Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Smartboomer
Adept II

Ryzen 7000-series boot time

Hi everybody

I am looking into building a 7900X system & donating my 5900X to my son. I have watched a lot of reviews and i'm aware of the "memory training" that Zen4 performs when you :

• boot up your new build for the first time
  • after enabling the EXPO profile or changing ram
  • after a power loss long enough to drain the caps.

However, i've found a reddit thread where a lot of users are reporting permanent slow boot speeds on a daily base with the memory already 'trained' so to speak.

To clarify: after a clean system shutdown, without loss of power, when you press the power button, you're still looking at a black screen for 30 seconds, before the BIOS logo appears.

After that, another 15-20 seconds to get to windows. The only work-around at this time is to leave the DDR5 running at the standard speed (not enabling XMP or EXPO) wich is silly.

Reddit thread can be found here Reddit 

I'm amazed at how little I am able to find on forums or tech channels about this issue. Are any of you experiencing this or able to get feedback from AMD ?

If this doesn't get fixed any time soon, i'm just going to stick with my 5900X or go Intel (as much as I hate to do that). It takes me 7 seconds to get to windows after pressing the power button on my current system and I can't believe people are okay with this nonsense after paying their hard earned cash. If we are supposed to be beta testers I would like to get paid for it.

Any fix to be expected soon or are we going to have to wait a few months to get things fixed as with AM4 ?

54 Replies
Smartboomer
Adept II

In december, right after I posted this thread, I bought the 7900X, with a MSI X670E Carbon motherboard and 32 gigs of G.Skill 6000 RAM. Everything is still sealed in it's box, still using my 5900X..

AMD really thinks this is a joke, we are now mid april and sh*t still hasn't been fixed...

0 Likes
kaminokage
Adept I

I have an ASUS X670ECrosshair Hero mobo with 32GB CL30 Corsair ram (2x16GB 8 EXPO enabled) and if you disable memory training in BIOS you won't even be able to load into WINDOWS...in my case it will just crash 

| AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO | CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MT/s C30 AMD EXPO | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT | CORSAIR RM1000i | PHANTEKS Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass Edition
0 Likes
ThreeDee
Paragon

Early adoption to a new platform will have some growing pangs .. it was the same when AM4 first launched

That being said .. on my Gigabyte board (B650M Auros Elite AX) and Samsung chipped Gskill DDR5 .. slow boot times with EXPO enabled (7950x) with AGESA 1.0.0.4 and 1.0.0.5c and sometimes failed boot.. but older 1.0.03 seemed to boot quicker and will still boot if BIOS settings failed whereas newer BIOS's .. I'd have to turn off the power supply and then turn it back on and then hit the power button on the case before it would boot to a BIOS settings failed boot screen

ASRock B650E Steel Legend AGESA 1.0.0.5c will boot quicker, but I've found that I can only make one change at a time in the BIOS .. save & exit .. repeat ..etc .. or the system will fail to boot and I have to turn off/on a few times (3 failed attempts setting can be changed to 1) to boot to defaults to get back into BIOS

Both setups are super fast and stable once I get into Windows and the sleep function works great and that's what I generally do instead of turning off .. just let it go to sleep. It's the rebooting that will lead to some irritation with certain hardware combinations

For now ... AM5 has the hardest time with Samsung chips over Micron or Hynix ..etc from what I've been reading online

ThreeDee PC specs
0 Likes

@ThreeDee wrote:

For now ... AM5 has the hardest time with Samsung chips over Micron or Hynix ..etc from what I've been reading online

It is especially fun as when first Ryzen hit the market everybody wanted Samsung b-die memory

p.s. proud 1800x owner

| AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR X670E HERO | CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6000MT/s C30 AMD EXPO | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080 V2 GAMING OC | CORSAIR iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT | CORSAIR RM1000i | PHANTEKS Enthoo EVOLV ATX Tempered Glass Edition

Ryzen 7000 was launched in august 2022..don't you agree they should have moved past most growing pains ? This is just ridiculous.

0 Likes
Pootch
Adept I

Setup UEFI:

• # enable"memory context restore" 
  • # enable "power down"

My boot time with EXPO enabled is now 2-3sec until postscreen. Before ~15sec

What cpu, motherboard, ram & bios version are you using ?

0 Likes

• MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI >>> BIOS 1409
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D (before it was a 7700 non X version)
  • RAM: G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16G (DDR5-6000)

0 Likes
ewki
Adept I

What bios version and mobo,and what is the expo frequency of your RAM kit? 

0 Likes

• MB: ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI >>> BIOS 1409
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D (before it was a 7700 non X version)
  • RAM: G.Skill F5-6000J3038F16G (DDR5-6000) >> EXPO profile "tweaked"
0 Likes
V_a_S_y
Journeyman III

Hello! Please excuse me for this question and if you can help. I have a Ryzen 7 3700X processor, how many voltages can I put on 4100GHz 4200GHz
4300GHz AND 4400GHz? Thanks a lot.

0 Likes

I think it will be better if you open a new topic    ; - )

The Englishman
0 Likes
KamAMD
Journeyman III

It's truly unbelievable that even after all this time, the persistent issue remains unresolved. I invested in 6400MHz memory with high hopes, only to find myself having to operate it at 4800MHz just to achieve a 25-second boot time. This is in stark contrast to my previous computer where the boot time was consistently under 10 seconds. The lack of fairness in this situation is quite frustrating.

Adding to the frustration is the fact that I spent a considerable sum of around $6500 to upgrade to the 7000 series, only to be confronted with the disappointing reality that my old computer outperforms the new one. As a long-standing supporter of AMD who has always favored them over Intel, I sincerely hope that you will address this issue urgently. The current state of affairs is undeniably unjust and needs to be rectified promptly.

DMD
Adept I

In my system with Asus ASUS ROG Strix X670E-F Gaming WiFi motherboard with bios v1415 and 4 memory sticks G.Skill Flare X5 32GB Kit DDR5-6000 CL32 (F5-6000J3238F16GX2-FX5) @ 6000MHz, I have a boot time of 17-18 seconds.

0 Likes

I see this on most DDR5 based systems, Intel and AMD.  I've also noticed boot times getting shorter over time as firmware updates are released.  My best guess is this, DDR5 platforms are still relatively new and there's a lot of fine-tuning left to be done.

I'm very excited.
0 Likes