cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

bambooos
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7900X on Asus B650E-F random restarts

After a month of using Ryzen 7900X with Asus B650E-F motherboard, I have faced some issues when started playing Anno 1800.

Before I started playing Anno 1800, my computer worked fine without any issues. Even so when playing other games, only Anno 1800 is crashing my computer.

Now even when sitting on desktop, it will restart itself randomly.

The crash is weird... it behaves as if someone hit the power button/reset switch, more details below:

1) By checking event viewer, no "error" or "critical" items are shown before the "unexpected shut down".

2) By checking reliability history, the only error shown is "unexpected shut down" as well, no other details.

3) Motherboard's bios is updated to the latest, bios version 1222.

4) AMD Expo settings on AUTO, Profile 1 and Profile 2.

5) I have tried using a 1660TI for GPU testing.

6) I have tried swapping out the PSU for PSU testing.

7) Memtest86 and windows mem test returns no error.

Things that I tried that seem to be working:

1) I have manually set voltage and CPU frequency to 1.25V and 5.4Ghz. It no longer crashes every time, but still does sometimes.

2) I have tried setting PBO to use Motherboard's specification. I no longer crashes from idling, but still crashes from Anno.

I am all out of ideas, and my return period is already passed.

Any help is much appreciated!!!

FULL SPECS:

Noctua NH-D15 
AMD Ryzen 9 7900x
2x16G 6000mhz CL36
Asus B650E-F
EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Seasonic Focus PX-750

Crucial P1 1TB

Crucial P3P 1TB

Crucial P3P 4TB

0 Likes
8 Replies
tipsy
Journeyman III

Have you gotten any success figuring this out?  i'm having the exact same issue, although my crashes happen without running any games, just idling for a few minutes all of a sudden freeze then crash.  New Box, same cpu and board as you, i have the my gpu is the XFX 7900 xt though.

I'm on bios 821 with expo disabled.

incredibly frustrating, wondering if i should return

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

Try using EcoMode 65 or 105watts and see if it improve or disable PBO. 

The RoG Strix B650E-F in my opinion has a weak VRM design for a Ryzen 9. Check VRM temps or get more airflow in that area, specially if you have an AIO watercooler.

Make sure you have both CPU power connectors to feed the beast (the CPU) 

If you can return it, i would, and get a B650E-E or a X670E-F

Tip about ASUS boards. E Gaming models are always superior to A, F, I, TUF and Prime.

For example, my old B450 E was superior to the X470 F 

Good luck 

The Englishman
0 Likes

I have returned the board and got a new one, no issues since. Running EXPO profile 1 at stock atm.

The motherboard was bundled by Microcenter for their deal, unfortunately I can not change it to something else with out significant cost increase.

0 Likes

I have the same problem and trying to return the motherboard to seller. Which mother board did you buy now?

0 Likes
tipsy
Journeyman III

Thanks for the tip, I think it might be a driver issue, i rolled back to 23.2.2 from 23.3.1 and the random crashes have stopped.

0 Likes

Which driver is this? Chipset?

0 Likes

Looks like they were talking about AMD Adrenaline

0 Likes

this was the Adrenaline driver, my bios 821 has been stable but i don't have EXPO enabled either

0 Likes