cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Processors

kdschlosser
Adept I

3955WX overheating problems

I have a Supermicro Workstation/Server that I use as my daily driver and the machine keeps on overheating after only a few minutes at high CPU load. Here is a link to the machine.

https://www.supermicro.com/en/Aplus/system/Tower/5014/AS-5014A-TT.cfm

I have contacted Supermicro about the problem and they offer no solution to the problem. There are no obstructions to the heat sink or fans and I have set the fans to run at the highest speed. I have removed the heat sink and replaced the thermal compound with Arctic Silver and that has helped some. I am able to run a minute or 2 longer at full load before it overheats but it still does it. I am unsure how to correct this issue. Supermicro has checked all of the voltages and they said that the voltages are all within they normal range. The ambient temps where the computer is located is 68°F so that shouldn't be a cause of the problem.

I only get maybe 5-8 minutes at most at high CPU loads before it overheats. Idle temp is 54°C-55°C and there is nothing I am able to do to get that number lower. I have a a single Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000 graphics processor in it. Wire management is fine. There is a single 2TB HDD in one of the hot swap bays and there are 2 NVMe SSD's installed onto the motherboard. 2000 watt power supply and I know I am not pushing that hard so I imagine it's not getting all that hot. Idle case temps are 32°C

Any suggestions would be helpful

6 Replies
Angeluk
Challenger

What do you do with the machine? What is your cooling solution?

0 Likes

Did you get the Microcenter Optional High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler or did you install your own CPU Cooler?

System Cooling

Water Cooling
  • Optional high-performance closed-loop water cooling for CPU
Fans
  • 1x 12cm rear exhaust fan
  • 2x 12cm front cooling fans
  • 3x 12cm top cooling fans (optional)

If you installed your own CPU Cooler it is obvious that it isn't strong enough to keep your processor from overheating.

You need a very strong AIO CPU Cooler to prevent your processor from overheating.

Your Processor is rated at a TDP 280 Watts which means you need a CPU Cooler rated at least 350 Watts or higher for your ThreadRipper.

If you purchased Microcenter Option AIO Custom CPU Cooler then I suggest you open a Warranty Ticket to have the CPU Cooler or your PC to be RMAed to be checked.

Here is AMD Recommended ThreadRipper CPU Coolers: https://www.amd.com/en/thermal-solutions-threadripper

0 Likes
kdschlosser
Adept I

what is this whole thing with MicroCenter and thinking I bought a CPU cooler from them?

I bought a Supermicro Server and it's overheating. I have not been able to locate any reports of others having the same problem with this server or even with this specific processor.

This is a Server and as such it has no accommodations for things like an AIO. If I was to buy a new case for the purpose of adding liquid cooling I would do immersion cooling and skip the whole AIO step as it is overly complex, prone to failure and if doing a custom loop prone to leaking.....  With an immersion  setup I could plumb the thing so the radiator exhausts the heat into my basement and I wouldn't have to hear any fans either. I have zero experience with doing something like this and to experiment using a 6,000 dollar machine is not something I  want to do.

The only AIO I have used only lasted a tad over a year and the pump failed and the thing was twice as loud as an air cooler and it only cooled the processor by maybe 5°C more than the air cooled.

What I am doing when this happens could be any number of things. From compiling to doing heavy data crunching. anything that uses the majority of the processor for more than 5 minutes. It only takes about 5-8 minutes before the overheating happens. If I say limit the number of cores in use when I compile from 16 down to 10 the temps are about 83°C.

The current cooler being used is the one that came with the system. It is made by Supermicro and it has full contact with the entire processor. I buttered the thermal compound nice and thin. The heat sink is tightened down to the torque specs given to me by Supermicro.

I have another Server that is a 6 core machine and that one has been running with an up time of close to 100% for the last 10 years. I have a Noctua cooler on that machine. However That cooler requires a 4U chassis. I am limited in height due to the 3U chassis. Also reading about different coolers and reviews it's a mixed bag. Even with the Noctua cooler for this socket.

Here is a screen shot of my current system temps. This is at idle. Ignore the FAN3 being red, that is because there is no fan plugged into it.

kdschlosser_1-1697346622107.png

0 Likes

According to the link you posted it comes with a Close looped AIO CPU Cooler:

Screenshot 2023-10-15 084438.png

This seems to be a strong enough AIO to keep your processor from overheating under any circumstances.

Therefore either something is not working correctly with the AIO or it isn't installed correctly or it is defective.

Either way I would open a Warranty ticket with SuperMicro and let them check your PC out.

Don't remember you posting a link to the PC at Supermicro so needed to google your PC and found the advertisement from Supermicro.

The Advertisement mentioned that the AIO CPU Cooler was optional which is why I posted that information,.

0 Likes
DipakJ27
Adept III

Here are a few more things you can try:

1. Check your BIOS settings. 
  2. Make sure that your CPU fan and case fans are set to run at full speed.
  3. You may also want to try disabling any overclocking settings or power saving features.
  4. Upgrade your CPU cooler. 
  5. The stock CPU cooler that comes with the AS-5014A-TT may not be enough to keep your 3955WX cool under heavy load.
  6. Consider upgrading to a third-party CPU cooler, such as a Noctua NH-D15 or a Corsair H150i Elite Capellix.
  7. Add more case fans.
  8. The AS-5014A-TT comes with three pre-installed case fans, but you may want to add more to improve airflow.
  9. Consider adding two or three additional 120mm fans to the front and top of the case.
  10. Improve your airflow. 
  11. Make sure that there are no obstructions to the airflow inside your case.
  12. Make sure that the case fans are properly oriented and that the cables are managed neatly.
  13. You may also want to consider using dust filters to keep your case clean.

If you've tried all of the above and you're still having overheating problems, then you may need to contact Supermicro again and ask for a replacement motherboard or CPU.

I hope these suggestions help you to resolve your overheating problems.

Dipakjadhav
0 Likes
kdschlosser
Adept I

Mine has a different case. For all intents and purposes it's the same exact machine. My case doesn't have any way to use an AIO with it.

Fans are at full all the time. Threadripper Pros you cannot overclock. I have considered other cooler options but the issue is that people report still having overheating issues. I have 5 case fans already not including the 2 in the power supply.

I cannot add any fans to the top of the case without cutting holes in it. I will pass on doing that to an almost 1000 dollar chassis.

Wire management is very good nice and clear through the case.

I have 2 case case fans in the rear and 3 in the front. Those are 80mm fans. My problem is not heat buildup in the chassis. The chassis internal temps are about 10°C higher than the external ambient temps. When under full load that might climb another 5°C at most. Why is it that no one makes a cooler that works with these processors? Not even AIO coolers from what I have been reading don't do a very good job cooling them either. Some issue with the coolers not covering the entire processor. The ones that are linked to on AMD's website a bunch of the links are broken, one of the coolers says it's not made anymore ad the rest of them are not even close to being large enough to cover the processor.

I am going to pick up an infrared thermometer snd shoot the CPU cooler and see if the heat is getting up into the cooler properly. If it's not then I know it's a defective cooler but if it is then the cooler is simply too small. I have a funny feeling that the heat may not be making it up into the cooler properly because the system temps don't change much more than 5-8 degrees.