea what to do at this point...  It's so frustrating after spending so much to build this thing, and having it work flawlessly until now.

0 Likes