cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

elpatron2
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7600 - Any reason why PCI M.2 and GPU won’t play nice on CPU controlled PCI lanes?

I’ve got the 7600 running on a Gigabyte B650I motherboard. There are 3 total PCI M.2 slots, and 1 PCIe x16 slot for GPU. During my build I put together all components except the GPU, fired up Windows on M.2 ssd and loaded drivers with no issues. Then when I plugged in the GPU (RX6700) and tried to boot, my M.2 ssd could not be found in the BIOS.

Eventually I was able to boot up with both the GPU and ssd working but not until I set the motherboard to split the PCI slots @ 8x for GPU & 4x each for PCI M.2 slots A & B (both on CPU bus, my ssd is in slot B). PCI M.2 slot C is on the chipset bus and I would move my ssd there but it’s on the back of the motherboard covered by a metal plate and I really don’t want to take apart my ITX case again to get to it.

The Gigabyte B650I will supposedly bifurcate the PCI slots automatically but my experience only worked with manual settings. The problem is if I put the pc to sleep, when I go to wake then my M.2 with Windows installed cannot be found and I have to hold down power to shut down. Then another power cycle will get me back into Windows again.

I’m wondering if anyone is aware of any limitations on the Ryzen 7600 that would prevent the Gigabyte PCI bifurcation from working in auto mode as expected. Or if there are any known issues for wake from sleep?

0 Likes
2 Replies
ThreeDee
Paragon

Is your motherboard's BIOS up to date? .. might help .. might not

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes
elpatron2
Journeyman III

Just an update in case it helps anyone. I had to move my M.2 SSD to the slot on the back of the motherboard. Nothing in the gigabyte documentation acknowledges the conflict that I was experiencing but I suspect the motherboard is not able to adequately power or address both GPU and M.2 SSD boot drive on the CPU PCI bus. The M.2 slot on the back of the board is connected through the chipset bus so that seems to be the only difference as far as I can tell.

At some point I’ll add on an additional M.2 drive for extra storage and I’ll have to use the CPU bus slot again but I’ll cross that bridge when I get there.

0 Likes