cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

Lucy1
Adept I

Ryzen 7 2700X doesnt go past 3.3 ghz

my r7 2700x doesnt go past 3.3 ghz. Its always this low.

specs:

r7 2700X 

wraith prism cooler

AsRock A320M HDV

g.skill aegis 2x8 gb @3000 mhz

1 Solution
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

You should be getting at least close to 4.2 or 4.3 in small bursts but I'm afraid that the board you have isn't the best pair for your 2700X, VRM configuration is too weak to sustain the clocks for long. The Prism is not bad, in fact, it is quite capable but you may see limited performance there as well.

What to do:

Reset the BIOS to defaults and check if PBO is enabled. Check temperatures, check if the windows power profile is allowing 100% of CPU. 

My personal experience with A chipset boards on the 2700X is bad. The 2700X is very power hungry, it would draw plus 160watts to sustain 4.5ghz, but I had a 14 phase VRM board and lots of tweaking.

Good luck

The Englishman

View solution in original post

10 Replies
eebiii
Forerunner

Maybe a heat issue? What kind of CPU cooler do you have? Maybe time to reapply new thermal paste? Might just be to hot and bogging down. Just a few suggestions. 

0 Likes
eebiii
Forerunner

I see wraith cooler. wasn't paying attention. 

0 Likes

i replaced the thermal paste today i dont think heat is the issue

eebiii
Forerunner

Probably some setting somewhere you have to disable or enable. You're in the right place someone here should know. I'm not sure.

Try changing Amd Ryzen balanced power plan from high performance. See if your cores start boosting. You will only see clock boosts for a couple secs on cores. If you want a set clock on all cores you can manually overclock it.

0 Likes
eebiii
Forerunner

This person was having the same problem. 

Ryzen 2700 wont boost past 3.3ghz - AMD Community

0 Likes
johnnyenglish
Big Boss

You should be getting at least close to 4.2 or 4.3 in small bursts but I'm afraid that the board you have isn't the best pair for your 2700X, VRM configuration is too weak to sustain the clocks for long. The Prism is not bad, in fact, it is quite capable but you may see limited performance there as well.

What to do:

Reset the BIOS to defaults and check if PBO is enabled. Check temperatures, check if the windows power profile is allowing 100% of CPU. 

My personal experience with A chipset boards on the 2700X is bad. The 2700X is very power hungry, it would draw plus 160watts to sustain 4.5ghz, but I had a 14 phase VRM board and lots of tweaking.

Good luck

The Englishman

im selling my old gpu rn got any recommendations for a new mobo? 

also thanks for the explanation

At this time, I would set a clear objective or budget.

Want a future proof deal and budget is available? Get onboard the AM5 wagon.

Small budget but enjoying to play, get a capable AM4 and then after some months the 5800X3D. Still a very respectable CPU.

The Englishman
0 Likes

Totally agreed on not hoping to AM5 yet and going with a AM4. I believed and realized by the time we upgrade, there will be something way better next year. Similar situation with the new technology or socket like when Zen came out, always twice performance gain with half the power usage with whatever the next launch is going to be. Guess this is their way of prototype testing and with analysis they give out the best. Ryzen 1000 was great but 2000 was way better, then 3000 was a good uplift but 5000 was a massive boost of performance. Same thing with Graphics cards I guess..

0 Likes

I had similar specs. I keep least 4 year gap between computer upgrades. So I moved into the 5600X and s Strix X570. I always stick with the best performance with the least power consumption. What resolution you are playing at the moment? Maybe we can choose a appropriate  GPU along with it.

0 Likes