cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

AZURAclearbluesky
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 5600 and Ram stuffs

Hallo! I'm new to pc stuffs and gonna ask if Ryzen 5 5600 support  quad channel of DDR4 3600mhz ram, or does it only support lower frequency ram on quad channel

this my motherboard that i bought online ( https://en.colorful.cn/en/home/product?mid=84&id=77739642-fc4e-4092-b0f0-7eda70252e65 )

I'm running a dual 3600mhz (on XMP mode) and i want to add 2 more ram.

here is my specs

Ryzen 5 5600 

CVN B550M Gaming frozen 15

ADATA XPG D50 DDR4 3600Mhz 16gb 2x8

ADATA XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB 

SAPPHIRE Nitro RX 6600XT 

Steampunk 650w 80+silver PSU

(this my first pc build and wanted to upgrade from 16gb ram to 32gb) 

0 Likes
2 Solutions
misterj
Big Boss

AZURAclearbluesky, your processor specifications are here. They should answer most of your questions. If you add more memory, you may want to consider a more powerful power supply. Enjoy, John.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

Most Consumer Motherboards only support Dual Channel RAM.

The motherboard you linked Colorful shows this as its Memory Specs:

Memory 4 DDR4 memory sockets are provided, which can support up to 128 GB of memory (a single socket can support up to 32 GB of memory)
- Support DDR4-4000 (OC)/3800 (OC)/3600 (OC)/3200/2933/2666/2400MHz memory
- Support Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory technology
- Supports dual channel memory technology
(* Please visit www.colorful.cn for the latest memory compatibility list)

Normally Motherboards with 8 Dimm Slots (Ram Slots) might support Quad Memory like the ThreadRipper Motherboards that comes with 8 Dimm Slots normally supports Quad Channel and ECC RAM.

Found this article about how you can tell if your motherboard supports Quad Channel or not: https://motherboardsexpert.com/does-my-motherboard-support-quad-channel-memory/

The easiest way to check if your motherboard supports quad channel memory is to simply look at the motherboard itself. Channels are pretty much always color-coded. If four RAM slots are the same color, then it probably supports quad channel memory. Note that pretty much all modern motherboards that support quad channel memory have eight RAM slots (in two different colors).

If your motherboard has only four slots, it most likely does not support quad channel memory. But is there any other way to check does my motherboard support quad channel memory? And is quad channel even better than dual channel? You can learn all that and more by reading the whole article.

So to answer your question is No your motherboard doesn't support Quad Channel only Dual Channel so adding 2 more sticks of RAM for a total of 4 sticks will only have Dual Channel on each 2 Dimm Slots.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
misterj
Big Boss

AZURAclearbluesky, your processor specifications are here. They should answer most of your questions. If you add more memory, you may want to consider a more powerful power supply. Enjoy, John.

0 Likes

Most Consumer Motherboards only support Dual Channel RAM.

The motherboard you linked Colorful shows this as its Memory Specs:

Memory 4 DDR4 memory sockets are provided, which can support up to 128 GB of memory (a single socket can support up to 32 GB of memory)
- Support DDR4-4000 (OC)/3800 (OC)/3600 (OC)/3200/2933/2666/2400MHz memory
- Support Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory technology
- Supports dual channel memory technology
(* Please visit www.colorful.cn for the latest memory compatibility list)

Normally Motherboards with 8 Dimm Slots (Ram Slots) might support Quad Memory like the ThreadRipper Motherboards that comes with 8 Dimm Slots normally supports Quad Channel and ECC RAM.

Found this article about how you can tell if your motherboard supports Quad Channel or not: https://motherboardsexpert.com/does-my-motherboard-support-quad-channel-memory/

The easiest way to check if your motherboard supports quad channel memory is to simply look at the motherboard itself. Channels are pretty much always color-coded. If four RAM slots are the same color, then it probably supports quad channel memory. Note that pretty much all modern motherboards that support quad channel memory have eight RAM slots (in two different colors).

If your motherboard has only four slots, it most likely does not support quad channel memory. But is there any other way to check does my motherboard support quad channel memory? And is quad channel even better than dual channel? You can learn all that and more by reading the whole article.

So to answer your question is No your motherboard doesn't support Quad Channel only Dual Channel so adding 2 more sticks of RAM for a total of 4 sticks will only have Dual Channel on each 2 Dimm Slots.

0 Likes

I would like to add, even if your motheboard supports quad channel, the 5600 does not, meaning that it would not take full advantage of it.

Regards - Kahlimdor -