cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Processors

divedbyz3ro
Journeyman III

Overclocking by itself

Hi all, I've been trying to figure out why my processor overclocks by itself for a long time. I haven't overclocked the processor and I don't want to overclock it.

I have a GIGABYTE A5 K1 laptop with an AMD Ryzen 7 5800H processor. During gaming, the processor can reach 100 degrees by overclocking itself to 4000MHz when the factory frequency is 3200MHz.
Even when Windows is starting up, the processor heats up to >90 degrees. But in Idle state, the processor does not overheat or overclock at all.
How I tried to fix it:
In Windows 11 power settings, I changed the "max CPU state" setting from 100% to 99%, and set the two hidden settings "max CPU frequency" 3200MHz and "CPU performance boost mode" to Disabled (before that it was Aggressive).
The problem was solved for 2 weeks after I turned off "Aggressive" overclocking, but now this problem back again.
I suspect that the problem is AMD TurboCore function, which probably can be turned off in the advanced BIOS settings, but in this laptop it's hard to unlock the advanced settings.

I don't want to undervolt the CPU or limit the temperature with RyzenAdj, it's very bad for performance.

Help me, please! I'd be very grateful. I have no peace of mind when I'm playing and it's 100 degrees....

0 Likes
0 Replies