cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Apaxhren
Journeyman III

Threadripper PRO temps - Normal or concerning?

Hi all,

I recently got a new HP workstation with a Threadripper PRO 7975WX CPU. It has a custom cooling solution from HP. I've been stress testing it and noticed the temperatures seem to be quite high. After about 15 minutes of load on 3 out of 32 cores (6 out of 64 threads), I'm seeing temperatures around 95°C:

Tctl: +95.2°C
Tccd1: +94.7°C
Tccd2: +95.3°C
Tccd3: +94.4°C
Tccd4: +92.8°C

The workstation is in a well-ventilated server room. Are these temperatures normal/safe for extended use? I've been told that the temperatures "in the 90s" are normal for this CPU model under load, but I'm not sure if this is accurate. Should I be concerned about running CPU-intensive workloads for multiple days at these temps? Ideally I'd want to keep the CPU under load on all cores for extended periods of time without the temperatures hitting 95°C.

Thanks for any insights!

0 Likes
23 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

Apaxhren, please post screenshots of Ryzen Master (RM) running Cinebench R24 Multicore and Single core. John.

EDIT: The temperatures you posted are a little high, but they look like they came from a free application and may be really wrong. AMD does not show per-CCD temperatures and I have no idea how your app does that. Please also post RM screenshot for the test that yielded the temperatures you posted.

0 Likes

Hi misterj,

Thanks for your response! The workstation has Ubuntu 22.04 LTS installed on it, so I don't think I can run Ryzen Master or Cinebench R24 on it without e.g. Wine, but I could be mistaken. I ran "sensors" in the terminal to get the above temps (listed under k10temp-pci-00c3, Adapter: PCI adapter in the terminal output).

For stress testing, I wrote a Python script:

import multiprocessing
import time

def cpu_load():
    while True:
        pass

def main():
    total_logical_cpus = multiprocessing.cpu_count() # 64 in my case
    cpus_to_use = total_logical_cpus // 2 # Change to 6 for my specific test
    processes = []
    for _ in range(cpus_to_use):
        p = multiprocessing.Process(target=cpu_load)
        p.start()
        processes.append(p)

try:
    while True:
        time.sleep(1)
    except KeyboardInterrupt:
    for p in processes:
        p.terminate()
    print("\nStopped CPU load")

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()

0 Likes

Thanks, Apaxhren. You are correct Ryzen Master does not run on Linux. I did not know Cinebench only supported Windows, Arm and MacOS. Is there any way you could run W11? What utility did you use to see the temperatures. If is HW... I am suspicious of those readings. Thanks, John.

0 Likes
FunkZ
Grandmaster

First, congrats on the new workstation!

The Threadripper PRO 7975WX is a 350W TDP processor with a max operating temperature of 95°C, so it is going to be a challenge for any cooler to maintain temperature. AMD does not include a cooler with the processor but has published this list of compatible coolers for Threadripper.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/ecosystem/threadripper-cooling-solutions.html

There are no HP branded cooling solutions on the list, but you mention this is a "custom cooling solution" so possibly HP has contracted with a 3rd party manufacturer to design and make the cooler? Do you have any additional information about the cooler that was included with your workstation?

Ryzen R7 5700X | B550 Gaming X | 2x16GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 7900XT
Ryzen R7 5700G | B550 Gaming X | 2x8GB G.Skill 4000 | Radeon Vega 8 IGP
Ryzen R5 5600 | B550 Gaming Edge | 4x8GB G.Skill 3600 | Radeon RX 6800XT
0 Likes

Dear FunkZ,

Thanks for your reply! The reseller of the workstation sent this document to me when I asked about the specifics of the custom cooling solution ("HP G5 Performance Workstations: Thermal Management and Acoustics"): https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA8-3075ENUC

Based on the above information, it seems that the workstation uses a "HP Z Cooler".

The following, additional components of the cooling solution were also included in the quotation, but it doesn't seem like this is directly related to the CPU cooling:

HP Z6 G5 A PCIe Retainer with Fans
HP Z6 G5 A Memory Cooling Solution
HP Z6 G5 A Fan and Front Card Guide Kit

0 Likes

Thanks for the additional info.

Based on info in the doc you provided, (and the diagrams) HP is using a tower style CPU air cooler with a vapor chamber base.

To my knowledge, DeepCool is the only manufacturer currently making a retail vapor chamber CPU air cooler. However HP likely had their own cooler designed and manufactured to their specs that isn't available on the retail market. It is doubtful you'll find any 3rd party independent tests or reviews of the cooler to judge how good (or bad) it actually is.

Based on the temps you reported there is definitely room for improvement, as you are running right up against the TJmax temp of 95°C with only 10% of the cores loaded. As to whether that is detrimental to the processor, no it is designed to run up to that temp and will automatically throttle to stay below it. However that means you're losing performance.

The list of AMD compatible coolers are all of an AIO liquid cooling design. Unfortunately, looking at the diagrams of the HP G5 workstation case, there is no accommodation in the case for a radiator without making extensive modifications.

Another option could be to try and improve airflow through the case and in particular the CPU cooler. It seems there is only one intake and one exhaust fan, and no CPU cooler fan attached. It may be possible to attach a fan directly to the front of the CPU cooler tower to direct air through the fin stack.

0 Likes

Thanks, FunkZ. I would like to see the cooler the OP has and see the specifications. Any links? Thanks, John.

EDIT: I looked at the DeepCool Assassin 4S and it is specified for only 280 Watts. I still do not know what the OP has but suspect it is not adequate.

0 Likes

@Apaxhren posted this link detailing the HP G5 workstation cooling

https://h20195.www2.hp.com/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA8-3075ENUC

0 Likes

Thanks FunkZ, I saw those and did some research on Vapor Phase cooling, promising but not there yet. I remember when IBM went to what they called TCM which was the same idea but used the chilled water of the building as well as freon. Hopefully when we hear from the OP we'll know more. John.

0 Likes

Apaxhren, do you have the Premium processor cooling system? Please post screenshots of your temperature report utility. Have you tried any other sensor utilities like Lm-Sensors?  John.

0 Likes

@FunkZ wrote:

First, congrats on the new workstation!

The Threadripper PRO 7975WX is a 350W TDP processor with a max operating temperature of 95°C, so it is going to be a challenge for any cooler to maintain temperature. AMD does not include a cooler with the processor but has published this list of compatible coolers for Threadripper.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/processors/ecosystem/threadripper-cooling-solutions.html

There are no HP branded cooling solutions on the list, but you mention this is a "custom cooling solution" so possibly HP has contracted with a 3rd party manufacturer to design and make the cooler? Do you have any additional information about the cooler that was included with your workstation?

0 Likes
misterj
Big Boss

Apaxhren, please post the information I requested. John.

0 Likes
johnyboy
Adept I

I have the same machine HP Z6 G5 A, fitted with a 7995WX processor and that seems to exceed 95C when at full load for any period of time, I've seen 97 recorded for a few seconds. The CPU cooler has an integrated fan within the fins but doesn't even seem to start increasing in speed (audibly) until Temp is >92C, which seems a bit high to me. Air temp inside chassis is 19-20C.

I'm currently using Noctua NT-H1 paste, have tried reapplying in different patterns (or spread flat), but there's no difference.

I'm wondering whether the apps used for measuring temperature (I'm using core temp, and HP performance advisor) are misreading the temperatures?

Ryzen master won't work on the HP system, a pop appears to say "HP says no" when you try to install.

Currently have query in with AMD, and with HP. 

• HP say that typical loaded temperature are around 80C for this processor.
  • Awaiting an answer from AMD.

Unfortunately there's no space inside the chassis to fit a radiator properly. I might be able to mount a 280mm one vertically next to the vented side panel but would have to be quite creative I think.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

0 Likes

johnyboy, is it too late to get a full refund? This is the second pre-built I have seen with this problem and Ryzen Master (RM) blocked. Post screenshots of your monitors and I'll take a look, but as long as you have all the restrictions, I probably cannot help. The 7995WX has a maximum temperature of 95C, but the builder may have modified this in BIOS, but normally the processor should have shut down. I have a 3970X with an AIO and you have three times as many cores. I think a good AIO is really needed. There is not such thing as Normal. I think your temperatures are a bit high, but you need to talk to your builder about changing the cooler. John.

0 Likes

I heard back from AMD support who say that it's quite normal with the 7000 series processors to see temps of 95-96C, and absolutely nothing to worry about.

The processor doesn't seem to throttle back until after 96. Again this is quite normal according to AMD. HP claim the loaded temperature is much lower, but my guess is that they haven't really been applying much load.

I've seen 98 reached momentarily during some cfd solving. so I probably will fit water cooling, it'll need to be an external mounted radiator though as there's no space for an AIO. I think I'll probably go that way though.

I've switch to linux now though, so can't get a breakdown of cpu temps anymore.

Thanks, johnyboy. If they say so, but I disagree. John.

0 Likes

I would hope that AMD tech support would know what they're talking about re temperatures, but who knows?

Anyway, I got fed up with trying to fix WSL (on W11 Pro) to use more than 64 logical processors, so just switched to ubuntu over the weekend.

Interestingly linux reports the baseline temperatures to be around 5 degrees lower than windows. I guess it's just a more efficient OS, it's certainly much quicker. It will still creep over 90, but the fans start to get louder at a lower temperature.

For @Apaxhren - as the machine is in a server room, have you switched the fan settings in BIOS to "Rack" mode? I think it's under performance options in built in devices.

johnyboy, I do not use Linux, so cannot comment on it but it is clearly more efficient than Windows. What application did you use to measure the temperature in Windows? The fan curves should be adjustable in BIOS. I have always run my fans and pump on 12 Volts straight from the power supply. I have big slow fans and it works well. There is a Windows fix for WSL provided by a user. If you are brave enough to run it you can go back to W11. I will look for a link to the github link. John.

EDIT: Link to WSL fix for W11.

0 Likes

I was using core-temps and hp performance advisor to get measurements on W11.

There are only idle speed settings for fan speed in bios. The only additional setting is rack mode which switches all fans to near 100% - which is really loud.

I'm wondering whether to buy myself one of these:

https://shop.alphacool.com/en/shop/water-cooling-sets/external-sets/koe-alphacool-eiswand-360-cpu-bl... 

The cpu block is too small for a threadripper pro so that would need to be upgraded, but I think it'll cope with 350W easily enough.

I had a look at the WSL fix on git over the weekend, I gave up in the end as it doesn't seem to work beyond 64 processors anyway. Linux is so much faster it's not really worth persevering with W11, especially as most of the apps that I need work on linux - the intensive ones are native. If I really need some W11 access it'll be quicker if I run it inside a VM.

Cheers.

johnyboy
Adept I

I ended up fitting a water cooler, now the CPU sits at 30 - 40C when almost idle, up-to 55C under sustained load. So seems to have done the trick - it's much much quieter too.

Thanks, johnyboy. I really think this problem belongs on your system builder, they should pay for your AIO. John.

0 Likes

It was an off-the-shelf PC, I haven't heard of anyone else having significant issues, I suspect most of the 7995 based systems are factory fitted with professional gpu's and additional case cooling as a result - whereas mine was supplied without graphics (and the additional fans).

I don't think there was an inherent problem with the machine, but adding water cooling has opened up some options. Might even do the gpu too.

0 Likes

johnyboy, you are very kind. John.

0 Likes